Isnt it about time we retired Stoneys shirt

Wannabe2

Thread starter #1
Think the time is right for this to happen.
Jason played twice as many seasons as any player that has justifyingly had there shirts retired.
The list goes like this.
Stoney= 22 seasons.
Hope = 11 seasons.
Mcewen = 10 seasons
Moria = 10 seasons.
Lawless = 8 seasons.
Jason as we all know is a local lad, the amount of seasons, and the total games played for the Devils will never again be repeated. If we dont retire his shirt, then we probably will never retire a shirt again, what do you guys think.

The question is, does Stoney's "presence" on the ice, his hockey sense and ability match up to the names you've mentioned there? Has he made the "impact" on the club, team and fans like aforementioned have?

Personally, I dont believe so from what I've seen of him for the past 5 years.

But thats just me.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #3
If we retired shirts purely on there presence on the ice then, Brebant, Ruggles, both S Cooper and I Copper, Cullen, McWilliam etc would already be up there. We are talking about a local lad and 22 seasons. :roll:

Wannabe2

Thread starter #4
Clare said:
The question is, does Stoney's "presence" on the ice, his hockey sense and ability match up to the names you've mentioned there? Has he made the "impact" on the club, team and fans like aforementioned have?

Personally, I dont believe so from what I've seen of him for the past 5 years.

But thats just me.
Clare you also missed 17 of Stoneys seasons.

Ger-Devils

I agree it should be retired. Not many players can show their CV and the amount of time at 1 club. He's been a top guy through the year, won lots of different trophies with many of those above names mentioned.

He may not have been the "highlight" like some but he deserves the ovation.

TheStub

What does it take to retire a shirt? I'm not convinced that length of service is enough of a justification.

We need a hall of fame at the new rink. He certainly belongs in there, but lifting a shirt to the rafters should be more select than sainthood. Give it a few more seasons, and see how people feel then.

TheStub said:
What does it take to retire a shirt? I'm not convinced that length of service is enough of a justification.
I agree, I don't think just it should be retired just because he's played for a longtime.

Afraid it's a No from me.

I agree that stoney's shirt should be retired. We're not just talking "a local lad who played 22 seasons", we're talking a good player who was brought back year after year rather than bring in another brit/import in his place. He won everything there was to win, and has won more trophies with the club than any of the other players that have already had their shirts retired. You don't get a resume like this by not being good enough, you keep your place by constantly playing well.

I admit that stoney rarely stood out as the best player on the ice, but he rarely stood out full stop!!! Thats the thing about this, he was dependable enough to not be recogised as someone who made mistakes or couldn't do their job. You'll struggle to find anyone that can blame stoney for anything other than being consistent.

Maybe the last 4 or 5 years he started to slow down a bit, but that happens to everyone after 22 seasons of professional hockey.

I think his contribution to our trophy cabinet alone is enough to give him serious consideration, in any other sport he would achieve All star/legendary status, certainly before most of the other names.

Rempel16

Most appearances for the Devils ever. A record that is unlikely to be broken. Hell yes his jersey should be retired!

Normally service to a club wouldn't be so recognised, but this feat is very unusual in British ice hockey.

Rempel16

Could well be James, I haven't looked into it though.

I think that Stoney's reputation was diminished somewhat through the Elite League era as the legs started to slow down (not that they were fast in the first place), but throughout the Superleague era (2000-01 season apart), Stone was solid enough to hold down a regular spot in a league dominated by North Americans. For that reason I believe he is underrated by some that have seen only the recent seasons. He was a big part nigh-on every single trophy we have won and his service cannot be overlooked imo.

Wondering if the club has already considered that his jersey will be retired eventually, as surely Stuuuuuu would have worn #10 this season?

I thought the sign of a good Dman was that he went unnoticed. :?:
The logic being, i suppose, the most memorable thing a D can do is fail...

I've only been around three seasons now so i couldn't really comment but his numbers make me think a shirt retirement could be in order. I'd like to think its been/being given some thought.

ASHIPP

Rempel16 said:
Could well be James, I haven't looked into it though.

I think that Stoney's reputation was diminished somewhat through the Elite League era as the legs started to slow down (not that they were fast in the first place), but throughout the Superleague era (2000-01 season apart), Stone was solid enough to hold down a regular spot in a league dominated by North Americans. For that reason I believe he is underrated by some that have seen only the recent seasons. He was a big part nigh-on every single trophy we have won and his service cannot be overlooked imo.

Wondering if the club has already considered that his jersey will be retired eventually, as surely Stuuuuuu would have worn #10 this season?
Spot on. :cool: :D And the fact that folks acknowledge that Jason went unnoticed is exactly the sign of a solid, dependable, quality blue-liner. To still be playing after 22 seasons is an incredible feat for any player, let alone one who has won just about everything.
Retire his shirt and hang it with the rest.
After that, Franny should also get the recognition he deserves. :cool: And it's Stevie's testimonial next year too.

Gaz G

I'm in agreement 100% that his shirt should be retired. He played hard every game for 22 years, won everything there was to win (apart from the EIHL). I would also bet that he was on a much smaller wage than most throughout his entire career with us. He loves this club and everything that he has done for us certainly desrves this honour in my opinion.

If he was icing as a spare D-man or 10th forward for most of his career I'd say no...but Stoney held down a regular shift even in the ISL non-import days.

I have only seen him play since the EIHL began, but to ice a regular shift for the same team for over 20 years has to warrant a retirement imo.

At the risk of derailling the thread I disagree with Francis as he was only signed as a 10th forward for a few years. I've only seen Lyle in a Devils shirt the last two years, but my opinion is he spent too long away to be considered for shirt retirement.

Chris

Administrator
Best don the flameproof suit for this once again...

But i'm not convinced, yes he played a lot of seasons with us, but I can never remember him being a standout player, i'll see if I can find the thread where it was mentioned about his shirt being retired previously, there were some valid view points put across by both sides I seem to recall.

Chris.

Kipper

Without doubt Stoney deserves to have his shirt retired. His service to the Club,professionalism and reliability over such an extended period fully merit such an honour.

If a netminder as good and experienced as Peter Aubry rates Stoney as one of the very best defencemen he has ever played with then that is good enough testament to his ability for me."A goalie's best friend" is the phrase Peter used to describe Stoney.

Chris said:

But i'm not convinced, yes he played a lot of seasons with us, but I can never remember him being a standout player, i'll see if I can find the thread where it was mentioned about his shirt being retired previously, there were some valid view points put across by both sides I seem to recall.

Chris.
Why would he be a stand out player Chris? He was a stay at hom D-man whose job was to snuff out the opposition.

Standout players are almost always offensively minded (or fighters), Stone had a role and nearly always fulfilled it. To me that is being a standout player, just not in a way noticeable to fans.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #19
Chris said:

Chris.
So do you have a standout player that you would retire there shirt Chris.

Im 100% behind this get his number up there with the rest as it should be 22 yrs at any one player is enough the amount of imports or brits he has kept out of the team over the yrs means he was good enough plus worked under a good few coaches all of them seeing something in him to keep him there even if you went down the road of pay with him may be not on the highest wages it helped bring a bigger name forward in so i say yes get his number up there and make him a proud man for yrs to come and in our 25th year which he been through most of it with us