Junior Club (DCF) Statement

showboat said:
Exactly , all dd mandates were paid by parents monthly for ice time , question why was it not used to pay for ice time, who was in charge of dcf !, pope ? Elson ? , shocking state of affairs ,
The new committee have inherited this shambles, additionally it would be good to understand how much the NIHL1 team contributed in being a drain on the DCF finances over the last. 3 seasons.

In respect of the failed launch of Cardiff Fire it would seem that by not communicating his intentions to the NIHL2 roster, Cudd did not have enough support for his coup to take the entire NIHL set-up away from the organisation formerly known as the DCF.

It will be tough but the new committee should be applauded for doing what is best for the junior club as a whole and not just for a select few. I believe Rob Shanahan made numerous attempts to negotiate with Cudd but was generally frustrated by a lack of response.

Some NIHL1 players may decide to move on however in the long run the club will be stronger even though their maybe a few painful results this coming season and maybe under Lyndon's direction we will see an end of certain players being allowed to play only home fixtures causing the negative comments from other NIHL 1 clubs that Cardiff were poor travellers due to the lack of numbers leaving the remaining travelling players on the receiving end of a hammering, for example last seasons results away to Invicta.

So in summary good luck to Rob, Nigel, Lyndon and the rest of the committee you have taken the right approach in the interests of the majority of current and future NIHL players.

showboat said:
Exactly , all dd mandates were paid by parents monthly for ice time , question why was it not used to pay for ice time, who was in charge of dcf !, pope ? Elson ? , shocking state of affairs ,
If only this were the case, many choose to pay cash and unfortunately debts were not chased like they should have been. As was mentioned in the first post there is £4,500 of outstanding fees owed to the club.

Cardon said:
DevilDom said:
Only one question relevant to me. Is Paul Ragan still involved in any capacity whatsoever?
Paul Ragan is still a trustee and cannot be replaced unless someone else is prepared to act as guarantor for a £5000 overdraft. Trustees have no influence over the running of the club, this is entirely down to the committee of which Paul Ragan is not a member. The measures taken by the committee should see the clubs finances in a much more healthy position in the near future, at which point new trustees could be appointed.
as far as i am aware Paul Ragan is now manager for the Under 10's which I believe gives him a place on committee, his PA is secretary when Cudds was voted in (why)? Also it would be interesting to know who formulated that statement from the Committee.

Ocko

Paul Ragan under 10s manager...

Influx of cheap European 9 year olds?

Are the U10s 'moving forward'?

Have they appointed a 'Head of Player Development' yet? No club can run without one of those!

They must be in their 'best ever position' by now, I mean the secret millionaire has been in position a week or so now?

Paul Ragan manage a hockey team, whatever next (other than a 3 year plan)?! :DWD :lol:

Ocko said:
Paul Ragan under 10s manager...

Influx of cheap European 9 year olds?

Are the U10s 'moving forward'?

Have they appointed a 'Head of Player Development' yet? No club can run without one of those!

They must be in their 'best ever position' by now, I mean the secret millionaire has been in position a week or so now?

Paul Ragan manage a hockey team, whatever next (other than a 3 year plan)?! :DWD :lol:
That gets my vote for 'Post of the Year'

To be fair, whoever runs the NIHL1 team will always have issues with travel, a lot of the guys do have jobs Mon to Fri 9-5 so getting home from IOW or Invicta at 2 or 3 am on Monday morning isn't helpful when you are the bread winner, this isn't a criticism only a reality

Skate_It_Off!!! said:
Some NIHL1 players may decide to move on however in the long run the club will be stronger even though their maybe a few painful results this coming season and maybe under Lyndon's direction we will see an end of certain players being allowed to play only home fixtures causing the negative comments from other NIHL 1 clubs that Cardiff were poor travellers due to the lack of numbers leaving the remaining travelling players on the receiving end of a hammering, for example last seasons results away to Invicta.
There has only ever been 1 player with a home games only contract and that is Jason Stone. He has young children and no longer makes any money from the sport, given that he spent his whole family life having to travel weekends on the road to make a living, that's a tougher ask of your family when you're no longer obliged to. Given his status at the club & years of top level experience, would you pass on the opportunity to sign him if it meant only on a 50% basis? Add to this the mentoring that he provides the up and coming younger players at training and home games, you'd be a fool not to.

Cudd has done an extremely impressive job in putting together a competitive team at NIHL1 level over the years, despite so many challenges in doing so. It's a very delicate balance to get right, bringing through youngsters from the juniors and assisting there development alongside experienced established players, or protecting them with stronger, physical players. It will not work as just a straight conveyor belt from U18s, the team will get hammered, demoralise players and inhibit their development. I don't think anyone can deny that Cudd has gotten this balance right, simply look at the players coming through/ have come through. Can't think of a single one that was not given a chance and moved on elsewhere to become a success. The only home grown talent to have been pushed out the door has been from Elite level. Let's hope those days are behind us with the new ownership.

From what I can see the Cardiff Fire thing was meant to make the NIHL completely self sufficient. Therefore no opportunities for it to be a drain on the junior club. Now that's gone there is the responsibility of the Junior club to fund it one way or another. A few seasons back NIHL1 cut costs by moving to 1 training a week, they pay their own travel by players, and have their own sponsors. How much/ if any was the running being propped up by the juniors? If it was NIHL2 propping it up, presumably they'll still be paying the same this year (so their no better off) and may lose the opportunity of getting sub - free contract by getting promoted to NIHL1 ( which will be most players first ambition/next step). Soooo, who is better off?

Last year alone nihl1 cost the junior club £6000 ...... The Juniors wanted to keep nihl2 for development of the kids breaking into senior hockey and let Cudds breakaway with just nihl1.
Cudds then chose, with no communication or meetings with The Junior Club to make the public announcement that he was breaking away with the two teams.
The juniors were then put in a position where they could either put in a proposal for both teams or lose both as no middle ground could be reached over splitting the teams and The EIHA stated a preference that the two teams stay with one setup.
The proposal was put forward and The EIHA made the decision.

The New Committee are people with everyday jobs, with kids playing in the junior set up trying to sort out the mess they have inherited and should not be judged so harshly when people dont even know them. They at least deserve a chance.

Kipper

They need to get rid of the toxic shadow of Ragan over the Juniors/ DCF pretty damn quick. Why is no one on the committee demanding answers from him about where all the money has gone and his responsibility for large DCF debts to Planet Ice. Large amounts of cash were collected from Learn to Play sessions. Kids fees were £55 a month.More than enough to pay all ice rental costs. Where did the money go? Why are parents not demanding answers? Have the Committee held him accountable? If not, why not?

Kipper said:
They need to get rid of the toxic shadow of Ragan over the Juniors/ DCF pretty damn quick. Why is no one on the committee demanding answers from him about where all the money has gone and his responsibility for large DCF debts to Planet Ice. Large amounts of cash were collected from Learn to Play sessions. Kids fees were £55 a month.More than enough to pay all ice rental costs. Where did the money go? Why are parents not demanding answers? Have the Committee held him accountable? If not, why not?
probably because there are still too many "yes men/women" hanging onto shirt tails

Kipper said:
Kip, you are forgetting the cut of the 50/50 plus the fact that all players/players parents contribute match fees and away travel fees. I am sure the £30,000 paper clips and Pencils bill didn't help though

Kipper said:

Absolutely, an EGM would be useful to bring the majority up to date and a chance to remove Ragan as a trustee as soon as possible.

Now that the organisation formerly known as the DCF has control over the NIHL set up would it be possible for the committee to issue a statement as soon as possible to clarify if two teams are going to be entered into both NIHL 1 & 2, their coaches, training times and other necessary information.

Mooney#16

Not in the loop at all on this and to be honest its to emotive for my opinion but just an observation. Has EIHA given a guarantee that NIHL1 will not be relegated under any circumstances as with them requiring both teams stay under the same umbrella what would be the actions if both NIHL teams end up in the same league. Before there was realistically little chance of this happening with the squad assembled and the promoted team from NIHL 2 rosters but with the political wranglings at present if players from 1 hang them up or jump ship it does become a possibility. How on earth would you them administer two teams in the same league. It would be like some bizarre formula 1 team orders scenario. I feel sorry for the players and only the players really. They are being pulled in different directions from both sides seemingly with little consultation, consideration and compassion.

With the new ownership appearing to be totally proactive and eager to impress, surely there could be some conversations around the table with Todd and the 'artist formerly known as DCF' along with ENL1/2 represenatives to find an amicable solution?

Surely Devils will want some junior relationships in both BBT and new arena? Period break 'entertainment'? Community stuff? Public relations? Future players? Waterboys?

Whether that requires PR being booted off the board of trustees and stopped from being a manager then so be it, but if it does not require that then just find a solution. Most (not all) seem to have the same objective - hockey for the masses!

Ocko

I'm not too sure either would want too many links initially. The whole system is a bit of a mess at the moment, and for what the Devils would need to put in, they wouldnt get as much out. I know the argument stands about the players produced, but those players would still come and play for the club regardless, if the Devils had no links to the NIHL side I'm sure the players would still jump at the chance of an opportunity with the EIHL team.

I dont see much need for the current ownership to want to have any involvement at this time. If they are serious about contending they will be looking for two way deals with EPL clubs. The gap between the NIHL and the EIHL is far too big IMO. Youngsters would get a better chance by spending a year or so at EPL level and getting picked from there, unless they really are exceptional talents and are ready for EIHL hockey straight away - which is very, very rare. The club would also be better spent calling on EPL players rather than NIHL too as the standard increases considerably at that level. With Swindon fairly near I'd hope we are looking at them.

It might sound a bit cold and heartless towards the juniors/NIHL but IMO it would be best for them for the time being also. There is no doubt in my mind that the DCF was used as a cash cow to fund the EIHL side and that shouldnt happen; be it through council grants, parents fees, charidee car park. The DCF should never have been in debt; the ice time is no more expensive than anywhere else, the monthly fees roughly the same price as every other club, plus the council grants, car park etc - it makes no sense as no other junior team were in these problems, the Cardiff juniors certainly didnt do or get anything out of the ordinary that other teams didnt have.

IMO a clean break for both is best until both are settled and on their feet and then see where we are in a year or two down the road. Neither the Devils or the juniors need each other to exist IMO.

A sensible and valid point...can't disagree with sense and fact!

Pity in some ways but I guess priorities differ and at the moment TK wants to get up to speed!

Ocko said:
I'm not too sure either would want too many links initially. The whole system is a bit of a mess at the moment, and for what the Devils would need to put in, they wouldnt get as much out. I know the argument stands about the players produced, but those players would still come and play for the club regardless, if the Devils had no links to the NIHL side I'm sure the players would still jump at the chance of an opportunity with the EIHL team.

I dont see much need for the current ownership to want to have any involvement at this time. If they are serious about contending they will be looking for two way deals with EPL clubs. The gap between the NIHL and the EIHL is far too big IMO. Youngsters would get a better chance by spending a year or so at EPL level and getting picked from there, unless they really are exceptional talents and are ready for EIHL hockey straight away - which is very, very rare. The club would also be better spent calling on EPL players rather than NIHL too as the standard increases considerably at that level. With Swindon fairly near I'd hope we are looking at them.

It might sound a bit cold and heartless towards the juniors/NIHL but IMO it would be best for them for the time being also. There is no doubt in my mind that the DCF was used as a cash cow to fund the EIHL side and that shouldnt happen; be it through council grants, parents fees, charidee car park. The DCF should never have been in debt; the ice time is no more expensive than anywhere else, the monthly fees roughly the same price as every other club, plus the council grants, car park etc - it makes no sense as no other junior team were in these problems, the Cardiff juniors certainly didnt do or get anything out of the ordinary that other teams didnt have.

IMO a clean break for both is best until both are settled and on their feet and then see where we are in a year or two down the road. Neither the Devils or the juniors need each other to exist IMO.
Don't lose sight that that the money/funds siphoned/redirected from the DCF kept the club alive over the past couple of years, without the players subs (mostly paid for by parents), grant money, car park fees etc.

So please remember this as TK's Devils build over the next few years and very likely win trophies etc. - without the 'Junior Hockey Club' we may not still have a club to support.

It shouldn't have happened particularly in light of the DCF's charity status however it did - but please don't forget where the money came from before you and others jettison the kids.