my last meet the players bit un-edited for what it's worth

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolf

Thread starter #1
I really tried to do a grown-up piece for this one, but still suffered the editors censorship, so here it is in full, cos all of my humour seemed to end up on the floor. My last meet the visitors bit, I'd appreciate any feedback, good, bad or indifferent.

Allez allez up for the challenge cup semi final 1st leg tonight. Here come the Belfast Giants intent on making their second leg business easier by ensuring a tight match here tonight to take back to the O with the intention of running riot over us. Looking at their recent form that could be a distinct possibilty as they lit the bulb 11 times against the vipers last week. Blimey Charlie, don't fancy their leccy bill much! As current holders of this trophy, they will be determined to retain it, so we must bring our A game out tonight and I am quite sure that G will have his team in the right place to meet this challenge. Could we have harder opponents? Probably not, however the old sporting analogy that to win anything you have to beat the best will be typified by this tie, so the devils might as well get them out of the way now.....

So what are we looking at here? Let's start with coach Thornton, the man with golden phone, who has pulled together a formidable mix of muscle and magic. Just when all of us armchair coaches agreed that this league has seen off the need for out and out enforcers, in comes Sean McMorrow to prove that the armchair knows nothing. Then as if that wasn't enough, once George Awada was diagnosed long-term sick, Thornton only goes and signs Jeff Szwez another bloke who can not only make goal nets bulge, he can do it to yer eyeballs an all if he feels the need. I think it fair to say that Steve-o thinks along very similar lines to our own coach G, as the Giants have gone with a brit netminder to allow for an extra import out-skater and overall team toughness mixed with some seriously skilled feisty forwards. All of his roster know their roles and they play to them and their strengths exceptionally well. Some of us old uns will remember Thornton as a member of the invincible devils black line of the superleague era and as we brought him over here we can pretty well lay claim to him as ours, so the Giants should be glad to benefit from a bit of satanic wisdom and foresight. I am sure they are too!

Much has been made of Sean McMorrow, most of it probably tinged with some envy-shaded green and most of it uncomplimentary too, well outside of Northern Ireland anyways. Whatever our perceptions of him may be, they probably miss his point. He is used sparingly on the ice but his presence is immense and that allows his team-mates the freedom of expression they currently enjoy. He knows his job inside out and, as a consumate professional, he performs every night, every shift he plays and even the ones he doesn't. Who mentioned pantomime dames? Not me. Oh yes you did! Oh no I didn't......errm well yes maybe, seemed a good idea at the time ahem, still he's a lovely bloke off the ice and I cannot skate, so I'm safe enough........

It's the Brits in the team which have made a massively under-rated contribution to the Giants success this year in my opinion. In Colin Shields they have another import-grade player. Crikey he's deadly isn't he? Tim Peacock is another to trouble the scorers, where did he come from? Ok Peterborough I know, but his transition into our top league has been nothing short of meteoric. Will the tidy lad from Merthyr back stop them tonight? It is the Craze(y) cup after all. Here's another gift to the Giants from us devils. We are too generous, perhaps we should re-name ourselves the "Ambassadors" after the ferrero rocher advert when he spoils his guests with that chocolatey thingy. See how I manage to get a cheap chrimboh reference in? Only 9 more sleeps kids........

Rolf

Russky

Nothing irks an article writer more than a over cautious pc prone editor!! I have thoroghly enjoyed your uncensored articles Rolf! Pity your humour and perspective is not shared by those who have editorial control over the match programme content.

Rolf's been a breath of fresh air to the programme, and as I have stated previously should be given his own column. Call it maybe 'Behind the plexi with Rolf', where he can muse about whatever hockey/Devils/supporters topic takes his fancy.

Russky

Russky said:
Nothing irks an article writer more than a over cautious pc prone editor!! I have thoroghly enjoyed your uncensored articles Rolf! Pity your humour and perspective is not shared by those who have editorial control over the match programme content.
This was not in any way an attack on those editing or putting the programe together, I was just stating a personal opinion, which unfortunately been interpreted by some as a direct personal critique! Having written for the programme myself I can understand why certain parts are amended or omitted if they can be construed as being in an unfavourable tone by those reading the programe, even if no offence was MALICIOUSLY intended by the writer. I dont think the latter is the case with Rolf's articles and I personally would have just classed it as written banter without any offence intended!

I would also like to thank those involved in putting the excellent programe together as they work damned hard to produce what I consider to be the best match programe in all of British Hockey! Suffice to say they know who they are!!! They do have to make some tough judgement calls on articles, particularly if they are a little controversial in their content remembering that the programme is a representation, in written form, of the club itself!

Carry on the good work!

rolf

Thread starter #11
russky, i'm not sure what has prompted this post, i hope no-one has been beastly to you sausage...............

rolf

Thread starter #13
hmm so who might that have been and why would they feel the need anyways? there are some folk with their heads so far up their arses all they must smell is shit

Kipper

rolf said:
hmm so who might that have been and why would they feel the need anyways? there are some folk with their heads so far up their arses all they must smell is ****
Now now Rolf. :lol: You've got to be careful what you say. My club just got fined £500 by the WRU for some of my "inappropriate" opinions.

Finny

rolf said:
hmm so who might that have been and why would they feel the need anyways? there are some folk with their heads so far up their arses all they must smell is ****
Who would that be?
I know who made the decision as they have asked me to resume doing the article. And they are as far removed from that description as is possible.

I do believe though Rolf that they have offered you the chance to use your style of writing for a different type of article in the programme. Will you be taking them up on the offer?

I was under the impression that this was an independent unofficial forum

I rely on this site a great deal as I cannot always afford to go to games and would like this forum to keep on the way it is. If there are any politics they should not be aired in a semi - official way through this independent forum.

however, Finny, you appear to be in the employ of the club in some capacity and therefore have access to certain information that makes your decision making as moderator anything but independent or unofficial. I'm referring to comments not just in this thread, but mainly in the Romfo released thread predominantly.

you seem to be moderating by sarcasm, yes your facts and knowledge are good and of value and you do seem balanced at times, but you cannot be a moderater, be part of the establishment and comment on this forum in manner which you do, they are not compatible.

for me this is the best source of information regarding Ice Hockey / Devils that I have access to, please please guys don't do any more damage to it

Finny this is not a personal attack, I don't know you, I am just fearful of the forum descending into anger and animosity which would prevent the free flow of debate and information.

Finny

I am not in the employ of the club. Never have been.

I have been the voluntary statistician for the club since 2002 and have also on and off written for the match programme. There are other people on this forum who do far more than me.

I had stopped replying in the other thread in the hope it just died down as it had gone totally off-topic.

However, you don't need to have inside knowledge to comment on that other thread to know how inaccurate some of the ideas are, just a very good knowledge of mathematics.

There is nothing wrong with people coming up with ideas. As long as they don't get all upset when people respond to those ideas. I don't see any conflict with my role as a moderator on here by giving my opinion.

How many people have I moderated on here since I was asked to be a Mod? The only time I can remember having to do anything was when some swearing needed editing out.

Finny, I have no wish or desire to get very prtotracted about this

but

Your posts indicate that you have greater access to information from the club, which adds weight and kudos to any post you make

yes, you are quite correct you do not "mod" in the traditional manner, but because you have the title "moderator" against your signature, and the fact the you do have some sort of official capacity with the club lends you a position of authority. you are underminig that authority by "moderating by sarcasm", i.e. stifling debate with put down comments. if you were not a moderator or connected to the club then they would be totally acceptable. and yes i would probably be happy and fully support them

It is not the content, subject or accuracies of your posts that are the problem, but that you should not be making them from the positions you collectively hold.

do you receive any payment, reward or remuneration for services to the club in any way whatsoever? if so you cannot be a moderator on an unofficial forum, the two positions are totally incomaptible.

I say again. I am not being personal. I just want the forum to be independent

Jack

Finny

Perhaps it is time for me to admit that the real reason Romfo was released was that so they can pay me his wages too. And I'm just waiting for confirmation that all this money saved from the secret free rent will be going direct into my bank account too.

Unfortunately that is not true. The only money I have ever recieved from the club was when I won the 50/50 last season. £65. Awesome. Although when I then worked out that spending £2 on tickets each game, for 30 games a season for around 20 seasons probably means that I'm yet to make profit........

I could understand your argument if I was constantly modding people's replies - but I'm not. If people are looking at my Moderator tag and letting it affect the way they read my posts then that is really their fault not mine.
I have no secret agenda and I probably know less about the club than most people because I don't stay in the bar after games chatting to the management and players.

However, one someone comes out and says "why don't club do this" and it's obvious they are already doing it - I will respond. Do I need to be sarcastic? No. But then if the original poster was saying it with some attitude then I don't see a problem in that style of reply.

Some posters on here think they are untouchable. They can criticise players and the club but as soon as someone criticises their posting the waterworks come on.

I don't want to have to resign as a moderator as I would like to think I have been quite helpful this season, both in promoting the Inferno on other forums and helping with MNL at the start of the season.
However, the final decision as always goes to the Admin of the site and if they want me off then that is what will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.