Sheincar said:
Wannabe2 said:
We certainly miss a modern day Nicky Chinn, last season British goal scorers
Peacock 23 goals 18 ass = 41 pts
Dowd. 19 goals 16 ass=35 pts
Myers 14 goals 14 ass = 28 pts
Shields 13 goals 26 ass = 39 pts
Farmer 12 goals 24 ass = 36 pts
These are very often the difference between winning and losing a game, take these points away from a team and your Imports need to be the Mutts Nutts.
No idea where you got those figures from. These are Myers stats http://www.eliteleague.co.uk/person/?pl ... le=0&tab=0 , points production steadily reducing year on year.
Hockey database, these are league games only, as they have Matt playing 37 games.

Have Hope#35

Spearsy said:
Are we taking into account the fact we have a Brit goalie also. This allows for an extra import skater. Alongside that we also have two very good Brit D men. Swings and roundabouts in this case for me.
Agree... And they have 4 Goals and 15 Assists between them in 30 Games!

Finny

I wouldn't swap our top three brits of Bowns, Batch and Richardson for any other brits in the league. And that's not just me saying it for the sake of it - I really do believe that.

I totally agree. Some teams pay good money for import D men with Batch's size and toughness, and Richardson is as good as any D man in the league, Brit or import. I know Hotham's the superstar on that line, but he does make errors from time to time. I can't remember the last time I saw Richie make an obvious mistake....and I'd take that over someone like Dowd or Peacock.

And remember, there was a time that Phil Hill would post 25-30 odd points a season, and no-one misses him!

mazza03

Finny said:
I wouldn't swap our top three brits of Bowns, Batch and Richardson for any other brits in the league. And that's not just me saying it for the sake of it - I really do believe that.
Totally agree Finny.

osh

mazza03 said:
Finny said:
Totally agree Finny.
Neither would I.....but unfortunately, I would swap our two Brit forwards for a proven goal scoring Brit. I genuinely feel that if Piggsy and CJ went out on loan for a year to a lower league, they would get sufficient ice time that would enable them to concentrate on finishing, it's a weak point in their game at this time. They already have the energy, it just needs fine tuning and that comes with more ice time.

Ocko

Kind of agree with you osh about the lower league part but the NIHL didn't provide the stepping stone required. Both were prolific at that level. Piggsy never really played in the EPL and CJ had one year but didn't really score a great deal at that level either. Difficult one but I think they've both missed their development years in their teens and early 20s to have that side of their game.

Finny

The question though osh would be whether a proven goal scoring Brit would join us as a 10th forward? I'm guessing that was one of the reasons Myers left us in the summer?

With the import limit increasing next summer though I'd hope we would seriously look at 4 line hockey. And then you'd need at least one goal scoring Brit.

osh

Finny said:
The question though osh would be whether a proven goal scoring Brit would join us as a 10th forward? I'm guessing that was one of the reasons Myers left us in the summer?

With the import limit increasing next summer though I'd hope we would seriously look at 4 line hockey. And then you'd need at least one goal scoring Brit.
The answer is Finny... A proven Brit goalscorer would join us if we used a system where we could rotate any of the forwards on any line whenever the coach felt it right to do so. I'm not sure that was the reason Myers left us either. He is good enough to get into our set up at the moment. If the import increases next season and we go with 4 lines, it's even more important to have a decent goal scoring Brit I would think. As an aside, what are CJ & Piggsy's points contribution so far this season ?
Never mind how much time they have spent on the ice, the reason for that is simple.....they just aren't as good as the imports. We have D who are as good as imports but no forwards ( sorry CJ & Piggsy )

KaneDevils

Agree with osh. Yes cj and piggsy give us energy and zip and a good work rate. But point production just isn't there. We have great Brit D and nettie, but no scoring forwards. No argument.

# both have played 30 games, neither have a single point.

DevilDom

I think its a bit unfair to look at CJ and Piggsy simply on points production. They both have an important role in the team often working their bags off on the PK or giving the other forwards a rest whilst not letting the opposition rest. They might not be huge in size but always finish their checks and their energy is invaluable. CJ has also taken opposition players out of the game with fights this year.

The Devils have done well the last year and a bit through a team ethos where everyone has a defined role on the team. I'd hate to see us go down the line of recruiting just "stars" or simply on the basis of points and losing that.