Isnt it about time we retired Stoneys shirt

Finny said:
Of course not, but you have to also appreciate that if you saw a player towards the end of his career you wouldn't be seeing the best of him.
I know, and I do appreciate that. If you re-read my original post, I wasnt saying outrightly that he doesnt deserve it. I said that in my opinion, from what I've seen of him, I dont believe he's "up there" with the others.

Finny said:
Shirt retirement shouldn't be about how good a player was else we would be retiring Weller's shirt. It's about what they put into the club.
Exactly. Which is why I would also disagree with retiring Wellers shirt.

Finny said:
Stoney put over two decades into the club an won somewhere near 30 trophies. I'd like to see an argument for someone who put more into the club.
Well, you have me on that one. No can do I'm afraid.

How long as Poper been involved with the Devils??

Fubar

justa question but why did we retire the shirts of any of the players? some played a load less than Stoney did! I can sort of agree on Lawless's shirt...but the rest? :roll:

i would like to see Stoneman's shirt retired..but only after he quits for good and we can have a ceremonial hanging...just like in the good ole days!

Finny

Brian Dickson's was as a mark of respect due to him dying at such a young age.

Moria, Hope and McEwen were the backbone of the team during our golden era when we dominated the sport.

And as you say, Lawless is a bit of a no-brainer as he setup the club and took us from nothing to the very best.

Sliput

Finny said:
Moria, Hope and McEwen were the backbone of the team during our golden era when we dominated the sport.

And as you say, Lawless is a bit of a no-brainer as he setup the club and took us from nothing to the very best.
But if a newbie comes in to the Devils , they wont give a monkeys who those above players were or what they did for the club.

Whereas as you say with Brian, it is a mark of respect.

This is gonna upset some people but i'm gonna say it anyway!
With the exception of lawless(who is there for obvious reasons) and maybe shannon hope (still going strong for the club), jason stone has won more,played more games, gave more service and put more into the cardiff devils than every other person whos shirt has been retired by the devils.

Can anyone please justify as to why they are more deserving that stoney? Thats a serious question.

Clare said:
Doesnt matter how many seasons I've missed of a player really does it? He should be as stand out in his last season as he has been in every other.

In the case of a player who plays maybe 2/3 seasons for us - yes. Do you think you would be as stand out 22 years later?! (Maybe only Ryan Giggs)

There isn't anybody more deserving of this accolade than Stoney.

Fubar

mp43 said:
This is gonna upset some people but i'm gonna say it anyway!
With the exception of lawless(who is there for obvious reasons) and maybe shannon hope (still going strong for the club), jason stone has won more,played more games, gave more service and put more into the cardiff devils than every other person whos shirt has been retired by the devils.

Can anyone please justify as to why they are more deserving that stoney? Thats a serious question.

glad someone else said it...i tried to get Finny to spit it out in a roundabout kinda way :lol:

I've gotta be honest, I can see it from both sides but I think that there is more of a case for him having his shirt retired than there is against it. I only saw him for the last 5 years of his career and in my opinion although he wasnt always someone that you would notice on the ice, he was solid, he knew what he was doing, he very rarely got a silly penalty and he did his job well.

I say retire his shirt! :)

I'm actually surprised opinion is so divided. I think Stoney's jersey should definitely be retired. It's extremely rare in professional sports for a player to give pretty much their entire playing career to a single team.