my last meet the players bit un-edited for what it's worth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack Reacher said:
Finny, I have no wish or desire to get very prtotracted about this

but

Your posts indicate that you have greater access to information from the club, which adds weight and kudos to any post you make

yes, you are quite correct you do not "mod" in the traditional manner, but because you have the title "moderator" against your signature, and the fact the you do have some sort of official capacity with the club lends you a position of authority. you are underminig that authority by "moderating by sarcasm", i.e. stifling debate with put down comments. if you were not a moderator or connected to the club then they would be totally acceptable. and yes i would probably be happy and fully support them

It is not the content, subject or accuracies of your posts that are the problem, but that you should not be making them from the positions you collectively hold.

do you receive any payment, reward or remuneration for services to the club in any way whatsoever? if so you cannot be a moderator on an unofficial forum, the two positions are totally incomaptible.

I say again. I am not being personal. I just want the forum to be independent

Jack
Excellent post Jack and spot on, I have posted my comments on the 'Romfo' thread and agree with many on here that there is no way Finny should be a moderator on this forum.

Clearly the role of moderator has changed to what I believe it entailed, as going by Finny's many posts on here a moderators role now appears to have changed to belittling, antagonising and winding up other posters who have the nerve to constructivley critique the club or his own point of view.

Finny

Centre Ice said:
Excellent post Jack and spot on, I have posted my comments on the 'Romfo' thread and agree with many on here that there is no way Finny should be a moderator on this forum.

Clearly the role of moderator has changed to what I believe it entailed, as going by Finny's many posts on here a moderators role now appears to have changed to belittling, antagonising and winding up other posters who have the nerve to constructivley critique the club or his own point of view.
That's not my role.
Merely a hobby.

Finny

I am not bringing to issue anything you have posted, only the manner in which you post with the "official" tags attached to you whilst you do so. You are obviously a very well informed, intelligent and humourous person so why resort to Sarcasm?

Finny said:
Perhaps it is time for me to admit that the real reason Romfo was released was that so they can pay me his wages too. And I'm just waiting for confirmation that all this money saved from the secret free rent will be going direct into my bank account too.
Sarcasm - no defence. I have not called into question anything you have posted or it's content only its composition. Why bring this up in this way?

Finny said:
Unfortunately that is not true. The only money I have ever recieved from the club was when I won the 50/50 last season. £65. Awesome. Although when I then worked out that spending £2 on tickets each game, for 30 games a season for around 20 seasons probably means that I'm yet to make profit........
I asked you a direct question of whether you get rewarded in any way by the club for anything that you do for them. This is a very generous club to its volunteers, I would find it very surprising if you do not recieve anything at all for you many efforts. If you do have any gain whatsoever, even so much as a free match night programme, then you have a conflict of interest by posting on this forum in the manner you do with a moderator signature.

Please can you answer this question. Do you receive any reward for anything you do for the Cardiff Devils?
If you do, then you represent the club in an "official" capacity

Finny said:
I could understand your argument if I was constantly modding people's replies - but I'm not. If people are looking at my Moderator tag and letting it affect the way they read my posts then that is really their fault not mine.
I have no secret agenda and I probably know less about the club than most people because I don't stay in the bar after games chatting to the management and players.
I think the argument speaks for itself when other forum members are feeling intimidated to post on subjects that you dominate with your "humour". Why demean posters by stating "If people are looking at my Moderator tag and letting it affect the way they read my posts then that is really their fault not mine." You do appear to be "Modding" by sarcasm, which coupled with your moderator signature and the links to the club, will always prevent an open debate and will restrict the vain in which any discussion can flourish.

You are very Pro club, which I am, and this is a good thing in my mind, but each member of this forum is an individual and is allowed to have their say, whether good or bad, or whether you like it or not. And they should not be openly ridiculed for their thoughts.

To some people the very fact that you have a moderator tag will prevent them from joining a debate, therefore no free speech! And again, I will call in to question your impartiallity.

Finny said:
I have no secret agenda and I probably know less about the club than most people because I don't stay in the bar after games chatting to the management and players.
I think anyone who talks to players and the like in the bar after a game will only ever get rumours and tittle tattle. You on the other hand make it no secret that you are in a position of Semi authority working for the club in a "stats gathering" role and to provide copy for printed media. Which again calls into question your impartiality on an independent forum. Other posters may "hear" things, but they only have a rumour forum such as this to discuss it with other like minded people. You are now leaving yourself wide open to accusations of restricting topics and conversations in favour of your other official role.

Finny said:
However, one someone comes out and says "why don't club do this" and it's obvious they are already doing it - I will respond. Do I need to be sarcastic? No. But then if the original poster was saying it with some attitude then I don't see a problem in that style of reply.
You are in fact quite correct, you should be entitled to respond, but not from 2 positions of authority and in the vain you do so. the very fact that you are connected to the club,like it or not you are, and the fact that you are a moderator means that you should act within the boundaries that it entails. The very nature of your replies to posts, to me, highlights a conflict of interests between an independent forum and working for the organisation.

You are giving people the impression of no impartiality between yourself, the club or the forum.

Finny said:
Some posters on here think they are untouchable. They can criticise players and the club but as soon as someone criticises their posting the waterworks come on.
absolutley immaterial. This is a public unofficial forum. any form of debate is welcomed and the posters will enevitably know the rules either official or rule of the playground, so it's their choice. and I quite welcome your part in such debates, your knowledge and stability on this forum is always welcomed by myself.

Finny said:
I don't want to have to resign as a moderator as I would like to think I have been quite helpful this season, both in promoting the Inferno on other forums and helping with MNL at the start of the season.
However, the final decision as always goes to the Admin of the site and if they want me off then that is what will happen.
your energies, help and resourcefulness are not in doubt, and I and other people are very grateful for everything to do with this forum and all of the hard work you undoubtedly do for the Devils organisation. But your own morality should make you aware of the way you post. You cannot keep posting with arrogance and sarcasm from the "official" positions that you hold

Finny said:
That's not my role.
Merely a hobby.
This was not intended to be a personal attack on yourself in any way, but I'm not sure if you understood why I have responded in such a way, but then you give a retort like the above, arrogance should never be associated with a moderator or "official" of the club.

Jack

Finny

Well in that case then I resign as a Moderator. As soon as James or Chris come on here they can change my settings and I will return to being a muggle like the vast majority. Because:

1. James and Chris and the rest of the team have spent too much of their time to set this forum and website up for it to be accused of being biased or impartial. It's not fair on them for their website to be slagged off just because some people can't face the fact that my opinion is sometimes different to them.

2. I am genuinely interested as to what their excuse will be next time they disagree with me. "Nasty nasty Finny gets away with it being a Mod blah blah blah". Well they haven't got that sob story anymore so they better think up some new ones. Maybe at the same time they will think up some more original usernames for their duplicate accounts.

So there we have it. No more 'officialdom'. Just another fan like everyone else. Ahhhhh.... what a weight off my shoulders.
So now we've got that over with....

Finny

Jack Reacher said:
I asked you a direct question of whether you get rewarded in any way by the club for anything that you do for them. This is a very generous club to its volunteers, I would find it very surprising if you do not recieve anything at all for you many efforts. If you do have any gain whatsoever, even so much as a free match night programme, then you have a conflict of interest by posting on this forum in the manner you do with a moderator signature.

Please can you answer this question. Do you receive any reward for anything you do for the Cardiff Devils?
If you do, then you represent the club in an "official" capacity
With the greatest of respect - what the hell has it got to with you if I recieve any reward? I do it because a) I enjoy it and b) I feel I am contributing to the club I love.

No I have never recieved a wage or any money from the club.
No I have never recieved a free programme. I buy my own for £3 every week. If you don't believe me then ask the lady who sells them (I don't know her name sorry).
I buy my own SOHB tickets each week. Don't believe me? Ask Mike, Viv or Stan.
I buy my own 50/50 tickets each week. Again - Sheila will confirm this. 1 lot from each book.
I've never had a free shirt, free mug or free parking.
I've even still got the ticket receipt for the Belfast game last Wednesday if you want me to scan it for you?

So no I am not being told what to say by the club. Never have never will. I'm just a volunteer. Just someone like Russky who takes up his own time to steward during the game - and we should all be grateful to people like him.

Anything else you want to know? Age? Height? Inside leg measurement? Favourite sexual position?

Seeing as all this is quite fun - anyone else who wanted to know all about me want to join in? Real names - who your favourite player is - have you ever held a position of authority in the club etc?

Perhaps I can get this back on topic by suggesting we turn it into an article for the programme?

Russky

Thanks Finny for the mention in your last post. but I dont want to get involved in your little altarcation with JR! I will leave you two get on with it! but may I be so bold as you to both conduct it via Pm! This is your disagreement! Cheers guys! I was joking when I said it was better than watching Eastenders! Can we please get this thread back on track?

Finny said:
Well in that case then I resign as a Moderator. As soon as James or Chris come on here they can change my settings and I will return to being a muggle like the vast majority. Because:
You may find this bizarre and very strange, but I am sad about this. The whole point of my posting in this thread was for you to act within the responsibilities of

1. being a moderator and 2. representing the club, albeit in a minor attachment, but nonetheless existent

I did try to explain that posts and replies and responses should be measured from a person of responsibility. You may not understand this but you do hold a position of unintended authority as a moderator on this forum, the "loose" connection with the club and therefore within the Devils fan community

You're knowledge and insight are gratefully received by most on this forum

Finny said:
1. James and Chris and the rest of the team have spent too much of their time to set this forum and website up for it to be accused of being biased or impartial.
It's not fair on them for their website to be slagged off just because some people can't face the fact that my opinion is sometimes different to them.
Their impartiality and fariness has never been in doubt, neither has their integrity or support for the club and for their upkeep of the forum and website under their own expense. I for one am extremely grateful for the services you have all provided, lack of funds kept me from the internet for a long while never mind going to a game.

If, as you say, there is no conflict of interest then how can what you post have any bearing on their integrity? and who is, or has "slagged off" their website? The whole product is well balanced and very well presented.

Finny said:
2. I am genuinely interested as to what their excuse will be next time they disagree with me. "Nasty nasty Finny gets away with it being a Mod blah blah blah".
Well they haven't got that sob story anymore so they better think up some new ones.
If you continually attack people with your brand of response, then you will always be a target for people without a better reasoning or argument. maybe it would be more prudent not to ridicule and pilory, but to use your knowledge and wisdom more wisely?

I bow to your greater insight of the Ice Hockey world, and you deliver great depth of knowledge,
but with your connection to the club and the venom in some of responses it makes for bad reading and restrains some of the would be contributors to this forum.

Finny said:
Maybe at the same time they will think up some more original usernames for their duplicate accounts.
Does it really matter that much to you if someone wants to use a psuedonym, nom de plume or alter ego? Is it really a problem if someone wishes to remain annonymous. I'm very sure that that works both ways and some of the more "pro" club posters also have multiple or duplicate accounts or for that matter the possibilty of some of the club officials. and I'm sure that you being so close to the club and having moderator access to the forum, they will be wary of someone finding out such information.

just curious, how do you know people have duplicate accounts or other usernames?

If you weren't so personally well known then your user postings could easily be mistaken for a stooge or staged user account by a member of the club. only postulating :)

Finny said:
So there we have it. No more 'officialdom'. Just another fan like everyone else. Ahhhhh.... what a weight off my shoulders.
So now we've got that over with....
but you are still connected to the club, yes, ok, as a volunteer,but still in a more priveliged position then most, and as an "official stat keeper" i'm sure that you are privvy to more detail then most on this forum therefore you are continually arguing from a stronger position and any information divulged by yourself is inadvertantly deemed to be more accurate or important.

Hence my initial worries, you are in an unique position of inside knowledge & also a moderator on an unofficial forum that should have no links to the club.

A foot in both camps so to say

Finny said:
With the greatest of respect - what the hell has it got to with you if I recieve any reward? I do it because a) I enjoy it and b) I feel I am contributing to the club I love.
No respect needed here. I have no doubt as to the depth of feeling you show towards the club, it is very evident throughout your posts and I salute your contribution to the club

I personally do NOT need to know WHAT you recieve from the club. In fact I genuinely hope you do recieve something as a reward for your labour of love. This club seems really appreciative for the people who help it, so I'm all for you getting something in return for you efforts

The question was "DO you receive any reward for anything you do for the Cardiff Devils?" not "What?"

the question was asked because if you receive anything from the club at all, then you are in an official capacity and therefore you should not be posting as you do on this forum, you defend the club so severely with sarcasm and aggression, so it is of more importance to the people you ridicule and belittle here as to how close your ties actually are, as it is unjust to post an argument from an unfair advantage of inside knowledge. There's nothing I need to know here.

So again it is not what you post per se, but how you post that is the issue for most of the forum members that are showing disdain.

Finny said:
No I have never recieved a wage or any money from the club.
No I have never recieved a free programme. I buy my own for £3 every week. If you don't believe me then ask the lady who sells them (I don't know her name sorry).
I buy my own SOHB tickets each week. Don't believe me? Ask Mike, Viv or Stan.
I buy my own 50/50 tickets each week. Again - Sheila will confirm this. 1 lot from each book.
I've never had a free shirt, free mug or free parking.
I've even still got the ticket receipt for the Belfast game last Wednesday if you want me to scan it for you?
I am please that you can support the club in this fashion, I cannot afford to buy a programme and have to bum a looksie from others around me, so I am genuinely jealous of that fact.
I only used the programme as an example, in fact as a contributer to such media, I would expect you to recieve a free copy, as it would also help in maintaining the information reqiured for your stats gathering.

Finny said:
So no I am not being told what to say by the club. Never have never will. I'm just a volunteer. Just someone like Russky who takes up his own time to steward during the game - and we should all be grateful to people like him.
No-one has suggested that you are being told what to say, again it is how you are saying it that some forum members have an issue with.
And again I am very very pleased that you have the time and inclination to volunteer and can actually do some good.

Finny said:
Anything else you want to know? Age? Height? Inside leg measurement? Favourite sexual position?:
Sarcasm again, why attack? and no I'm not really interested in any of the above.

Finny said:
Seeing as all this is quite fun - anyone else who wanted to know all about me want to join in? Real names - who your favourite player is - have you ever held a position of authority in the club etc?
But you see this is not fun. You still hold a position of attachment to the club and should respond accordingly with the ettiquette that that appointment dictates.

Finny said:
Perhaps I can get this back on topic by suggesting we turn it into an article for the programme?
i suggest this exchange is a very good topic for the programme, who has overall editorial control? Rolf?

Sheincar

Jack Reacher said:

Jack
Very generous to its volunteers :lol: Please tell me you're having a laugh!!

rolf

Thread starter #36
if i was in editorial charge of the programme, there would be lot more humour, nudity, profanity and scurrelous rumours, mainly made up by me. my two basic principles in life, ready?

1 never let the truth spoil a good story

2 never let anyones feelings spoil a good belly laugh

there you go, pretty well sums it up for me.

anyways this is my thread about ME and my EFFORTS from when finny sniped at me to do better. dunno if i did or didn't, what i do know is that i got off my erse and fronted up instead of being cow-towed. so far about 4 people have expressed some support for my efforts, one of whom has been spoken to (albeit nicely) and a few have found my typo on tim and craig poocock (oh no, dun it again) hilarious........really? bet they still read the chuckle brothers annuals and text each other with pmsl,lol,lol,rofl......whatever that lot means

for what it's worth i didn't get paid a cockle, didn't expect to and bought my own programmes too during that period, i also feel somewhat saddened by finny falling on his moderator sword. i shall miss his well-reasoned moderating.

if, in the future, i can think of anything to write for the match day magazine which may prove to be of interest, then i'll submit it, however i don't aspire to be a major contributor and never will and i have absolutely no problem with either the editorialism applied to my work or the choice of contributor to the visitors piece. let normality prevail.

I would just like to quickly add that i have never had any problems whatsoever with any of finny's posts or his role as a moderator. If people don't like his posts then they are free to disagree with him as he does with them, i don't think his role within the club should have any affect on the way he posts on here, he doesn't have that much insight i would have thought with the role he takes.

Chris

Administrator
To try and get this back on track, i've enjoyed reading rolf's posts, something different and refreshing to see! I don't know about the content of the programmes as i've been in Nottingham, but as a standalone piece they've worked for me :)

Chris.

rolf said:
if i was in editorial charge of the programme, there would be lot more humour, nudity, profanity and scurrelous rumours, mainly made up by me. my two basic principles in life, ready?

1 never let the truth spoil a good story

2 never let anyones feelings spoil a good belly laugh

there you go, pretty well sums it up for me.
Excellent, rolf for editor then. I think the programme, whilst always a fantastic effort, has benefitted from rolfs insertions. Much like on this and other forums as posters we can all become bogged down in the serious when there really isn't any need. Lighten up peeps, if you're all good boys & girls santa might let uncle rolf off his chain again next year. Wouldn't that be nice?

Sheincar

Sheincar said:
Jack Reacher said:

Jack
Very generous to its volunteers :lol: Please tell me you're having a laugh!!
So how are the club "very generous" to the volunteers?

Status
Not open for further replies.