Latest rink update

Koop11

Tomorrow is the first day of August, the month that the spades for the new rink are due to hit the ground. I noticed that the construction on the houses as part of Cardiff Pointe have begun directly opposite the BBT. My understanding is that this element of the development is going some way to funding the build of the rink itself. I hope that they have/can sell plots otherwise we could be looking at long delays in the project which would not surprise me at all.

It would be interesting to see whether an update from Greenback or anyone associated with the development will be forthcoming during the next few weeks.

Update required as soon as possible I think.

Not long before our new rink needs to be being built if we are to complete in time for 2014/2015. No ground broken to the best of my knowledge yet.

We should be looking for an update from Greenbank within the next two or three weeks IMHO. If not.....????

Ask and ye shall receive. Well, in a manner of speaking.

At present Greenbank is in the process of entering an Agreement with a Contractor to build the rink. There's a bit more work to do in terms of the design of the steel work (unfortunately, the building will be on the site of an old landfill tip, so as you are essentially building on plastic bags and other far less pleasant material, there's a lot of effort that needs taking to ensure the slab will be stable) and the finishing touches need to be put on the architecture.

Meetings have commenced with the Local Authority about discharging those planning conditions that need to be signed off before we are allowed to build, and subject to how these go and how the design work progresses, we are hoping to be able to sign off on a fixed price for the rink in September/October, with a view to starting immediately thereafter. At the moment it's a 16 month build, which I hope includes operational fit out.

I appreciate it's been a long slog for everyone - not only the Devils but all the figure skaters, amateur and junior teams as well as all the families that visit the rink just for the pleasure of skating- but everyone is going full tilt to get the building up and ready, and considerable sums of money have already been expended by Greenbank to make the building and the operations something that everyone can be proud of.

I can update as and when I have news if you think it worthwhile.

Regards

rocketbob

Pooneil said:

At present Greenbank is in the process of entering an Agreement with a Contractor to build the rink. There's a bit more work to do in terms of the design of the steel work (unfortunately, the building will be on the site of an old landfill tip, so as you are essentially building on plastic bags and other far less pleasant material, there's a lot of effort that needs taking to ensure the slab will be stable) and the finishing touches need to be put on the architecture.

Meetings have commenced with the Local Authority about discharging those planning conditions that need to be signed off before we are allowed to build, and subject to how these go and how the design work progresses, we are hoping to be able to sign off on a fixed price for the rink in September/October, with a view to starting immediately thereafter. At the moment it's a 16 month build, which I hope includes operational fit out.

I appreciate it's been a long slog for everyone - not only the Devils but all the figure skaters, amateur and junior teams as well as all the families that visit the rink just for the pleasure of skating- but everyone is going full tilt to get the building up and ready, and considerable sums of money have already been expended by Greenbank to make the building and the operations something that everyone can be proud of.

Regards
Thank you for the update. It is much appreciated. I definitely think future updates are very worthwhile and would be welcomed by users of this forum as well as all interested parties.

Koop11

Thank you very much to Pooneil for the update. I’m not sure who you are in relation to the project but your response suggests that you are very knowledgeable about where we currently are with things.

It is useful to ascertain some of the detail with what needs to happen before the build can move forward. I must admit that it is a little concerning to hear planning conditions need to be signed off (by the local authority?) before the contractor can begin to build. In my ignorance, I thought that all planning conditions fell under the planning committee approval in May this year. I’m not in the industry myself so I’m sure this is standard procedure.

The suggestion that there is ‘hope’ the fixed price for the new rink will be signed off in Sept/ October means that work will be delayed from the intended date of August (or at least that was what was suggested previously). The suggestion that it’s a 16 month build ‘at the moment’ which is hoped will include operation fit out all but confirms to me that the Devils will not be playing out of their new home during the 2014/2015 season. I honestly didn’t expect us to and in some ways thinks it’s a smother transition if we move in at the start of a season (2015/2016). Financially though, I’m not sure what impact this delay might have on the club in the meantime.

Whilst my post may come across a little disheartening, it is not reflection on the dedication and commitment of those parties involved. I’d like to again thank Greenback, SORAC, and even CCC for efforts in making this dream become a reality…….one day ;)

Pooneil said:

Regards

Thank You for this update, we do know the identity of the poster, pressure on the developers is not going to get a new rink any quicker, well not of the standard we are expecting. I think we should just be thankful that it is going ahead at all. I am certain a temporary facility could be constructed far more quickly but we have been there, done that and it is time we had the facility Cardiff deserves and if the Devils have to wait half a season so be it

osh

Thanks for the update and for SORAC's comments. There was never any chance of us playing out of a new rink - despite all the optimism - prior to Christmas 2014, and it now looks like we will have to settle for the start of the 2015/16 season. Doesn't detract from all the hard work put in by so many good people, just a shame that we cannot use the 'moving in to a brand new arena next season PR' in order to attract new players for 2014/15.

Sheincar

Personally I don't expect to be in the new rink during the 14/15 season & TBH I think I'd rather finish a season @ BBT & then start new season in new home. Avoids having to adapt to a different rink at the business end of season.

Chris

Administrator
No.

I've started praying it'll survive another couple of winters ;)

Although it's starting to look a bit worn, there's nothing majorly wrong with it at the moment is there? (touches wood)

James

Administrator
They are pretty awful but the mens at least have a long way to go before they are anywhere near as bad as the WNIR ones. I remember having to swim for it once in there :S

Koop11 said:
Thank you very much to Pooneil for the update. I’m not sure who you are in relation to the project but your response suggests that you are very knowledgeable about where we currently are with things.

It is useful to ascertain some of the detail with what needs to happen before the build can move forward. I must admit that it is a little concerning to hear planning conditions need to be signed off (by the local authority?) before the contractor can begin to build. In my ignorance, I thought that all planning conditions fell under the planning committee approval in May this year. I’m not in the industry myself so I’m sure this is standard procedure.

The suggestion that there is ‘hope’ the fixed price for the new rink will be signed off in Sept/ October means that work will be delayed from the intended date of August (or at least that was what was suggested previously). The suggestion that it’s a 16 month build ‘at the moment’ which is hoped will include operation fit out all but confirms to me that the Devils will not be playing out of their new home during the 2014/2015 season. I honestly didn’t expect us to and in some ways thinks it’s a smother transition if we move in at the start of a season (2015/2016). Financially though, I’m not sure what impact this delay might have on the club in the meantime.

Whilst my post may come across a little disheartening, it is not reflection on the dedication and commitment of those parties involved. I’d like to again thank Greenback, SORAC, and even CCC for efforts in making this dream become a reality…….one day ;)

Sensible post Koop and in the scheme of things it is only 3 months as far as the Devils are concerned ( Could have lost that in unforseen construction delays ). I think it was always far more realistic looking at the following season, that gives the off season to allow for any delays. I can understand why there is concern, but it is 12 weeks, therefore 12 home games approx. I don't think jumping up and down over this will make any difference and indeed may harm the club's future working relationship with the new operator ( Greenbank )

There are however issues with the condition and maintenance of the BBT and these need to be addressed with Cardiff City Council and Planet Ice

Koop11

Couldn't agree more Jody. Certainly no need for alarm and from my point of view the suggested delay in some respects will be a blessing. I think people will feel more confident about the whole thing once work actually begins.

The later point is a very important one. 2 more full seasons in the BBT means there needs to be some investment in maintenance otherwise I fear the place my not last that long. It was previously reported that the BBT was built with a 3-5 year spec. As things stand, we will have been playing up to 9 years in the ‘temporary’ structure before we actually leave. Talk about Empire Pool part 2!

What we must all be thankful of is that if it wasn’t for SORAC and other hard working people, we would not even have had the BBT to keep us going and the skating community would have died in South Wales.

It is a pity that next season has been billed as 'the last full season in the tent' because that has fuelled the expectations of the fans thus creating the disappointment.

On a plus side at least the club will have the car park donations for longer

Koop11

http://www.cardiffdevils.com/devils-tv/ ... 5-08-2013/

November now being suggested as the start of build but could be as late as January as planning approval allows for up to 9 months to commence build. This interview pretty much confirms that the project means two more seasons in the BBT with a proposed Spring 2015 completion. If it goes beyond that, Regan suggests he 'won't be a happy chappy'.

mazza03

What sickens me is the fact that although CCFC has a bew stadium I'm betting that the planning for the extension gets done before ours, I only hope I'm wrong

Ger-Devils

mazza03 said:
What sickens me is the fact that although CCFC has a bew stadium I'm betting that the planning for the extension gets done before ours, I only hope I'm wrong
The new stand will go to planning permission like everything else in September.

There could be many factors surrounding why the delay.