Junior Club (DCF) Statement

Thread starter #1
STATEMENT BY DEVILS COMMUNITY FOUNDATION (DCF)

The New Junior Club (formally DCF) Committee would like to announce that after speaking to a number of sources, including current Devils General Manager, Todd Kelman, that we will be moving away from the DCF name. This will enable complete detachment from the DCF. The reason that this is being strived for, is to allow the Committee to make a fresh start. Total transparency to our Members and our Supporters is paramount. The Junior Club Committee are extremely aware that we are, and will be, judged on what we do for the Club moving forward.

The Committee can confirm that we have also been provided a summary of the finances by Nigel Davies (Treasurer), and would like to report that the debt outstanding is circa £5000 but this is made up mostly of unpaid training fees (circa £4,500). Though it is far from ideal that any fees should be outstanding, the Committee is now in the process of trying to collect these and reduce the debt as quickly as possible. Though this may be difficult in some instances it is definitely a brighter picture than many have been led to believe, and is something that will be scrutinized heavily to ensure this level of debt isn’t amassed again.

We have also recently taken part in our first charity Family Fun Day in support of Bobath. The Junior Club (DCF) was represented by members of our Junior Organisation: James and Jack Whiting, Jack Randall and Callum Buglass, whilst being over seen by Andrew Whiting. The initial feedback has been excellent with regards the fun and interactive experience that they provided and also the money that has been raised. Hopefully we will continue to be able to support events like this in the future.

As many of you will also be aware, there has been an ongoing discussion between Mark Cuddihy (representing Cardiff Fire) and the Committee of the Junior Club regarding the ownership of both NIHL1 and NIHL2 teams, and in particular which party possessed the right to enter those teams into the leagues for the forthcoming season.

With neither side able to negotiate a mutually acceptable solution as to the way forwards, this situation required a mediation process involving the English Ice Hockey Association (EIHA). The EIHA imposed a deadline of the 25th of July for both sides to put forward a meaningful proposal - providing evidence of ownership/mandate of both teams, together with evidence of an ice time agreement that would ensure fixtures could be fulfilled within both leagues, as well as providing sufficient ice time for training to fulfil the clubs mandate for developing players.

The Committee of the Junior Club (DCF), would like to make it clear that as well as being determined the rightful owners of both teams, it was the only party able to provide evidence of an Ice Time Agreement (in line with its ongoing agreement with Planet Ice for the entire Junior Club) – a key determining factor in the EIHA decision.

The Junior Club (DCF) strongly believes that retaining both teams is critical to the overall success for junior development within the club, as it will provide a platform for player development from the youngest age groups through to adult and, hopefully, on to professional ice hockey.

It is readily accepted that this decision by EIHA is not the desired outcome that Cardiff Fire and Mark Cuddihy were looking for. The Junior Club (DCF) Committee would to state that the outcome is not considered to be a case of one side winning and the other side losing - this has been an instance where a different proposal has been put forward for consideration (to see if the existing set up could be improved upon), with the evidence presented reviewed by the EIHA. Based on the evidence provided to the EIHA prior to the deadline, the EIHA determined that the existing set up, under the DCF, would be the best way forward.

Whilst this resolution is presumed not to be what Cardiff Fire and Mark Cuddihy would have wished for, the Junior Club (DCF) would not choose to lose Mark’s dedication and commitment of the last 10 years, in a variety of roles, from the successful coaching programme he has played a part of.  The Junior Club (DCF) has already been in contact with Mark to offer him a coaching role within the new set up, to allow us to utilise his experiences and continue to work towards a brighter future for the players, coaches and supporters of junior hockey in Cardiff.

The Junior Club (DCF) Committee is also extremely pleased to announce that Lyndon Pezzack has agreed to take on the role of Head Coach of NIHL. We are confident that, given Lyndon’s track record of coaching, and experience of playing Ice Hockey at the highest level, that he will be bringing a structured and professional environment and continue to build on the emphasis of player development.  Lyndon has coached at both NIHL1 and 2 levels having just coached NIHL2 to their highest league position since its inception.

The Junior Club Chairman Rob Shanahan said that ‘I have worked with Lyndon for a number of seasons now, and know how dedicated he is to developing players not just on the ice but off the ice as well.  He provides a professional environment for the players and is a great role model having played at the highest level himself.  I know that a lot of players throughout NIHL1 and NIHL2 look up to, and respect Lyndon. I have no doubt he is the right man for the job.’

Lyndon Pezzack said ‘I am thrilled and humbled to have been asked to take on the role.  Although there is a lot of work to be done, especially given we now only have a month to prepare for the coming season, I am hoping that the coaching team we have put in place for NIHL will support it for the coming season.  There will be a slight change of emphasis this year as we focus on developing younger players who have come through the junior club on and off the ice.  That said it’s not lost on me that both NIHL leagues are getting stronger every year so we have a very big job in front of us.  However, the most important thing is that the teams are sustainable and don’t depend on funding from the junior club.  Though we don’t envisage any changes for NIHL 2, there will need to be a review of NIHL 1 to ensure that it remains financially viable and I’m lucky that I have some good partnerships within the South Wales business community who have offered to help and support us for the forthcoming season’.

Gazza272

Just a quick point after reading that.

You say you are going to move away from the DCF name but then use the DCF name to identify yourself several times in the press release. It got very confusing as I was reading it. Just an observation :)

So you don't consider it one side winning? Like it or not it is and I for one think that it smacks of the previous owners way of doing things. Cudds is a good man and to strip him of his head coaching role must have been a right kick in the family jewels for him. Lyndon did a fine job last year but we will see if he can bring in enough talent to keep the senior teams competitive. What a mess.Thanks for all the effort Cudds you have provided great entertainment over the years.I honestly don't think this is in the best interests of the Juniors.

Sounds like Cudds was out of order trying to run away with the NIHL teams without considering the players, other officials and ice time

Budgie said:
Sounds like Cudds was out of order trying to run away with the NIHL teams without considering the players, other officials and ice time
Budgie I'm sure you will know a lot more than me about all this. Did the players object to breaking away from the Juniors and what will the sides be called this year? Are they still connected to the Devils officially?

Finny

Budgie said:
Out of order?
Doesn't Cudds and Cardiff Fire have the ice time agreement for the new arena though? So in a years time it will all change again.

How much a month are junior fees for that to be the reason they are £5000 in debt?

Nrm

Finny said:
Budgie said:
Out of order?
Doesn't Cudds and Cardiff Fire have the ice time agreement for the new arena though? So in a years time it will all change again.

How much a month are junior fees for that to be the reason they are £5000 in debt?
When I played for juniors a few years back it was in the region of £50 a month per player plus extra for games. What doesn't help this debt is where will the money come from for the new jerseys/track suits as they hold the DCF logo?

wildthing74

No links to DCF and especially our former owner is perfect for our juniors to get a fresh start but I'm confused by the constant reference to DCF too.

CJIHC said:
STATEMENT BY DEVILS COMMUNITY FOUNDATION (DCF)

The New Junior Club (formally DCF) Committee would like to announce that after speaking to a number of sources, including current Devils General Manager, Todd Kelman, that we will be moving away from the DCF name. This will enable complete detachment from the DCF. The reason that this is being strived for, is to allow the Committee to make a fresh start. Total transparency to our Members and our Supporters is paramount. The Junior Club Committee are extremely aware that we are, and will be, judged on what we do for the Club moving forward.
So, just to clarify, the New Junior Club (Formerly DCF) is dropping the DCF name or completely separating from the DCF?
If it's a separation, then what role does the DCF now have?

As usual, more than meets the eye I think with this ;:|

You can't just change the name of a club immediately it has to be done through official channels, so I take it to mean DCF in brackets is (the old name) until the new name is official and can be used.

fried egg said:
So you don't consider it one side winning? Like it or not it is and I for one think that it smacks of the previous owners way of doing things. Cudds is a good man and to strip him of his head coaching role must have been a right kick in the family jewels for him. Lyndon did a fine job last year but we will see if he can bring in enough talent to keep the senior teams competitive. What a mess.Thanks for all the effort Cudds you have provided great entertainment over the years.I honestly don't think this is in the best interests of the Juniors.
What is not in the best interest of the juniors is funding a senior team. This is one of the major reasons that the junior system is in the red and could simply not continue.

Cardon said:
fried egg said:
What is not in the best interest of the juniors is funding a senior team. This is one of the major reasons that the junior system is in the red and could simply not continue.
Why hold onto them then? As far as I can see they wanted to break away,they still would have been there for the better juniors to go on and develop their games.

DevilDom said:
Only one question relevant to me. Is Paul Ragan still involved in any capacity whatsoever?
Paul Ragan is still a trustee and cannot be replaced unless someone else is prepared to act as guarantor for a £5000 overdraft. Trustees have no influence over the running of the club, this is entirely down to the committee of which Paul Ragan is not a member. The measures taken by the committee should see the clubs finances in a much more healthy position in the near future, at which point new trustees could be appointed.

fried egg said:
Cardon said:
fried egg said:
Why hold onto them then? As far as I can see they wanted to break away,they still would have been there for the better juniors to go on and develop their games.
NIHL1 were given the opportunity to break away on their own. However, they wanted to take "fee paying" NIHL2 also, none of whom as far as I am aware were consulted.

Yoda said:
You can't just change the name of a club immediately it has to be done through official channels, so I take it to mean DCF in brackets is (the old name) until the new name is official and can be used.

That would be my take on the statement - The Club will be moving away from the DCF name.

Knowing most of the new Committee, I am confident they will be aware that there are other parties they need to consult, and where necessary get permission to go ahead from, before making any changes of this magnitude.

Not least of which I should imagine would be John Neville (MD Planet Ice) to make sure that the Ice Time Agreement that exists between the DCF and Planet Ice is not adversely impacted by any proposed change in entity name and/or legal status.

Unless I am mistaken, the DCF are a registered Charity? In which case the Committee would also need to consult the Charities Commission also for any changes to take place.

Surely the D.C.F. is now redundant? As they are not tied to the club by virtue of not having any teams "under their wing" they should be crumpled up into a ball and booted into the bin. Good riddance.

Cardon said:
Or funding the income of chairman and and owner of the senior team, any admin/office fees of the senior team. The senior team is surely capable of funding itself IF managed properly.

Cardon said:
DevilDom said:
Only one question relevant to me. Is Paul Ragan still involved in any capacity whatsoever?
Paul Ragan is still a trustee and cannot be replaced unless someone else is prepared to act as guarantor for a £5000 overdraft. Trustees have no influence over the running of the club, this is entirely down to the committee of which Paul Ragan is not a member. The measures taken by the committee should see the clubs finances in a much more healthy position in the near future, at which point new trustees could be appointed.
The name of the Trustee is surely more of an issue than the name of the Organisation eg if the Trustee was changed maybe you could save the name of DCF, same old.

Is his PA still a committee member?

Posts merged.

Exactly , all dd mandates were paid by parents monthly for ice time , question why was it not used to pay for ice time, who was in charge of dcf !, pope ? Elson ? , shocking state of affairs ,