Latest rink update

Ocko

august04 said:
James said:
It was a plan on the ice with all the sponsors on. Some haven't been announced officially yet so the Devils asked for it to be withdrawn. Nothing juicy sorry :)
How disappointing! :D
Anyone heard whether improvements have been made or are planned to be made for the following niggles that I had during the last few games of the season at IAW?

Mobile signal/wi-fi - seems that may be partly answered above with 4G available in the second pad area. Any wi-fi in the main arena?
Goal lights - couldn't see them properly and they were too far away from the ice to view immediately.
Scoreboard - I recall we didn't have the full scoreboard available as the ice couldn't be seen from the DJ booth, so the game was shown on the scoreboard instead with reduced scoreboard graphics. There was talk of the DJ booth being relocated higher up on that balcony area. Is this still happening? The full scoreboard was used at a Fire game and it was great.
Benches - doesn't look like anything will be done there sadly.
Catering facilities - anything planned to get around those massive queues?
I standby to be corrected on this but this is what I have heard: The scoreboard thing; I believe the Devils have always had the choice of the scoreboard that the Fire used, that is the standard one. The Devils use a different system to everyone else so that they can utilise their graphics, replays and in game video; this isn't possible on the standard option. We use the same system as Sheffield I believe. I don't think it was because of the view from the DJ box (although that is also a flaw).

Having been to the rink a couple of times over the summer I don't think there have been any alterations to the points you've made. The catering could be assisted with extra stands I suppose but nothing permanent is in place.

The benches are the biggest issue for me still. it doesn't make the game impossible but having used double stacked, it's just crap and unnecessary for a new rink. There has to be some sort of work around, even with a door covering the steps acting like a barrier with a moveable bench that gets opened and moved during the interval. That extra metre or so would make a big difference.

The issue is, and I get it, are those alterations neccassary from a Greenbank/IAW point of view? Absolute not. If they pay to make the alterations will it increase their profits? The catering might, but the rest won't. Unfortunately unless the Devils end up owning the place I think what we have is what we've got. At least in the medium term.

It must be hugely frustrating for the Devils, having a landlord that is so disingenuous. The whole point of the rink was to home an established Ice Hockey team as well as recreational skating etc etc. The very basics of the whole project if not purposely detrimental, have been shambolic. Made worse by a management who ran the WNIR, l can only conclude since he is still employed has been restricted. If not l would imaging he'd be no longer in that role.

Will be interesting to watch how the visitors for the preseason games cope with the benches during line changes, I'm sure publicly there will be no comment and everything will be amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pjj365

Electro said:
It must be hugely frustrating for the Devils, having a landlord that is so disingenuous. The whole point of the rink was to home an established Ice Hockey team as well as recreational skating etc etc. The very basics of the whole project if not purposely detrimental, have been shambolic. Made worse by a management who ran the WNIR, l can only conclude since he is still employed has been restricted. If not l would imaging he'd be no longer in that role.

Will be interesting to watch how the visitors for the preseason games cope with the benches during line changes, I'm sure publicly there will be no comment and everything will be amazing.

I doubt the benches are a major issue for visting teams. All teams put with all sorts of benches over a season and, anyway, as you say there will be no public comment

What may be public is the fan experience which will reflect badly on the Devils if not fixed

I did mention some changes a few pages back, beginning of the season might be pushing it. Mid to end of 2017 more likely. The U.K. Will have started negotiations with the EU the £ likely to drop further making it a good time to snap up a bargain and with the end of a full season will give an actual account of the business within the IAW. I'm sure if the financials make it more than a punt, Todd will be in a very good position financially.

august04

Well, the Zamboni seems to have been upgraded (although the boards have been badly scratched as it has scraped the ice around the edges - not sure if the new one or old one did that) and the bar is a lot better.
Disappointingly, the mobile signal was still a problem for me (fluctuated between no service and one bar but really not useable). There's still no public wi-fi, although IAW staff and Devils office networks are visible so maybe public wi fi is something we may see. I really hope the goal lights are improved. No change there yet but they really need to be closer to the plexi glass. I hope the Devils use the in play scoreboard as it was displayed at the Allstars event today, so much better than the video screen used last season.

Actually it's good to hear that some progress on those small issues have been and are being addressed.

If it helps www.goallights.com do a good range , although you have to be in North America to view. Maybe the owner group could ship out. But better than the current B&Q stock.

pjj365

Very disappointed (again) with the slow delivery of food orders this weekend. Does not bode well for a full house. 15 mins for meal deal will not work. It appeared to be a planning thing - not enough pre-prepared but you would have thought by Sunday they would have learnt from Saturday

Bar area is comfortable but far too neutral as is the main arena, there are water stains on the bar ceiling already, main Gents toilets all blocked up and toilet paper in short supply, only one hand drier, plenty of urinals a few hand basins but then a queue for the hand drier. So there is still a few design flaws and a few operational glitches

pjj365

Rabbitohs4 said:
Moan moan moan ;)
These post are more critism than moans - there is a massive difference. Without this would IAW think all was fine - who knows. In particular the toilets seems a genuine public health concern.

We all want our great facility to be the best - it has some way to go

Ocko

Unfortunately it seems as if it's falling on deaf ears.

As you've said, it still has some way to go.

It could really be an amazing facility. At the moment it's decent, but that's it. I'm not sure if it's arrogance, cash or ignorance but there are numerous things that must be put right.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. It would appear that history is repeating itself, the goal lights, the toilets & lack of paper , the hand drier and the slow service are all things we saw in the early days of the tent. What these facilities have in common is management and staff. This is their second crack at it and they appear to be making all the same mistakes. Having only been in IAW once I have to say I was impressed with the facility but after making my way through the fag butts on the way in & out and reading people's criticisms I do fear that it is currently not being looked after as well as it should. Do Greenbank oversee the running of the arena or are the management just left to their own devices? It may be worth presenting a list of people's gripes direct to Greenbank and seeing if a different response is forthcoming.

pjj365

Gingers Husband said:
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. It would appear that history is repeating itself, the goal lights, the toilets & lack of paper , the hand drier and the slow service are all things we saw in the early days of the tent. What these facilities have in common is management and staff. This is their second crack at it and they appear to be making all the same mistakes. Having only been in IAW once I have to say I was impressed with the facility but after making my way through the fag butts on the way in & out and reading people's criticisms I do fear that it is currently not being looked after as well as it should. Do Greenbank oversee the running of the arena or are the management just left to their own devices? It may be worth presenting a list of people's gripes direct to Greenbank and seeing if a different response is forthcoming.
Don't think presenting a list (good idea though it is) will work. I understand that they have ignored the council on the fag butts issue where as a smoker I find the provision poor

I would not necessarily criticise the operational management - they work with what they have got including presumably funding and targets. Nevertheless this is not the BBT nor is it the old Cardiff Arena so maybe a new team would help but only if the top down will and funding is in place

the placid casual said:
Its like Planet Ice all over again
get a grip you lot, never please some people, most of us been waiting for this fantastic arena since we left wnir. as lomg as i see what i am paying for which is ice hockey i couldnt care 2 hoots about teething problems, ok the toilets may have a few issues but foodwise take your own like many fans do until it gets better which i,m sure it will or would the victor meldrus of this world like you lot want to go back to a bbt facility, JOG ON i say. :x