Ice hockey referee hit by fan during match

Gaz G

What would of happened if Hicksy had just turned round and given this bloke a slapping? I bet the bloke would of been seeking police help and demanding hicksy be banished to mongolia.

jimmy snels

well corrected, the spelling police from the inferno were going to rip you appart! iv had tellings off for less :lol:

as for mongolia, maybe we could send him to canada to do some kids games to get the basics right!! seriously tho, i hope we never have a single one of these problems, its refreshing to walk around an away rink without the threat of getting stabbed or something, like at other sporting events

jimmy snels said:
well corrected, the spelling police from the inferno were going to rip you appart! iv had tellings off for less :lol:

as for mongolia, maybe we could send him to canada to do some kids games to get the basics right!! seriously tho, i hope we never have a single one of these problems, its refreshing to walk around an away rink without the threat of getting stabbed or something, like at other sporting events
Which sporting events have you been to where you risk getting stabbed?

Never mind the spelling police...the excageration (sp) ones will be after you

jimmy snels

some people love internet confrontation dont they :ugeek: ..... ok, here go....

*quote from BBC* In the build up to, and during, the West Ham/Millwall match violence took hold in and around Upton Park.

One man was stabbed in the chest, and a BBC reporter has heard that a second stabbing has occured. Another fan said that his father had to receive medical attention after having a dart thrown at his head. There have been five confirmed arrests so far.

crowd fighting at ufc 91,australian open tennis 2 of last 3 years has had running battles in the crowd, only last week millwall have threatened to ban a fan who was seen at a match against leeds wearing a galatasary shirt and making stabbing motions at them.

so yer i enjoy feeling safe at ice hockey the same as you feel safe to make sarrcastic comments about my post from your keyboard. dont see why what i said is offensive to you :?: my point is that ice hockey is a family sport and thats how i like it, some where i can take my family, friends and girl friend without mindless idiots such as the one at the belfast game

Finny

I've actually had more physical confrontations at ice hockey matches than at football/rugby/cricket etc.

But then maybe that's just me. :oops:

The only time I have had a confrontation at sport where I was worried how it would end was at ice hockey.

You get morons in all walks of life, but due to the small numbers who watch ice hockey the numbers are luckily few and far between!

Personally I think it is a bit over the top to say you risk getting stabbed at other sporting events, you get that walking down the street.

It wasn't an attack on your opinion, more that you over-exagerated making it (I must look up how to spell that when I get the chance!)

jimmy snels

:lol: maybe its just u finny :lol:

iv gone to alot of away games with the devils and always felt comfortable, its one of the reasons i like the away games, the comradship of the fans. last coventry away game there was a guy starting all the chants for the blaze, we sung loader, he shouted harder.....end of the game he came and shook lots of peoples hands and wished us a safe trip home....would i get that treatment at a football game ??? doubtful to say the least!!

jimmy snels said:
last coventry away game there was a guy starting all the chants for the blaze, we sung loader, he shouted harder.....end of the game he came and shook lots of peoples hands and wished us a safe trip home....would i get that treatment at a football game ??? doubtful to say the least!!
You may have. Last season against Ipswich in the last ever game at Ninian Park the away fans held upa sign about us losing terracing.

Even though they beat us they received a standing ovation and before leaving passed the banner to the home fans.

And after the Swansea game a group of Cardiff fans attended a Swansea fundraiser for John Hartson.

Football fans have a bad rep, but most of us are decent and happy to mix before and after games! It annoys me when people say things like, 'we don't need fans like football fans at hockey matches'

I think most people are fully aware that 99% of football fans are great fun, polite, friendly and sporting. The problems only occur when people turn up with the sole intention of causing problems. However, these aren't true sports fans, just troublemakers and thugs. The same could be said for hockey fans and pretty much every other sport as well. It only takes one or two idiots to spoil things for everyone else. I know most fans are probably fed up and exasperated with the generally low quality of officiating in the Elite League but I can't imagine any true hockey fan taking it upon themselves to assault the referee, no matter how ludicrous the situation may be.

jimmy snels

3,842 arrests made for football-related offences at domestic and international matches in England and Wales in 2007/08 season fella. i really think this speaks for itself. there is holliganism element to football (for which your cardiff city are actually well known for) so my point is although the vast majority of fans are well behaved at matches, there is still violance, swearing (which is another reason why the FAMILY statment means so much to us as hockey fans) and sporadic racism. i love football and still play myself, but there is no denying there is a more aggresive reception and in many cases perception of that game than the blue tent and other hockey venues within the uk currently have. i stand by my point here and say id never want any element of that mentality in the tent or other hockey venue as i enjoy the friendly attitude so much. would i take my ten yr old nephew to a devils game?? definatly. would i take him to watch a cardiff match against swansea..... i wouldnt want him to be there :!:

jimmy snels said:
3,842 arrests made for football-related offences at domestic and international matches in England and Wales in 2007/08 season fella. i really think this speaks for itself. there is holliganism element to football (for which your cardiff city are actually well known for)" .......:!:
Hey "fella" before you go putting stats up....3.2million watched prem football alone that year, even if you doubled that figure to cover, the remaining "domestic and international matches in England and Wales" to say 6 million in that year so 3842 arrests = 0.06% arrests rate.
Hardly speaks for itself does it fella
I won't even comment on your comment about Cardiff city, just show how nieve you are fella

jimmy snels

0.06% arrests rate....over one arrest every match actual figure butt (that better for u??)

with no arrests at 67% of matches.
thats still a higher arrest % id say than a typical icehockey match?

LEAGUE MATCH ARRESTS 2003/4
Portsmouth - 146
Leeds United - 109
Manchester United - 108
Cardiff City - 107
Sunderland - 93
Hull City - 90
Plymouth Argyle - 78
Tottenham Hotspur - 77
Nottingham Forest - 73
Manchester City - 70
Aston Villa - 70

by November last year, 117 Millwall fans had been given banning orders. Only Leeds United (152) and Cardiff City (136) had more. (released after infamous west ham/millwall cup tie)

why people get so upset about the fact i stated ice hockey is a safer place is beyond me. maybe i am nieve, but there is no disputing the fact that cardiff city are well known for there 'fans' shall we say. or maybe your nieve to the fact this is what alot of people think about the cardiff city football club and until the small minority of idiots are driven away you will be tarred with the same brush by many.
im not interested in an argument more that i like the family atmosphere of hockey and hope we dont see incidents like the one mr hicks faced again

Finny

jimmy snels said:
LEAGUE MATCH ARRESTS 2003/4
Wow - let's keep this as up to date as possible! :lol:

jimmy snels said:
by November last year, 117 Millwall fans had been given banning orders. Only Leeds United (152) and Cardiff City (136) had more. (released after infamous west ham/millwall cup tie)
The reason we have more banning orders is because Cardiff City is trying to get rid of the trouble aspect. Other teams brush it under the carpet, we take action. Football games in Cardiff are far far safer than they were even 5 years ago.
jimmy snels said:
why people get so upset about the fact i stated ice hockey is a safer place is beyond me.
People have a problem when it is suggested that all football fans are hooligans. Why mention football when there are more arrests after a rugby international than after a football game?

Gaz G

Fubar said:
Re: Ice hockey referee hit by fan during match

keep on topic ffs!! :roll:
Agree with you %100 mate but just have to add my two penneth here.

When I was at University I did an assignment based on football hooliganism. Despite "facts" and "figures" I can say that football matches are very safe places to go unless you are involved in a teams "firm or crew".

I in no way condone what these people are doing but i can say with almost %100 certainty that you are very safe from trouble at a football match unless you want to be involved in trouble. This trouble is organised by the two groups who want to be involved, in an almost military style fashion. They plan everything down to the last detail.

I also know that there are the obvious incidents where people do get hurt or sometimes killed at football despite not wanting to be part of any trouble but for the most part this is in games taking place in europe which i feel is no reflection on football in britain as a whole.

When I was a youngster I used to go and watch Forest every week and not once was i subject to any danger or even bad language from those around me. Bear in mind that this was in the 80's when football violence was at a high. Since those days the police have become a lot more savvy with the whole "firm/crew" mentality as have the clubs/stadiums themselves with CCTV and a huge police presence. Although This shouldn't be neccessary at any sporting event it is there to keep trouble and mindless violence to a minimum and when it does happen it is confined to those who want to be involved in it.

Football matches in my eyes are now a very safe place to go and I have no problem taking my kids to any game.

Ice hockey on the other hand is the other end of the spectrum where violence and crowd trouble is simply not expected and CCTV and a police presence are not required and long may it continue to be so. The mindless idiot in Belfast last week is hardly a common example of fans at ice hockey matches in the U.K. and I would be amazed if anything like this happens again for a very long time.

My point through this rant is that in my eyes football matches are equally as safe to visit as ice hockey unless you want to get yourself in trouble.