Latest rink update

Mooney#16

Damaging the Devils brand. That's been in the toilet since the year all the fans walked out and the BBT did everything it could to keep it there in cahoots with several crap owners but they were only able to afford the club because of how tainted that brand was. The Devils went from a top of the league team to an also ran and stayed there for a decade.

I'm not sticking up for anything deficient in IAW but be under no illusion it's the best thing to happen to the Devils in nearly 15years. Without IAW TK, SK et al wouldn't be in Cardiff. Fact. They nearly weren't anyway.

You put a first time fan in the BBT v IAW and see which one was damaging the brand.

I get IAW isn't perfect right now but it's a PFI. Ice sports in Cardiff got cut adrift by the Council so we have what we have. If the council are worried about there reputation being affected by IAW they should have thought of that 10 years ago. They have zero right to an opinion to be frank.

Point out things that need corrective action constructively but some of the rhetoric being spouted. It's pure emotion talking.

The brand hasn't really been damaged, it's never really been much of a brand. Even when we visited Wembley to play our finals people outside of Hockey had no idea.

Having said that the IAW is a vast improvement and it allows for fans to be satisfied.

Is it a stepping stone for some to test the water, gauge the potential before moving on. Time will tell.

I'm told the clock was the best that could be sourced given the lack of interest, it's an improvement on that sundial so we should be grateful.

Just don't mention the alternatives that could've been supplied, if we had actually been bothered to look at.

august04

Having not been to IAW since the end of the season, have there been any improvements/corrective works to some of the issues that were evident last season or even additions such as bar furniture etc?
Any rumours on whether the benches will be extended during the off season?

Nothing has been noticeably changed, the staff still need to drill the ice after most cuts and considering they have already sold season tickets changing the benches now is already too late. Although I was on the bench over the weekend and there is a door that separates both sides so they could easily do what they had in WNIR and open up the walkway during the breaks if extended

august04

Nrm said:
Nothing has been noticeably changed, the staff still need to drill the ice after most cuts and considering they have already sold season tickets changing the benches now is already too late. Although I was on the bench over the weekend and there is a door that separates both sides so they could easily do what they had in WNIR and open up the walkway during the breaks if extended
That bench area is going to be even more cramped then next season if we go with 4 lines! It's so frustrating that having waited so long for the new arena, there doesn't appear to be the will to make the adjustments to make it the perfect venue. A real shame that the Devils couldn't have bought it.

august04 said:
Nrm said:
That bench area is going to be even more cramped then next season if we go with 4 lines! It's so frustrating that having waited so long for the new arena, there doesn't appear to be the will to make the adjustments to make it the perfect venue. A real shame that the Devils couldn't have bought it.
It makes things worse that the benches are actually bolted down so the players not at the front have to climb over the bench to get to the front when it's their shift next

voth26

Nrm said:
august04 said:
Nrm said:
It makes things worse that the benches are actually bolted down so the players not at the front have to climb over the bench to get to the front when it's their shift next
I know there has been a lot made of the issues with the benches, and as annoying as it is given it's a new rink i made a point of watching both teams ie Devils and the Giants and the players didnt seem bothered or fazed by the benches!!!

Ocko

I wouldnt expect to see many, if any changes at all. You might see the scoreboard corners filled but that will only be if they have sponsors and if anything does happen it will be as a mad rush after the friendlies.

I dont think that IAW is particularly flush with cash. To see it finished to the level it should be and the snagging issues ironed out you'll probably have to find new owners.

august04

All gone quiet, anyone seen any improvements made over the summer? I assume we'll be able to add some branding inside the arena to make I feel a bit more like home and that ice painting will be before pre-season games (no public skating restrictions as was the case with the BBT)?

Electro

Cardiff to host the Challenge Cup Final at the IAW. Surprised nobody updated that here.

Interesting choice.

The IAW l guess will guarantee a capacity crowd, giving a better atmosphere. Especially if the Devils make it. Cardiff has much to offer and the IAW needs to make a success of every event it hosts. I cannot imagine the woes it has had and is currently having have not be resolved by then.

Then again, l hadn't envisaged the issues the whole debarcle that getting a replacement rink would prove when it was first announced.

Of course the pricing has to be done right, a final between Nottingham and Sheffield could have issues attracting them to the IAW. They can be a fickle bunch, it wouldn't surprise me if they boycotted out of spite at not having it in their part of the world. I would also expect complaints that there are not enough tickets available.