Herrman released

Devils86

Releasing a player doesn't always mean a new one is coming in. Although it's obvious that an experienced, calm defence man is needed to organise and galvanise our defence. Whilst our only realistic chance of silverware at the moment has gone, perhaps the Club has decided to continue with the current roster instead of further investment for the remaining half of the season. Maybe Bayley Harewood will be called up for more games along with Reece Kelly? We are out of Challenge Cup, Continental Cup has gone, we have a big battle on out hands for the League title. What would you do as an owner/GM?

If Jake is training again then that's really great. Think everyone would be thrilled to see him fully recovered and back as part of the team....but 'non contact' training is miles away from being fit and safe enough to play a tough hockey game.
We've got 20-odd games left and the playoffs, going from experience I highly doubt the owners have written off this season. They'll believe we can still win the playoffs and will give it everything until the league is a mathematical impossibility. They will expect the same from Du Pont and the players.

I see the release of Herman as a genuine two sided decision based on Fournier taking his place. I doubt that a D man will come in for the same money Herman was on - not a D man that will make much difference anyway. Kelly doing the job when called up and yes maybe Harewood will get a call.

But I have no doubt that if there was someone available that the club could legitimately bring in without going over the cap, they would. They haven't given up on this season yet.

Now whether I have is a different matter, lol.

Finny

I am consistent, stop grasping at straws. He should’ve remained for the season at least. The crazy decision was signing him, knowing his CV and binning him after a few weeks. If your going to roll the dice on a guy who’s literally never played pro, give him time, these aren't natural skills grown in hours. I fully support young unproven talent, to grow, the club is panic buying.
Do you understand what the word consistent means?
When he signed you criticised the club for not making this type of signing before.
Now that’s he been released you’re criticising the club for making this type of signing at all. That’s not consistency. That’s a complete U-turn.

Devils86

Do you understand what the word consistent means?
When he signed you criticised the club for not making this type of signing before.
Now that’s he been released you’re criticising the club for making this type of signing at all. That’s not consistency. That’s a complete U-turn.
It's consistently criticising the Devils. Consistently negative. Some fans will sway with the wind, but some stick to their principles: that the Devils are always wrong.

tim78

I'm not one to criticise and this isn't a criticism of the organisation but praise. For me Ironically the above hiring someone then firing someone isn't a great step and that could be what the above statement is saying.

From what I read the Devils took on someone wanting to progress into professional hockey in good stead made the recruitment, the player didn't make the mark (at this point) and was found another club what couldn't be more simple, reasonable and straight forward.

Wannabe2

I'm not one to criticise and this isn't a criticism of the organisation but praise. For me Ironically the above hiring someone then firing someone isn't a great step and that could be what the above statement is saying.

From what I read the Devils took on someone wanting to progress into professional hockey in good stead made the recruitment, the player didn't make the mark (at this point) and was found another club what couldn't be more simple, reasonable and straight forward.
To normal people it’s perfectly simple, to the small minded that live to stir it’s another think to moan about.

lloyd_jeff

I guess I’d just give inexperienced players more time, l guess the Devils expect their inexperienced players to perform immediately. My criticism is that, expecting more than is possible. I wouldn’t use the same criteria to measure both, the irony & crazy decisions is the club are retaining far more experienced players who are underperforming

We've got 20-odd games left and the playoffs, going from experience I highly doubt the owners have written off this season. They'll believe we can still win the playoffs and will give it everything until the league is a mathematical impossibility. They will expect the same from Du Pont and the players.

I see the release of Herman as a genuine two sided decision based on Fournier taking his place. I doubt that a D man will come in for the same money Herman was on - not a D man that will make much difference anyway. Kelly doing the job when called up and yes maybe Harewood will get a call.

But I have no doubt that if there was someone available that the club could legitimately bring in without going over the cap, they would. They haven't given up on this season yet.

Now whether I have is a different matter, lol.
I obviously haven't been looking and am not in the know but I wonder how much an Experienced, tried and tested (maybe somewhat more senior in age) D Man would cost from the league(s) just below ours, maybe someone that has previously played at this level in comparison to what Herman was on. Just to fill in on a temporary level. Maybe someone coming to the end of there career. Or even maybe a top level YOUNG D-Man Brit that is performing at the top of his game at that level and maybe wants to make a statement could be given a shot for similar wages.

Would be interesting either way.

Was just a quick passing thought. But I wonder just how many there are out there (In Britain, not necessarily British) that could fill that slot for the same wage or even improve on it.

Anyone have any names or suggestions they could think of.......FOR FUN........ and please peeps don't shoot any suggestions down if ANY are made. Just state a reason why you agree or disagree with a suggested player. But that player has to be playing in one of the British leagues BELOW the EIHL (To reflect potential salary) And before anyone rips this last paragraph apart I realise it is highly unlikely otherwise they would already have been snapped up I just thought maybe one or two of you may know a little about the lower leagues and MAY have that scouting eye that could reveal a potential future signing before any of us even know.

Last edited:

kristian

Yeah I saw that. Could we just be keeping an eye on him. Let him get game time and experience and sign him back in a year or 2.
The fact that the Devils helped getting him a deal sounds to me that it was just the right for him.

He needs to play. We’ve done the same with other players (like Moore and Rutkis) who seemed like they were very much part of the furniture.

It’s not that they weren’t good, they needed development. You don’t get much of that sat on the bench.

Who knows if we see him again, but as the ones who brought him over I’m sure we’d be in with a shout of getting him back should we choose to.