Murdy ...

kingmo19.1

Thread starter #1
I'd like to see Lordo give him some gametime - proved what he could do earlier this season, now seems to be permanently benched !

Koop11

I was surprised not to see him start the 2nd leg of the CC QF home to Dundee with a 4-1 lead going into the game.

Murdy has certainly proved he can play but with the league title challenge so close I think you have to roll your starting goalie unless he hits some poor form.

Kal

I'd like to see Murdy more but I couldn't tell you where I'd have put him in. Its not like we're even starting games well getting ahead so that he could maybe see a game out. I reckon Murdy didn't play the 2nd leg because lets face it Bowns isn't the wall he was last season and it was an opportunity for him to gain confidence/form in a game with less pressure on him.

august04

Murdy has proved he's good enough to start at this level. I accept Bowns is number 1 but if you don't give Murdy more minutes, you risk him leaving next year. I'd be amazed if he is still here next season under the same circumstances.

kettdevil1

It's a difficult call but a good one to have to make. The problem with sitting Ben is that for me, he is a NM who gets better and better the more he plays so you run the risk of reducing his effectiveness by putting in Murdy but you run the risk of losing Murdy if you don't.....

The league is the goal this year so you play your best NM in as many games as possible, that is Ben so I suspect Murdy will have to wait his turn.

Electro

For me it's a confidence issue across the team, there have been games against teams that we should have been able to rest Bowns in and that we should have not so much walked but at least not been chasing. Maybe it's pressure to succeed, performance suffers when the reaction to this pressure affects team dynamics, especially if players aren't feeling the coach has much confidence in their current situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ASHIPP

I would imagine there is a strong possibility Thomas would leave if there is a #1 position available and offered next season elsewhere in this league . And there probably will be and he would deserve it. From the games he has already played we can see how confident he is.

It's a dilemma for the Club when we have two strong goalies - but I imagine other teams have already seen how well he plays and if he is ambitious, no amount of looking after by our Club would keep him from fulfilling his dreams. Think he would be a massive loss and very difficult to replace simply because he is so good.

I might be remembering this wrong, but I thought Bowns stepped up after he had a little rest when Murdy came in. I don't think anyone can say that Bowns has been as good as he has been past couple of seasons (that said, wouldn't want anyone else as our first choice NM), and I really don't see the harm in giving Murdy a run.

pjj365

A dilema indeed

Agree with playing Ben to keep him in form but also believe Murdy deserves more ice time. Glad I'm not the coach

The only thing that crosses my mind is the Habs last season who collapsed when Price was out. If that should happen to us we need Murdy firing on all cylinders and that sureky means ice time

Devil_Abroad

For me it's a confidence issue across the team, there have been games against teams that we should have been able to rest Bowns in and that we should have not so much walked but at least not been chasing. Maybe it's pressure to succeed, performance suffers when the reaction to this pressure affects team dynamics, especially if players aren't feeling the coach has much confidence in their current situation.

Another dig at Lord?

Electro

Since it is Lord that decides whether to ice Murdy, then yes, it's another criticism of Lord.

Johnnybravo1927

Murdy knew he was here to play second fiddle. He would have know Bowns is 1 of the best NM in the league and that last seasons back up hardly featured. He on those grounds must have been prepared to be 2nd place. I cant imagine Bowns leaving anytime soon so Mr.Murdy will have to leave if he has ambitions to play regular 1st choice EIHL hockey.

Gospel

Id like to see Murdy play this weekend, sadly Ben hasnt been at the top of his game but thats not me reasoning.

My reasoning is how the D play differently with the different guys in net. When Murdy plays they dont fanny about infront of him, they keep it simple & move the puck quickly & i feel thats what we need right now.

We seem to find ourselves behind from the off in recent games, we end up playing our go to guys so much with Lord shortening the bench & these guys are on their knees already. If this keeps going we will run out of steam.

ASHIPP

Murdy knew he was here to play second fiddle. He would have know Bowns is 1 of the best NM in the league and that last seasons back up hardly featured. He on those grounds must have been prepared to be 2nd place. I cant imagine Bowns leaving anytime soon so Mr.Murdy will have to leave if he has ambitions to play regular 1st choice EIHL hockey.
And if he is offered a starter position at another elite league club, he deserves it- he's that good.

And that will be a massive loss to the Devils. We haven't had the luxury of 2 strong goalies since the Herlofsky/Lyle era.

Murdy knew he was here to play second fiddle. He would have know Bowns is 1 of the best NM in the league and that last seasons back up hardly featured. He on those grounds must have been prepared to be 2nd place. I cant imagine Bowns leaving anytime soon so Mr.Murdy will have to leave if he has ambitions to play regular 1st choice EIHL hockey.[/QUOTE

I can't see Ben leaving he's just bought a house in Barry and I should know I work on the site and I fitted the windows lol

wildthing74

Dundee game I agree I thought he would play but that game aside I can't see when we would not have started Ben recently?
Other than Panthers who have 2 import goalies and Giants in similar situation to us with Murph & Whistle I think Murdy will be happy with his minutes compared to other back ups in the league.
He is still young enough to wait and see what happens next year maybe we can roll both more if the league goes the 2 decent goalie route like ISL?