Latest rink update

wildthing74

chillee said:
Everybody is entitled to there views, even the paranoid, who Zed is I have no idea. Maybe Wildthing has had one to many Wild nights. :lol:
I was not being literal but you probably come closest in posting some of the dumbest posts since this chap got himself banned.I will be more than happy to come back to this thread and give you kudos if you are right but until then keep digging.

Finny

KaneDevils said:
Can we stop rambling and keep on topic please? :roll:
Why don't you like people talking about ex-posters who were banned but returned with new usernames????? ;)

Anyway, pooneil's post is pretty conclusive in explaining the situation and hopefully chilee will now be content.

mazza03

Pooneil said:
Chillee

I'm forced to take back my words: you are probably not paranoid or cynical. You are, I suspect increasingly, just monumentally cretinous.

I'll try and be charitable in my response because it is likely that you have led a troubled life on the wrong side of the Mental Health Act, and as such have had little contact or interaction with society. Nonetheless, for the record:

- Greenbank (via its subsidiary company Helium Miracle 113 Ltd) has signed an Agreement with the Council to build the Sports Village, including the new Ice Arena, on the Council's land.

- There are no investors other than Greenbank, which is funding the build programme. Greenbank will operate the Ice Arena under its company Ice Arena Wales Ltd. The freehold of the site will be transferred to Greenbank from the Council

- Planning permission was granted in July 2013, from memory. Thereafter, Greenbank contracted with Kier for a detailed design and cost for the Arena. This was completed in January and a full build contract was signed for the Arena shortly after. Work commenced on site in March this year, and is ahead of schedule. It is due to open to the public in July 2015.

The signing of the Build Contract effectively means that Greenbank has guaranteed to pay Kier for the entire construction process. As such, steelwork, seating, ice pads and plant has all been pre-ordered. There is no backing out, even if Greenbank wanted to.

I hope that puts your tedious little mind at rest, although I doubt it will.
Thank you Poonel for all the inf, spot on as usual.

Chillee, in case you are wondering Poonel is in the know and keeps us informed.

I never stated a rink wasn't being built, if you bothered to take the time to read & understand my posts.

I stated it was a move of the BBT, the freed up land maybe used for residential build and the rest of the project is in doubt, if you where in the know, you'd know the various stages are subject to viability studies before go ahead, as set out in the council meetings, of which copies can be viewed only up until 2012.

You should also understand how Green Bank finance builds, they don't have a tree full of money in the office that they magically pluck money from. :roll:

Time will tell. :pickle

Have Hope#35

Pooneil said:
Chillee

I'm forced to take back my words: you are probably not paranoid or cynical. You are, I suspect increasingly, just monumentally cretinous.

I'll try and be charitable in my response because it is likely that you have led a troubled life on the wrong side of the Mental Health Act, and as such have had little contact or interaction with society. Nonetheless, for the record:

- Greenbank (via its subsidiary company Helium Miracle 113 Ltd) has signed an Agreement with the Council to build the Sports Village, including the new Ice Arena, on the Council's land.

- There are no investors other than Greenbank, which is funding the build programme. Greenbank will operate the Ice Arena under its company Ice Arena Wales Ltd. The freehold of the site will be transferred to Greenbank from the Council

- Planning permission was granted in July 2013, from memory. Thereafter, Greenbank contracted with Kier for a detailed design and cost for the Arena. This was completed in January and a full build contract was signed for the Arena shortly after. Work commenced on site in March this year, and is ahead of schedule. It is due to open to the public in July 2015.

The signing of the Build Contract effectively means that Greenbank has guaranteed to pay Kier for the entire construction process. As such, steelwork, seating, ice pads and plant has all been pre-ordered. There is no backing out, even if Greenbank wanted to.

I hope that puts your tedious little mind at rest, although I doubt it will.
Think this prevents any doubt and couldn't be any clearer... Maybe now Chillee will shut the hell up!? Perhaps he could be the weekly on site photographer, this will fill up the time he'll now have spare from being a serial pessimist on here!?

Have Hope#35 said:
Think this prevents any doubt and couldn't be any clearer... Maybe now Chillee will shut the hell up!? Perhaps he could be the weekly on site photographer, this will fill up the time he'll now have spare from being a serial pessimist on here!?
No its all repeated info.

The only penalty I'm aware of is the 999 yr free rent from the council would be chargeable to Green Bank.

Green Bank and I quote

The Company is supported by Family Trusts. This allows it to think laterally in seeking solutions to problems; to raise investment finance internally, where often no other conventional sources of finance would be available; and to take a long-term approach to development.

That basically means, councils have land nobody wants and gives certain allowances to peeps who can raise finance that conventional sources, Banks, wouldn't touch with a barge pole. :RAWK

St Davids extension had developers, investors falling of themselves, it got built in 3 yrs, to date I don't believe anybody is falling over themselves to build an Hotel that is not required and a ski slope in an area of the UK unlikely to be able to charge the prices needed to cover the costs and make it one day profitable, hence the delays in the build.

If it was such a money maker, Greenbank wouldn't be involved and it would have been built by now.

This is all starting to get a bit (ok a lot) ridiculous...it's being built, people who are in the know about it say it's being built, and all the t's are dotted and the i's are crossed and it's ahead of schedule
....so the next argument is

If it was such a money maker, Greenbank wouldn't be involved and it would have been built by now.
So because it hasn't been built yet, it's not going to be??????

Have Hope#35

chillee said:
Have Hope#35 said:
No its all repeated info.

The only penalty I'm aware of is the 999 yr free rent from the council would be chargeable to Green Bank.

Green Bank and I quote

The Company is supported by Family Trusts. This allows it to think laterally in seeking solutions to problems; to raise investment finance internally, where often no other conventional sources of finance would be available; and to take a long-term approach to development.

That basically means, councils have land nobody wants and gives certain allowances to peeps who can raise finance that conventional sources, Banks, wouldn't touch with a barge pole. :RAWK

St Davids extension had developers, investors falling of themselves, it got built in 3 yrs, to date I don't believe anybody is falling over themselves to build an Hotel that is not required and a ski slope in an area of the UK unlikely to be able to charge the prices needed to cover the costs and make it one day profitable, hence the delays in the build.

But Pooneil was discussing the Ice Arena Wales... Not the future phases! As for the later phase, which includes the Ski Slope, a Hotel and the Car Park... The Council has said that it must be completed before Shops, Restaurants and Bars can be built!

Have Hope#35

Finny said:
Call me selfish but I don't really care about the rest of the development.
I agree, it would be nice to think the later phases get done as per current 'Outline Planning' however if things change then it'll still be a much nicer area than it is now! The rink is getting built, who cares if the later phases include a Ski Slope, a Hotel, a Bull Ring :lol: or more Apartments!?

Gwynfor said:
Do we reckon that BT will throw one of those sponsorship deals to Ice Arena Wales?
IAW are indeed looking for a sponsor and I do believe BT's name has been mentioned before regarding this.
How big a sponsor will be will be affected by the whole development, people have pointed out they don't care about the other developments, but a big Ski slope (Largest tower in Wales) and the complex being advertised has a big impact on the Ice Arena, the Devils etc etc.

Simply building a rink, in my opinion won't draw a big sponsor.

If the rink is on schedule and as planned then a sponsor announcement shouldn't be too far in the future, then I can look forward to more abuse. :oops:

BT would be good. The Devils going into that development with BT Sport I believe can only happen if the Devils have a future, under Ragan the Devils may be not so bright, point yourselves in the direction of the tread Paul Sullivan is discussing.

Then start to think a bit.

Have Hope#35

chillee said:
Gwynfor said:
Do we reckon that BT will throw one of those sponsorship deals to Ice Arena Wales?
IAW are indeed looking for a sponsor and I do believe BT's name has been mentioned before regarding this.
How big a sponsor will be will be affected by the whole development, people have pointed out they don't care about the other developments, but a big Ski slope (Largest tower in Wales) and the complex being advertised has a big impact on the Ice Arena, the Devils etc etc.

Simply building a rink, in my opinion won't draw a big sponsor.

If the rink is on schedule and as planned then a sponsor announcement shouldn't be too far in the future, then I can look forward to more abuse. :oops:

BT would be good. The Devils going into that development with BT Sport I believe can only happen if the Devils have a future, under Ragan the Devils may be not so bright, point yourselves in the direction of the tread Paul Sullivan is discussing.

Then start to think a bit.
I agree that a big sponsor would be great... However it is not fundamental to the survival of the Cardiff Devils or the Ice Arena! And any money from Sponsorship of the Arena wouldn't go to the Devils in any case...

Mooney#16

I'm led to believe of all the rinks in Planet Ice's portfolio. Cardiff even with the Cardiff Devils having an agreement for free ice time slots is one of if not there most profitable rinks. Why. Because outside of the Devils is a whole world of ice sports users and demand is very high for ice time and a premium price is put on it. The viability of Ice Arena wales will have been carried out with financial analysis of that customer base and a limited percentage will involve Devils related income. With two pads able to meet demand that already exists but is not met the Arena for one will be a very profitable project for Greenbank offering a pretty decent margin of return. To me its a no brainer and I've little doubt this is an incentivised project it would be madness to not complete. I'd wager once built conventional investment and banking will as you say fall over themselves to offer Greenbank a nice mortgaging package. Take the debt of the project. Pay it off. Defer onto a structured payment plan to a bank. Your financial exposure is gone and the project becomes self sustaining. This is why I believe Greenbank have elected to operate the Arena themselves via Ice Arena Wales instead of tender out the operating contract. The margin is to high to turn down.

The ski slope. I 'm guessing but with a catchment area the size it will be for this unique recreational facility I can't see this being a dead duck. South Wales and South West England has a lot of Skiers and they would need to have some astronomical overheads for this to be financial unviable as a project also. With the success of other such facilities you have to believe there are successful business models out there. Greenbank don't strike me as a company that has a corporate ego big enough to not consult the market on best practice for such things.

I see your doubts Chillee as other projects have failed but knowing the customer base available to the facilities in this area I think these will be successful fully accomplished projects in the future. The reluctance of the project to ever be put in place before. Well pick your drama. The arguement for an arena in Cardiff has been going for over 20 years with the council more than anyone dragging its heals. Like the empire pool it's a political hot potato that involved big financial outlay. Politicians don't like approving such projects whilst other headline grabbing topics exist. Unfortunately until the land was available and the correctly structured project presented itself it hasn't been viable but time has changed and finally the council took the ISV seriously. I honestly can't see how operationally this project will not make Greenbank money. However they are financing it they are taking the same opinion but once they have the assets constructed conventional finance will I suspect want to get a piece of the pie.

Lets hope so, as a whole the development has great potential for Cardiff.

Cardiff Council & Wales have a history of being run by moronic morons with no idea on how to make Wales attractive to business or tourism.

Any news on Weston Super Mares Snow Dome, it was mean't to complete in 2013 and at £50 million boasted a 210 meter slope, I heard it got shelved due to viability issues.

The councils idea of an International Sports Village seems to be one they got stuck with a decade ago and cannot seem to either build or admit it was a huge mistake and a way of justifying the closure of facilities to make way for more lucrative options, they seem to have a history of changing their minds.

Mooney#16 said:
The ski slope. I 'm guessing but with a catchment area the size it will be for this unique recreational facility I can't see this being a dead duck. South Wales and South West England has a lot of Skiers and they would need to have some astronomical overheads for this to be financial unviable as a project also. With the success of other such facilities you have to believe there are successful business models out there. Greenbank don't strike me as a company that has a corporate ego big enough to not consult the market on best practice for such things.
Weston Super Mare Snow Dome.

http://westonsnowdome.com/index.html

http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/news-weston.html