is there anything the devils can do about the refs?

TheStub

But, moving the conversation on - that would lend itself to professional British refs.

We are not looking at a silver bullet here, but a change and a statement of what is required. Start paying the refs, and bring in overseas refs to help improve the quality - but on sabbatical/short term basis.

Does the IIHF not have a program to improve the standard? An exchange program?

Also - why does the Elite League have no sponsor? Or any obvious revenue streams? Perhaps they need to learn to market themselves a bit, and get a bit of cash from other sources.

Finally, to bring in the Hicks as a lino point. If the situation had occurred as Saturday, I firmly believe that a better ref would not have allowed the situation to deteriorate. I have no major problem with the call on Finnerty, the lino called it, Hicks supported it and off we go. The problem was the ref lost control of himself at that point seemingly. It was a giant "giggle loop" - the crowd feeding Hicks, and the players, and the that feeding back into the crowd. So, Hicks the lino would have had 2 minutes in the sportlight, and the moment would have past as a decenet ref restores order on the game.

25p a ticket sounds like a small price to pay - and if the league could get some decent commercial sponsors to start off the initiative, then it is a real goer.

DTC

There is just not enough money in the sport to employ full time officials. The Elite League is already split into 2 leagues-- those who can afford to run a team and those who cannot. Such a shame as Cardiff are in the bottom half of the league- which is the REAL issue-- not the officials. The sooner the bench coaches stop throwing their toys out of the pram and "be professional and rise above" the situation--they won't get kicked out of the game--and can do the job that they are paid to do. Do you have to have a coaching certificate to coach in the Elite league?

Russky

Please forgive me for being a little off topic but I have just noticed that Tom Darnell is due to ref our game on sunday with Sam Motton Being one of the Linos! The Latter should get an interesting reception where as Darnell has/had a family link to the Steelers! Is Dean Smith injured at the moment as I didnt see him down as officiating this weekend! Hicksy only has 1 game at the Hull V Newcastle game! so far away enough to have no bearing on our game!

DTC

Are there copies of the rule book available to the fans/players ? I'm at a disadvantage to a lot of fans in that I don't know all of the rules- are they sold at the start of the season? maybe an outline of them could be given free with our season tickets so that there are no mis-understandings.?

Good link, thanks. Interesting read. This is my favorite line:

"The discretion provided should be exercised realistically".

:shock:

DTC

Thanx for the link. Can I ask if there has been a time when no officials have turned up ?? What would happen theoretically if this happened ? would 2000 spectators fight over the job or would the match have to be abandoned ?.

I've seen games run by just 2 guys rather than the usual 3 but its not ideal (and might only have been at ENL level rather then Elite, i cant remember) . Someone is welcome to correct me but i think any fewer and the game would have to get called off.

Finny said:
Why can't you shoot women?

Are you sure you're not confusing women with Rhinos - who are very difficult to shoot?
I think you'll find that the reason why Rhinos are very difficult to shoot is because they are mostly in Africa which is a very very long way away.

I should imagine that anyone seated in the tent with a clear line of sight would have no difficulty in shooting any ref on our Ice Pad - with more than a fair chance of hitting the short-sighted, potty mouthed, thick skinned jerk of a Cyclops that donned a referee's shirt in Cardiff last weekend.

drainage

Block 2 Noise Boys said:
Finny said:
Why can't you shoot women?

Are you sure you're not confusing women with Rhinos - who are very difficult to shoot?
I think you'll find that the reason why Rhinos are very difficult to shoot is because they are mostly in Africa which is a very very long way away.

I should imagine that anyone seated in the tent with a clear line of sight would have no difficulty in shooting any ref on our Ice Pad - with more than a fair chance of hitting the short-sighted, potty mouthed, thick skinned jerk of a Cyclops that donned a referee's shirt in Cardiff last weekend.
Talking about potty mouthed stripeys ..... did anything come of the twits behaviour ? andy French was supposed to be reviewing - or is the fact he is up north this weekend all we need to know ??

Kipper

Nice new shirts the stripeys were wearing last night and sponsored by Planet Ice!

It was a good game without the malign influence of public enemy number one.

I think the reffing has been a lot better since THAT match. I thought the Pelle / Michel incident was very fairly handled.