Man of the Match

TheStub

3 stars, but with a panel of "wise men" who discuss the decision at the DJ booth quickly at the end.

The US teams benefit from the media interest, so they have the "members of the press" voting. Who are usually less focused on "their" team, and sit together for most the game.

ASHIPP

Whilst there were some stand-out hardworking performances last night from Devils' players, the player in red most deserving of the MOM award was Stevie.....by a country mile.

Very close run games like last night's are often determined by the performance of the netminder. Murphy played well but Stevie was simply outstanding. :cool:

Whilst our entire pk performance was excellent, Stevie was always in control and confident, particularly when the Devils started to come under pressure in p2, and were tiring in p3. Stevie looked confident and in control - he made the difference. He made some saves he had no right to :shock: , and, for me, put in one of the best games I have ever seen him play. Well done, Stevie.

Any members of the press and most of the crowd would probably have cast the same vote.

dave

Stub there is quite a discussion with wise people!
I tend to think of 3 players and then go from there depending on their influnence on the game or a key times in the game etc..Hence last night I went with Lyle.

Will say Josh tends to figure quite a bit lately. For a first year pro he looks very solid and getting more and more used to skating with the puck and starting the transition plays.

I would like to think we get a justifible winner on the vast majority of cases but some people will look for different things in players and games and that is all good for the debates...

TheStub

Re: Re: Man of the Match

dave said:
Stub there is quite a discussion with wise people!
I tend to think of 3 players and then go from there depending on their influnence on the game or a key times in the game etc..Hence last night I went with Lyle.

Will say Josh tends to figure quite a bit lately. For a first year pro he looks very solid and getting more and more used to skating with the puck and starting the transition plays.

I would like to think we get a justifible winner on the vast majority of cases but some people will look for different things in players and games and that is all good for the debates...
That's why I like the three stars. Last night there were a good few Devils I'd have chosen above Giants in a 3 star list. But that is my confirmation bias kicking in.

Batch has been great. Clare gave the biggest compliment you can for a D "is Batch icing, I've not noticed him". We have a strong D core this year, and he is equal to them all at the moment.

dave

I would love the 3 star system to be honest and even to the level that they skate out after they have left the ice..But I can not seeing happening. Tradition and sponsors etc

Without bias would you ever dare to give an Away player 1st star??!! I can think of one performence this year where it would have been tempting...

TheStub

Not in our barn this year. Maybe Zemlak with Fife or Pelle in his first game back for Giants

First star is the player with biggest impact. Ironically it is usually a Devils player this season.

dave

TheStub said:
Not in our barn this year. Maybe Zemlak with Fife or Pelle in his first game back for Giants

First star is the player with biggest impact. Ironically it is usually a Devils player this season.
Zemlak good shout even Craze but the stand out for me this year was Fox from Nottingham..

Can not imagine what would have happened if we did do it that way and Pelle did get it. Would have looked like chuck a puck again!!!! :eek: :D

TheStub

I love the bit on Season 1 of Oil Change where an Oiler gets the first star in IIRC Minnesota, and actually skates out to accept it. Talk about a maelstrom.

What a windup merchant.