Latest rink update

Wannabe2

Thread starter #2,221
People constantly walking in front of your eyeline is so annoying, I wouldn't do it to others it's called common courtesy but not everyone consider others so need to be told unfortunately. People pay to see the game, not other people.Todd used to tell people in the BBT, hopefully that can continue in our new home.

Foxy

ok ladies toilets were an utter disgrace last night......... one set completely closed and redirected to bar toilets. Majority of those were blocked and unuseable. The remaining ones you had trouble flushing and then no pressure on the water to wash your hands. Sorry this is basic health and safety :(

pjj365

Foxy said:
ok ladies toilets were an utter disgrace last night......... one set completely closed and redirected to bar toilets. Majority of those were blocked and unuseable. The remaining ones you had trouble flushing and then no pressure on the water to wash your hands. Sorry this is basic health and safety :(
Get that one too wrong and City health departnent could shut the arena down

pjj365 said:
Foxy said:
Get that one too wrong and City health departnent could shut the arena down
Only after giving a reasonable time to put things right.

You want a good Facility...employ a good Facilities Manager. My CV is on-line! :lol:

Koop11

The arena itself looks more like home with the boards and ice covered in sponsors. Well done to the Devils management team for their hard work in pulling all these in over the summer. Also the newly incorporated corner bars in the arena itself will help ease the congestion during period breaks.

There is evidently some problems still to be resolved which appear to come down to the number of staff on game night. This I’m sure will be worked on over the pre season. For me the lack of phone coverage is the biggest frustration, although I understand the sound proofing put into the ceiling is the reason for this. Wifi maybe the only answer to addressing this but I appreciate this would come at a cost (no idea how much).

This weekend’s games were one of the coldest I have ever experienced in a rink/arena (and that includes Murryfield!). I appreciate it is warm outside and to keep the ice hard and shape their needs to be certain amount of air con on but that felt a lot colder than the games we played at IAW at the end of last season. It would be useful to know whether that temperature is going to be the norm throughout the season. No bother if so but useful for fans to be aware of.

Overall I feel I can’t complain. We are so lucky to have the facility that we do. It’s a great feeling coming down the Bay to watch our team in arguably the nicest hockey facilities in the country.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #2,226
Koop11 said:
The arena itself looks more like home with the boards and ice covered in sponsors. Well done to the Devils management team for their hard work in pulling all these in over the summer. Also the newly incorporated corner bars in the arena itself will help ease the congestion during period breaks.

There is evidently some problems still to be resolved which appear to come down to the number of staff on game night. This I’m sure will be worked on over the pre season. For me the lack of phone coverage is the biggest frustration, although I understand the sound proofing put into the ceiling is the reason for this. Wifi maybe the only answer to addressing this but I appreciate this would come at a cost (no idea how much).

This weekend’s games were one of the coldest I have ever experienced in a rink/arena (and that includes Murryfield!). I appreciate it is warm outside and to keep the ice hard and shape their needs to be certain amount of air con on but that felt a lot colder than the games we played at IAW at the end of last season. It would be useful to know whether that temperature is going to be the norm
throughout the season. No bother if so but useful for fans to be aware of.

Overall I feel I can’t complain. We are so lucky to have the facility that we do. It’s a great feeling coming down the Bay to watch our team in arguably the nicest hockey facilities in the country.
Spot on Koops, it was very cold this weekend, coldest I have ever been in a rink, As you rightly say, it's a real pleasure to go to our new home, and it only took 10 yrs to get it, but it's a beauty.

Devil94

To be fair, I noticed a lot more arena staff this weekend than last season. I don't go to the bar or cafe or anything so can't can't comment on waiting time, but it definitely seemed like there was more staff.

Ocko

Main cafe queues were huge. It won't be resolved unless another cafe opens somewhere else. We have one cafe serving hot food (chips etc not just hotdogs) with 2/3 service points for up to 3000 people. To put it into perspective Nottingham and Sheffield have one per two blocks with about 5-8 points, and you still queue there. One cafe will never work well, no matter how prepared they are, such a BBT/WNIR mentality, when crowds were potentially half the size.

Also, benches again. Anyone else notice how the Zagreb backup NM had to sit on a chair in the walkway outside of the bench because he couldn't fit? This will be a common theme with more team than not running 4 lines. It's just crap, has to change.

I love this rink, the whole effort that fans put in to getting it make it really mean something and the foundations are there for it to be a stellar facility. Silly mistakes and the lack of hockey knowledge/interest really hold it back though.

There is obviously a cash flow issue, corner bars were paid for by brewery. The gym that they were meant to have doesn't seem to have happened, curling facilities haven't materialised either. We have a dance studio that is hardly used, if at all (and that's from figure skaters) yet the merchandise shop is tiny, much smaller than the BBT.

august04

ice pie said:
Are there any other outlets for hot drinks, other than the cafeteria? When it's cold, and/or you drive, you don't always want beer...
I think the bar sells coffee too. It would be nice if those new corner bars served hot drinks also.

James

Administrator
Credit where it's due, the side bars certainly worked a treat both nights when I wanted beer or food. No queue at any point. I did nip down for a visit to the vending machines in the cafe area though and the main cafe queue was immense. As long as I don't fancy chips its all good.

pjj365

Have the new stewards been trained in venue etiquet?

Tonight someone was waiting in the aisle to go back to their seat at a break in play. A steward came down and asked them to take their seat. After a short (and it must be said polite and smiley) debate he did so disturbing 4 others all of whom were, needless to say, sympathetic.

Nevertheless he must have thought why bother being polite to fellow fans

davew

"colection" is the least of the problem with this set up. I envisage chaos.

Some ticket and ST holders will want to enter the rink via the cafe....but how will they be able to if the way is effectively blocked by people queueing to buy/collect tickets!

The same applies to the lift access and the shop.......

This is where the poor facility design comes back to bite. You either have to have a game day ticket office like at sheffield..prob in a portakabin toward the road and bus stop, or will have to allow ST holders access via a fire exit (the one between blocks 7/8 would be best as it is away from the main queue). Disabled access via the signed lift access could prove awkward trying to get through the ticket queue....

Hope i'm wrong!

Ocko

If ST holder wish to go in through the cafe entrance then they can always walk through skate hire and behind the reception area and into the cafe. Not ideal, but it works.

pjj365

Ocko said:
If ST holder wish to go in through the cafe entrance then they can always walk through skate hire and behind the reception area and into the cafe. Not ideal, but it works.
Assuming ST (and pre bought ticket) holders do not have to go through the bar this is the only way in This also assume the turnstiles are disabled

If ST holders do have to go through the bar (or a side enterance) then to get to the cafe you will need to enter the cafe through the main entrance. To be fair though walk ups tomorrow will be a small minority so going against the flow should not be that bad

But the numbers going through skate hire/bar will be horrendous to which will be added walk ups who want a pre -game drink

All in all though this is move forward so let's see how it goes - it can always be refined

TBH though with a near capacity arena it could be horrendous

pjj365

Electro said:

We have an improvement to the ticket issue.

Who can spot the poor spelling.

It's in the colection of words.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This might be deliberate given the use of "ll" in Welsh - sorry I'm going to bed!