Ice hockey gets second-class treatment, says Devils boss

I'm def up for doing something to get our voices heard and not only raise awareness of the current lack of facilities but the council not fulfilling an important promise it made.

They're not going to want to build another one in a rush so they've got to get this right. I think minimum 3,000 seater and ideally 2 pads would be good starting points for our demands. Things like a transparent bidding process would be nice too.

Also a nice 'off-season' meet up for Devils fans too. :D

James

Administrator
TheStub said:
I don't doubt that fact, but I also know how many of us drive over an hour to see the Devils, and therefore an idea of the devotion of the fans.

There are probably sites on the authority boundary that are as well served by buses from Cardiff and are as easy to get to as the bay. Worth exploring...

...it isn't like I'm suggesting at looking at moving to Swansea, Bridgend or even Newport.
Moving a few miles out of Newcastle didn't hurt the Vipers ... oh wait :(

TheStub

Re: Re: Ice hockey gets second-class treatment, says Devils boss

James said:
Moving a few miles out of Newcastle didn't hurt the Vipers ... oh wait :(
Subtly different situation. Whitley is a dive of a rink by all accounts, Wasps fans struggle to bring themselves to go to the Warriors rink and it is on the extreme other side of Newcastle from the core fanbase.

All that said, I actually believe Cardiff Devils should be smack bang in Cardiff center. Tear down the CIA and put us there... but it is becoming more and more obvious that Cardiff council don't want us. :(

I'm just hoping someone is pointing this treatment out to the group that made Cardiff the European City of Sport in 2014. Start hitting CCC where it hurts - bonus payments and international travel.

The thing that worries me is CCC will have the final say on any developments within CCC as planning applications have to go through them. So they basically have us where they want us. :evil:

So to look at other sites within Cardiff will be hard unless there is an area of land that CCC dont want to put another high rise or empty office space in. For the Devils to move out of Cardiff..... Tough one if they did they would have to lay on some sort of shuttle service from the city centre to get fans to wherever....

At the moment though I would love to see CCC suffer and take a fantastic facility out of their clutches where its all private funded and they dont see a penny and they watch in awe!!!! :lol:

osh

One of the main things that concerns me greatly now that PR has voiced his doubts about the style etc of the new rink and the stance that CCC seem to be taking, is the fact that if CCC continue to proceed with what is obviously a sub standard building, I can see PR upping sticks altogether and moving on! A 2500 seat arena is totally inadequate ( bearing in mind Rodney Bearman originally spoke of a new 4000 arena being favoured).
A 2500 venue will not enable to club to move forward in the desire to attract more fans (= more £ revenue) I cannot see PR going it alone, it really would be too much to expect.

But if they were to stay in Cardiff I would love to see The Capitol Centre re-developed and turned into a new facility combined with bars and cafes etc...

Already has a car park and has lots of space.... Queen St Station across the road, city centre location.....

Right .... who do I speak to ... :lol:

DevilDom

Diavlo rosso said:
But if they were to stay in Cardiff I would love to see The Capitol Centre re-developed and turned into a new facility combined with bars and cafes etc...

Already has a car park and has lots of space.... Queen St Station across the road, city centre location.....

Right .... who do I speak to ... :lol:
That would be excellent. Something similar to the Braehead areana would work a treat there.

Unfortunately if we can't get CCC to agree a decent facility on vacant land in the bay, there is even less chance of them doing it in the City Centre.

What if we promise to open a lap dancing club there??? Looks like the council are in favour of those :lol:

I would imagine the Capitol shopping centre has been hit since St. Davids 2 opened?? I think the council would only look at it if it was like Braehead!!! They want shops, bars and housing offices etc... if it was incorporated into a complex.....

Koop11

A rink in the city centre is never gonna happen. CCC has already started major development of the city centre and plans for a new multi million pound business district have recently been unveiled:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/cardiffonl ... -28426602/

I don’t see where in the city centre (a small one at that) there would be room for a rink. Even if there was, it’s prime land for the council and would not deliver the profit it warrants. It’s the Bay or nothing at all I would imagine.

Whilst I would welcome the opportunity to build a rink on the outskirts of the city, if it meant getting the appropriate facility, I cannot imagine any neighbouring local authority giving the green light with a competitive rink being built by PI in Cardiff Bay. Plus, local authorities are always doing deals and liaising about major developments. If CCC wanted to try and block a development of a rink in a neighbouring authority, they probably could with some hard negotiating.

osh

I wonder does the new rink/arena development falls within the criteria whereby the Welsh Assembly can 'call in' the project/plans etc for further discussion ? It really beggars belief that CCC expect us to accept a new building that is smaller than the original WNIR !! They want to be known as a city of sporting excellence and on the other hand give us a second rate facility, how on earth can progress be made to attract new fans and sponsors?? I am sure these points will be the main topic when SORAC gets going.

I doubt very much if any of the councils that surround Cardiff would give planning permission for an ice rink as they are probably scared of their big bad brother Cardiff County Council.

James

Administrator
Far be it from me to support the council but if it seats 2500 and is similar inside to the chavdome surely it has a bigger capacity than the wnir (2700?)

From times gone by, can anyone confirm how much the council is actually paying the owners of the tent in rent. The original deal was the council funded the tent build for 3 years after which time it reverted back to the builder and the council would rent it back!

If anyone can flush this fact out, it would make an ideal campaign against the council as it was reported at the time they used the council capital budget for a rental agreement in that the council never actually owned the tent, it had always been owned by the developer!

Gazza272

ronwaldron34 said:
From times gone by, can anyone confirm how much the council is actually paying the owners of the tent in rent. The original deal was the council funded the tent build for 3 years after which time it reverted back to the builder and the council would rent it back!

If anyone can flush this fact out, it would make an ideal campaign against the council as it was reported at the time they used the council capital budget for a rental agreement in that the council never actually owned the tent, it had always been owned by the developer!

Mike Petrious owns the Tent. or at least Planet ice down. As in if they wanted to knock it down and move it. they could.

Thought it was a chap called Steve or similar but if that is the case, explains why Planet Ice can give free ice rental to the Devils as they are coining it in from the council in hiring the tent to them, something the rate payers should actually own, clever old Planet Ice.

Two problems sorted in one.....

Millenium Stadium North Stand is completed.

Devils get a new rink in a city centre location.

Aligns with Bute leagcy that the site is used for sport.

Apologies, its not any kind of professional design, I couldn't find a rink that both fit and I liked! lol! But at least you get the idea.

Attachments

Ocko

I read something in the Western Mail about the knocking down of the Arms Park and building the North Stand... A few ideas were turned down but one thing they seemed keen on was the building of a sort of exhibition centre... something like Braehead rink would obviously fit in well for both parties and a 4000 capacity would be ideal IMO.