Latest rink update

Tailgunner said:
For its Location 3000 is about right
unless you drive its a crap location transport link is poor

The IAW is 10 minutes walk from Cogan Railway Station. The Devils' run the 666 bus service to and from Cardiff and there are bus stops (with a bus service) just outside the arena.

What more do you want?

dave

PenarthFollower said:
Tailgunner said:
For its Location 3000 is about right
unless you drive its a crap location transport link is poor

The IAW is 10 minutes walk from Cogan Railway Station. The Devils' run the 666 bus service to and from Cardiff and there are bus stops (with a bus service) just outside the arena.

What more do you want?

a Monorail ;) A lot of folk forget about the train option. 10 min at most and a pub on route.

Devil_Abroad

In my long term dreamt up view the Devils owners will make a great success of IAW and sell the brand and sport to new audiences in and around the Cardiff area and in so doing be encouraged to invest in a new building totally owned by them with a capacity of 8,000 possibly based on the one in Kelowna. By that time the EIHL will have 12 teams, 3 conferences, and a mega TV deal. I will still be stuck 200 miles away but catching the Devils in MK on a regular basis; we can't have everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pjj365

I have been reluctant to be critical of the organisation of the off ice product at IAW but after yesterday I am wading in. Bear in mind my experience is based on a game which attracted a few hundred supporters - not a few thousand

Two things I hoped would change fairly promptly are

Smoking
Yes I am a siner but there is total lack of organisation. At the BBT the smoking area was clearly delineated so as to keep the entrance clear. We will, generally, self regulate on this front but there needs to be some input from the door staff (Absent BTW as presumably a Fire game is not considered important enough and/or spectator numbers are so low as to fall outside HASW requirements) Also this is mot the scruffy BBT and stubbing cigarettes out on the floor is no longer acceptable. There is serious lack of ash bins

Cafe
This is appalling. I assumed that in the knowledge that people were missing the start, if not the majority of a period this would be fixed but no - it is as bad with even low number at the game. I observed one lady rushing to the cafe at the end of the second period - as I came back in for the third she had only just been served. People were leaving just before the end of the period so whem she left she was stuck way back in the queue

I appreciate that it is difficult to staff the arena for unkown numbers but I would have thought that the investment of a bit of over staffing would help at this stage in the life of IAW. It is at the quiet times that reputations can be built. Were IAW even aware last night was a playoff game and thus likely to attract higher numbers than normal

At the moment I'm not sure that I have the confidence in their operational ability and they certainly show no signs of suporting and enabling Todd to deliver on his promise of delivering a better match night experience

Earnie

I attended Fire game last night and fans will be pleased to know that the central display has been reconfigured and is much more professional. I have a good photo on my iPad but have no idea how to post it on here?

Ocko

Earnie said:
I attended Fire game last night and fans will be pleased to know that the central display has been reconfigured and is much more professional. I have a good photo on my iPad but have no idea how to post it on here?
That scoreboard layout isn't the one the Devils will use. Devils have their own software which doesn't use that clock format. They have to use a different one as the standard IAW software doesn't allow for the graphics, replays and in game video.

Ocko

And I agree the queuing was ridiculous, again. I had about 10 people in front of me and waiting about 20 minutes to get served, no decent bar furniture yet either. I worry they don't have any money left in the pot...

Milky

Ocko said:
And I agree the queuing was ridiculous, again. I had about 10 people in front of me and waiting about 20 minutes to get served, no decent bar furniture yet either. I worry they don't have any money left in the pot...
My son went to get a burger in the first period break, he sat back down after eventually getting served with 3 minutes left to play of the second period.

:DWD

Catch 22, not enough foot traffic to justify decent food outlets, not enough outlets to attract foot traffic.

That's what happens with these types of venues.

They isolate and alienate themselves.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #2,091
Electro said:
Catch 22, not enough foot traffic to justify decent food outlets, not enough outlets to attract foot traffic.

That's what happens with these types of venues.

They isolate and alienate themselves.
Sounds familiar. Lol

pjj365

One other point - there is a sign on reception stating no photographs without permission from the management. I'm assuming this is for general skating

But I also assume this means IAW management and not Devils management so they will need to be ready on game nights for a queue of people - a few hundred - asking permission :D

Seriously they need to be clear. For an event it should be down to the event management and this should be made clear

They may also not be too happy having photos of issues being put on here. You can describe most situations, but pictures can be very damming indeed and it's harder to defend.

Tad-cu

Something else missing.
Despite a budget running into millions of pounds, the IAW doesn't have a clock. Yes, I know it has a fancy scoreboard, but this is switched off for most of the week. Skating lessons and junior hockey have, wait for it, a £2 supermarket clock stuck against the glass with blu-tac!!!

pjj365

Tad-cu said:
Something else missing.
Despite a budget running into millions of pounds, the IAW doesn't have a clock. Yes, I know it has a fancy scoreboard, but this is switched off for most of the week. Skating lessons and junior hockey have, wait for it, a £2 supermarket clock stuck against the glass with blu-tac!!!
This is appalling

Overall IAW is damaging the Devils brand and probably worse still the Cardiff City brand

When the season starts if nothing is fixed the damage will extend to some major cities throught the UK - our league competitors

Someone needs to get a grip but who?