Latest rink update

BostonBart22 said:
the placid casual said:
Its like Planet Ice all over again
get a grip you lot, never please some people, most of us been waiting for this fantastic arena since we left wnir. as lomg as i see what i am paying for which is ice hockey i couldnt care 2 hoots about teething problems, ok the toilets may have a few issues but foodwise take your own like many fans do until it gets better which i,m sure it will or would the victor meldrus of this world like you lot want to go back to a bbt facility, JOG ON i say. :x
Sorry I forgot to lol, lol

Electro

I guess the correlation between having a successful IAW and having a home for the Devils have been lost on certain posters. Yes the owner group have stated their willingness to purchase the IAW, after all you cannot play ice hockey without a rink. That does not mean if a sale was likely, that it would be possible for the owner group to purchase or that other options regarding other parties are not a possibility. It wouldn't be the first time a new rink was built only to be demolished a few yrs later.

It's in the Devils supporters and rink users best interests to voice concerns, hopefully then there rectified before people stop visiting.

It's a simple fact that the IAW has to be profitable, no matter who owns it. If not, it's an expensive hobby that frankly nobody would want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BostonBart22 said:
the placid casual said:
Its like Planet Ice all over again
get a grip you lot, never please some people, most of us been waiting for this fantastic arena since we left wnir. as lomg as i see what i am paying for which is ice hockey i couldnt care 2 hoots about teething problems, ok the toilets may have a few issues but foodwise take your own like many fans do until it gets better which i,m sure it will or would the victor meldrus of this world like you lot want to go back to a bbt facility, JOG ON i say. :x
I have also been waiting since the WNIR. If a long list of people hadn't bickered, moaned, whined, protested, argued and fought tooth and nail for not only IAW but the tent as well, you may well have not had anywhere to watch ice hockey. Now there is a first class facility which is not being run/treated as such. Don't forget, we are Devil's fans but IAW customers. If you're not happy with the standard of service you receive anywhere else, you complain. If you don't, you will continue to receive a lower standard of service. People have mentioned things to the arena management and seem to have been ignored. In my opinion, that's not good enough.

Electro said:
I guess the correlation between having a successful IAW and having a home for the Devils have been lost on certain posters. Yes the owner group have stated their willingness to purchase the IAW, after all you cannot play ice hockey without a rink. That does not mean if a sale was likely, that it would be possible for the owner group to purchase or that other options regarding other parties are not a possibility. It wouldn't be the first time a new rink was built only to be demolished a few yrs later.

It's in the Devils supporters and rink users best interests to voice concerns, hopefully then there rectified before people stop visiting.

It's a simple fact that the IAW has to be profitable, no matter who owns it. If not, it's an expensive hobby that frankly nobody would want.

Those last two lines are spot on.

pjj365

Nobody denies the on ice experience and the arena itself is superb. Nobody is knocking those who fought to get where we are. In fact it could be argued that off ice they have been let down

The issue is the finishing "touches"

Todd has also been misled. He promised a better off ice experience which (other than gents which do not smell) has not materialised. He deserves our support and if this means pointing out the flaws in here so be it

I fully accept that the operation has to be profitable and I do not know the operational finances to know whether the revenue is there to fix the issues. What is a given is that investment brings a return and lack of investment can generate a decline.

For example bringing your own food is a perfect solution but,in theory, this would bring a decline in cafe sales thus reduced profit. Better srevice should reverse this. Similarly poor facilities will result in declining attendances . Not from die hard Devils fans I would suggest but from the casual attendee and non hockey users thus causing a further decline in revenues and thus profits.

There seems to be a lack of awareness of this basic principle of business

august04

It's not just the "finishing touches" though. Blocked toilets, taps not working, dryers not working, no loo roll etc were all things we had to put up with at both the WNIR and the BBT. It's really not a surprise we're seeing similar issues is it? There's a common theme here. However, I thought it might take longer than 5 months though before we started to see this kind of thing at IAW. Then we get on to the "finishing touches", for which there doesn't seem to be the will or the way to get resolved. Taking your own food and hot drinks isn't the answer - getting facilities in place which can cope with crowds in excess of 3000 is. If they're still struggling with catering at events like this past weekend, then God help us when the Devils' season starts. It really beggars belief. The only way this may change is if the Devils buy this arena and get professional people to operate it. That day can't come quick enough.

Electro

The lack of finance is pretty obvious, a development that had been planned for for so many yrs, then stalled due to lack of housing sales was unlikely to have sufficient funding compared to say a traditional project lead by a traditional business. Greenbanks only interest was to achieve further home building contracts across the city.

Maybe it's in someones interest to see the IAW fail, l have no idea what if any agreements are in place should it fail. Like I've stated , it wouldn't be the first rink in the UK to fail and be replaced.

Mooney#16

If your selling a house do you plough all your money into it or do you put in the least possible to get the sale and return.

If there appears to be a lack of investment. Why would that be.

I'll clarify that's not an I know something post but a putting two and two together post.

pjj365

Mooney#16 said:
If your selling a house do you plough all your money into it or do you put in the least possible to get the sale and return.

If there appears to be a lack of investment. Why would that be.

I'll clarify that's not an I know something post but a putting two and two together post.
This is a fair take - assuming there is a plan/hope to sell the arena.

On the other hand there is a fine line between minimum investment to sell and that minimum investment turning into neglect with a consequent impact on price

I guess we assume BAU and continue to nag at the same time hoping someone with vision, commitment and operational skills buys it

Electro

Your kinda right and completely wrong.

If you have an established business, a set of accounts that provide evidence of value spread over a reasonable period of time, after all, nobody would purchase anything above its value, well you may, but it's unlikely as stupidity rarely retains financial prosperity. If you have all that you may get away with not upgrading certain locations within say the rink or your home. It could be justified, but it's not unusual for that to impact the price your willing to pay, you may well decide to use that as justification as to your offer below the asking price.

With a new development or entertainment venue without a strong set of accounts and a building of insufficient structure to allow for growth your unlikely to get a sale.

So is underinvesting a young business such a clever ploy. No, it would be very foolish indeed.

It could well be argued that it would prove to be a bargain, the owner group may well foresee an opportunity. Greenbank may well want to off load it, I'd say it would be highly unlikely a sale would be possible at a bargain price. Since the Devils have owners with the financial ability to purchase it. Plus frankly the Devils without the IAW is basically nothing, this then puts one of the parties in a very good position. It's poker face time.

I'm looking forward to the opening this year of the ski slope and remaining phases. Although it's looking like someone needs to get a move on.

It's safe to say the whole development has been a complete shambles, I've experienced premeditated movement and planning to influence outcomes. This project, the various incarnations and timescales etc etc shouts out a complete lack of commercial will, understanding of the market and frankly incompetence.

The St David's development on the other hand was a completely different story. Had the relocation of the rink and phases had the same commercial appetite it would have been built within a couple of years. The very reason for the difference is basically the sport of Ice Hockey, skating etc etc at that time and even at the moment is so limited, long term prospects are poor, that makes it difficult to attract commercial confidence. It's not going to attract mainstream investors. It needed to be part of a development, incorporated into a more mainstream facility or an area that attracts large numbers of passing foot traffic.

For the IAW to remain, it needs to function, it needs to promote, it needs to develop. How viable it is to make it successful, even if the Devils owner group wanted to buy it, would it cost more to develop than it could make. In the current location, without the next phase being completed l'd say no, it's not viable, that may well be why the owners currently do not own it. If the next phase, ski slope, shopping, hotel, parking was to be completed, yes it could, but it's also likely to make it too costly for the owner group and it may well attract other investors.

pjj365

Lot of good arguments from Electro developing the simplistic house sale theme

One thing though deserves highlighting and that it is a young business. This is so true. It is not just a refresh of the old arenas but this seems to be the mind set

Chris

Administrator
Over 200,000 views and 4.5 years after Wannabe2 created this topic, we're changing it from a sticky to a normal topic.

The rink is built, we've moved in and it's just 'small' things left to fix now compared to where we were when the thread was originally created.

If anything radically changes then we can always stick it back as an announced topic, but for now it's just a normal one :)

Wannabe2

Thread starter #2,197
220 pages, 4-1/2 yrs, 200,000 views love it, as been said we are finally home now, thank god. Now just enjoy the Hockey.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

Electro said:
Let's hope it's better than the last 30 yrs.

Indeed....Agree completely

Mods....Can you pin this thread back in 30 years times so we can debate if the first 30 years or second 30 years were the best!

Ta

:lol: