Ice hockey gets second-class treatment, says Devils boss

Earnie

When PI was announced as winner of the contract we were asked by PR not to make a fuss .
We assumed PR was still negotiating as indeed he probably was.
Now SORAC hinting at public protests (which I shall endeavour to attend)
At this stage is it not too little and too late?

steve

negotiating got us a bigger VIP area :oops:

protest it is.

i'd rather stay in the tent than allow them to build something that will be unsuitable for years to come.

steve said:
negotiating got us a bigger VIP area :oops:

protest it is.

i'd rather stay in the tent than allow them to build something that will be unsuitable for years to come.
TOTALLY AGREE! protesting is always a last resort, (well there is always the burning torch and pitchfork approach I guess), but we need more awareness raised, everyone know that the devils used to have a rink in the city centre but now its at the bay its a bit of a pain to get to. So what I think we need to do is a bit of practical, positive PR raising work! Let's show CCC that we don't want o be left in the draw and forgotten about!

Earnie

If getting the decent rink we deserve with 3000 + capacity and two pads means another year in the tent then I can live with that. Hopefully PR can as well!

steve

i'd wait 3, 4 or 5 years to be honest earnie. clearly the recession (or 'excuse' as i like to call it in this case) has hit hard, and the council are tightening belts. However, once this new building is up, we'll be stuck with it for years.

The tent is not fit for purpose, but it is bearable - people will put up with it for a while longer if it's temporary - but people won't come (and keep coming), if our new permanent facility isn't up to scratch.

Finny

Earnie said:
If getting the decent rink we deserve with 3000 + capacity and two pads means another year in the tent then I can live with that. Hopefully PR can as well!
+1

Time for protests has come!

TheStub

Re: Re: Ice hockey gets second-class treatment, says Devils boss

Earnie said:
Totally.

I know I got flamed for it before - but the Devils need to look in the surrounding authories. Put together a decent arena package and threaten CCC claim to be a major sporting capital.

There may be u-turns that make CCC look like tops.

wildthing74

TheStub said:
[I know I got flamed for it before - but the Devils need to look in the surrounding authories. Put together a decent arena package and threaten CCC claim to be a major sporting capital.

There may be u-turns that make CCC look like tops.
But if people moan about getting to the bay,going out of town makes the problem worse.

TheStub

True. But if there was a decent enough facility would people travel?

It would also put a rival scheme up that would force your council's hand.

DevilDom

TheStub said:
I know I got flamed for it before - but the Devils need to look in the surrounding authories. Put together a decent arena package and threaten CCC claim to be a major sporting capital.
Would this actually work though? I can imagine a lot of fans that live in Cardiff not being interested if the Devils were moved anywhere else. It's taken 25 years to build the fanbase the Devils have and a big chunk of that could be lost. I think the council would see this as an empty threat because it probably wouldn't work anywhere else other than Cardiff.

wildthing74

There is no doubting that and if it was say Natgarw it is easier for people in the north of the city to get to and I would benefit but I'm not convinced we would take enough of our fan base with us and would we win new fans in an area with the name "Cardiff" Devils?

DevilDom

wildthing74 said:
There is no doubting that and if it was say Natgarw it is easier for people in the north of the city to get to and I would benefit but I'm not convinced we would take enough of our fan base with us and would we win new fans in an area with the name "Cardiff" Devils?
Nantgarw would be great for me too! Would we then called the Rhondda Cynon Taff Devils though? :? I can't see this being good for attracting new fans or visiting fans as there is nothing much else around there.

TheStub

I don't doubt that fact, but I also know how many of us drive over an hour to see the Devils, and therefore an idea of the devotion of the fans.

There are probably sites on the authority boundary that are as well served by buses from Cardiff and are as easy to get to as the bay. Worth exploring...

...it isn't like I'm suggesting at looking at moving to Swansea, Bridgend or even Newport.

Ger-Devils

DevilDom said:
wildthing74 said:
Nantgarw would be great for me too! Would we then called the Rhondda Cynon Taff Devils though? :? I can't see this being good for attracting new fans or visiting fans as there is nothing much else around there.
No where to build up there either. Last bit of decent size land is now being constructed into an extra part of Coleg Morgannwg

We can't move out of Cardiff, this has been our home for 25 years and always should be. The further away from Cardiff city centre we get the worse it will be for the club. We are the Cardiff Devils, not the Newport, Swansea or Nantgarw Devils!

jimmy snels

well penarth is a stones throw away would that be close enough and out of the CCC catchment area? i think thats the vale of glam then. the trains run here to so might make getting there actually easier for people!

wildthing74

DevilDom said:
TheStub said:
Would this actually work though? I can imagine a lot of fans that live in Cardiff not being interested if the Devils were moved anywhere else. It's taken 25 years to build the fanbase the Devils have and a big chunk of that could be lost. I think the council would see this as an empty threat because it probably wouldn't work anywhere else other than Cardiff.
Spot on.We have to stay in the city to survive.We have built an identity and for all our fans have stayed loyal a lot simply don't have the means to travel and with links being bad enough around the city itself I worry that with public transport being poor people would not be able to get there.