Man of the Match

Thread starter #1
Why do netminders get MOM so much?

I don't begrudge Lyle MOM for a standout game, but it is so often now it becoming farcical.

There have been other guys out there who have given everything and more, and have earned that as much if not more than Lyle on times.

TheStub

For me it should have been Pierce, with maybe a shout for Benny the Bull.

Lyle made some game winning saves, but Pierce kept the momentum with Cardiff all game. He must have been tripple shifting at points.

TheStub

The 3 stars is no dissimilar to our MoM. The press vote (or whatever deciding group) for the best 3 players in the game - for either team.

So your 1st star is the stand out player of the night, but you can also recognise other players.

For me tonight may have looked

1. Pierce
2. Lyle
3. Davies

Perhaps mix Murphy in at three - but no Giants actually stood out for me tonight.

Skippy

Re: Re: Man of the Match

TheStub said:
The 3 stars is no dissimilar to our MoM. The press vote (or whatever deciding group) for the best 3 players in the game - for either team.

So your 1st star is the stand out player of the night, but you can also recognise other players.

For me tonight may have looked

1. Pierce
2. Lyle
3. Davies

Perhaps mix Murphy in at three - but no Giants actually stood out for me tonight.
I like the three stars thing a lot. Much better way of doing things than just picking one from each team.

Tonight for my money something like.

1.Hill
2. Davies
3. Murphy

TheStub

Trouble is the total alien nature of it over here.

It would confuse most new fans. MoM is a direct link to the other sports in this country. People are happy with it, and understand it.

What's confusing about having "Three Stars" ? It's three players, who were stars.

I'm starting to like the idea of living in New Jersey more and more recently.

devils2001uk said:
in hockey isnt the away team to pick home mom and the home team to pick away mom, so it up to the coaches ?
I think you'll find this only applies to Junior hockey in the UK.

If enough people have an issue with the present "method" of how the MOM is chosen then perhaps we should try the 3 stars system, and the crowd could get more actively involved in the process.

They had a Bluetooth system at the BBT a year or so back - perhaps that could be brought back somehow??

Finny

I thought Lyle was MOTM by a mile tonight. Made some fantastic stops and faced a huge amount of rubber in those final two periods.

Voting systems don't work. You need only look at the Player of the Month award for that.......

Skippy

Re: Re: Man of the Match

Sheincar said:
Didn't the Bluetooth voting fail because people just voted for their favourite player no matter how awful a game they'd had?
That seemed to be what happened yeah.

I know some of us struggled to get a vote to register as well

osh

Clare said:

:eek: Yes please!! I"m liking the idea of you going to live there as well, you won't be able to whinge so much and criticise everything about the Devils set up from there. :mrgreen: Can I help you with the fare?

Sheincar said:
Didn't the Bluetooth voting fail because people just voted for their favourite player no matter how awful a game they'd had?
I think Brad would have won MOM last night if Bluetooth voting was i use. ;)

dave

We have long said that we would like a 3 stars system and it does have merit.
My reason for lyle was due to he was deceive reason why Belfast only scored 1. Shots on goal is one thing but the amount of clear scoring chances he snaffled was huge.
Jeff and ben work tiredly but end product to make the difference in the game was missing.

osh said:
Clare said:
:eek: Yes please!! I"m liking the idea of you going to live there as well, you won't be able to whinge so much and criticise everything about the Devils set up from there. :mrgreen: Can I help you with the fare?
Just now and again, the forum gives a priceless bit of banter
:lol: