Gerad and Franny for 2011/2012

Wannabe2

osh said:
voth26 said:
osh and devildom, what can i say about both your posts!!! except look at the likes of the panthers who spend BIG money and havent won the league in how ever many years it is but they still keep faith with neilson, we are the ONLY team to qualify for playoff's EVERY year, last year we lost by the width of a post in the FINAL for gods sake, we will win silverware if you are not entirely happy with g and franny who do YOU suggest we sign!!! and would they guarantee success.
Voth26, you ask 'what can I say about both your posts' I would first of all suggest your read them correctly!! Where have you read that I am unhappy with G and Franny ? Far from it, I have been singing their praises after emphasising that I was indeed one of their detractors more than a year ago.

Finny, it is of no matter who the owner was a year ago be it Burge or Ragan, the 3 year plan has always been debated on this forum as the time that should be allowed for G to bring success to the club, and he appears to be doing just that, as I have already stated.
Nice spelling Butt.

A

Anonymous

TheDevilTorn said:
Ah yes, what a brilliant response to a genuine question...
Genuine question but also a silly one. We could of course wait for 'G' to win the treble before re-signing him and in the process risk losing him to a lucrative offer from a bigger team from a bigger league.

ThunderRd hit the nail on the bonce. Shall we sign up Matzka, Macrae, Pelle now, or wait to see if we win any silverware, I mean come on!

If we do end the season empty handed, we should still be very proud of the squad 'G' and Franny have assembled and they both deserve enormous credit for the calibre of player brought in. Re-signing them now was the right decision no doubt about it. Sometimes you have to "strike while the iron's hot" !!
P.S Good job he wasn't replaced at the end of last season as many of you wanted. What was it most on here predicted this year, a mid table finish and a season of mediocrity? ZOIKS !! :shock:

Wannabe2

Chris said:
Nice spelling Butt.
Seriously, if you have nothing to add to the conversation then just leave the thread alone.

Chris.
Think the re-signing of Gerad and Franny is Paramount to this club going forward, these two seem to get better and better every year, there signings of this season says it all, well played by the club to get this sorted sooner than later, after all many clubs would probably have stepped in if these guys werent signed up.
Hows that.

A

Anonymous

Wannabe2 said:
Chris said:
Nice spelling Butt.
Seriously, if you have nothing to add to the conversation then just leave the thread alone.

Chris.
Think the re-signing of Gerad and Franny is Paramount to this club going forward, these two seem to get better and better every year, there signings of this season says it all, well played by the club to get this sorted sooner than later, after all many clubs would probably have stepped in if these guys werent signed up.
Hows that.
OK, but it should be their signings, not there. You have also missed the ' in the words werent and Hows. Should of course read weren't and How's.

E.D.S.

P.S Good job he wasn't replaced at the end of last season as many of you wanted. What was it most on here predicted this year, a mid table finish and a season of mediocrity? ZOIKS !! :shock:
We still haven't won anything yet. I'm really pleased with what the guys have done and I was one of those people that questioned G's tenure as manager. The run we are on is phenomenal but it needs an end result - e.g. silverware! 19, 20, 21 games unbeaten won't mean a thing unless we convert it into trophies. I hope we do but i think it's a bit premature to start goading people who called for G's head.

A

Anonymous

We still haven't won anything yet. I'm really pleased with what the guys have done and I was one of those people that questioned G's tenure as manager. The run we are on is phenomenal but it needs an end result - e.g. silverware! 19, 20, 21 games unbeaten won't mean a thing unless we convert it into trophies. I hope we do but i think it's a bit premature to start goading people who called for G's head

Goading? Simply stating fact. You do not replace a manager/coach every time you have a fruitless season. Wether we win anything or not remains to be seen, but we wont finish mid table and the season will be far from mediocre. Some of you need to shake off that hanging black cloud. Calling for 'G's' head after we came so damn close to winning two trophies last season was unjust. We should all be glad he stayed, that's all I'm saying.

E.D.S.

TheDevilTorn said:
We still haven't won anything yet. I'm really pleased with what the guys have done and I was one of those people that questioned G's tenure as manager. The run we are on is phenomenal but it needs an end result - e.g. silverware! 19, 20, 21 games unbeaten won't mean a thing unless we convert it into trophies. I hope we do but i think it's a bit premature to start goading people who called for G's head

Goading? Simply stating fact. You do not replace a manager/coach every time you have a fruitless season. Wether we win anything or not remains to be seen, but we wont finish mid table and the season will be far from mediocre. Some of you need to shake off that hanging black cloud. Calling for 'G's' head after we came so damn close to winning two trophies last season was unjust. We should all be glad he stayed, that's all I'm saying.
I completely accept your opinion but I guess it's all about people's definition of success. "Coming close" is great for some but not for others. We did come close last season but we still ended up nothing and our league position didn't really scream "progress" for me. If G had of been sacked then I wouldn't have been questioning why too much. However the guy got another chance and he now has a team that he is able to do something with, some may argue that he had that before (excluding the inclusion of Weller this season which is a massive exception). Some of us prefer 'the glass half empty approach', you seem like a 'glass half full' type of person - each to their own. For me G and Franny have done incredibly well but the jury is still out for me on whether he is truly a top class coach. I'm looking forward to being proven wrong.

Wannabe2

E.D.S. said:
TheDevilTorn said:

I completely accept your opinion but I guess it's all about people's definition of success. "Coming close" is great for some but not for others. We did come close last season but we still ended up nothing and our league position didn't really scream "progress" for me. If G had of been sacked then I wouldn't have been questioning why too much. However the guy got another chance and he now has a team that he is able to do something with, some may argue that he had that before (excluding the inclusion of Weller this season which is a massive exception). Some of us prefer 'the glass half empty approach', you seem like a 'glass half full' type of person - each to their own. For me G and Franny have done incredibly well but the jury is still out for me on whether he is truly a top class coach. I'm looking forward to being proven wrong.
Fair comment but who would you prefer, who would anyone prefer.

DevilDom

E.D.S. said:
Excellent Post.

TheStub

When things are going well stability is key, both on and off the ice. Bring in a new coach and that is going to be a rebuilding year... unless you do what Squeelers did and sign a team and the swap coaches. That way you have stability on the ice whilst Simon recruits his tweaks.

Just look at Dundee, Caps and Vipers. Arguably they are only just starting to stabilise. Caps and Vipers have other issues I know.

In UK ice hockey, this season has already been successful enough to resign the coaching staff. If we don't get silverware I can see next season being more make or break tbh.

I doubt we will see a similar announcement about coach Corey any time soon.

A

Anonymous

I get your drift but you can't keep sacking/replacing the coach/manager every time you have a trophy less season.
Stability is important, vital in fact. In sport we are too quick too often to say "sack the coach". Should Arsenal sack Wenger because they haven't won silverware since 2005? Anyway, last season is last season. This season is now and we are doing fantastic, better than anyone predicted. So let's just enjoy the season.

TheDevilTorn said:
P.s
you seem like a 'glass half full' type of person
Look at the league table? We should all be "glass half full" type of people right now.
I don't agree with a lot of your posts....but that one is top notch!

People saying that G maybe should've been sacked for not winning silverware, I find that amazing. When you lose on a shoot-out it is out of the coaches hands, whether players get a lucky/unlucky bounce or bottle it, is not down to them. He helped put us in a place to win and the rest was down to the players.

jimmy snels

in the past iv never been a massive G fan, thought he got alot of things wrong earlier in his coaching days. what i will say now is he has improved alot, sorted out the dressing room, got the players singing off the same hyme sheet and we're having a good year. I would suggest now we're defo title contenders and playing fantastic hockey. PR is obviously impressed and has given the man a new deal. i see this as a positive step. I also think if we could sign a couple of the team earlier that would be fantastic. Id sign that 3rd (or i they are second..... :shock: ) line now!!
weller is a fantastic capture for us and to get him for the season it shows that G has the respect and backing of the players.

If he can finally get one of the lads to stand in front of the net PERMINANTLY on PP's i will be happy!! :lol:

wildthing74

I'm shocked at the response that Dom and Osh have received on this thread for in my opnion asking a perfectly legitimit question.
For what its worth I am glad that PR has opted for stability and kept G and Franny as this is the coaching team that recruited the current players and I can't think of any that I wouldn't want back next season.Getting them signed up now will hopefully give us more chance of keeping most if not all the current squad.
I have had my doubts in recent seasons in G's ability to coach this team to titles but thats more down to my belief that teams with non playing coach's carry and advantage.Its just my opnion because when a coach is off ice he is not having to worry about his own game and gets to see the full 60 minutes from the bench.Whilst most teams have a bench coach too ultimatley the main man is the guy that calls the shots and the fact that the last few league titles have been won by Thommo and Matsos maybe adds to that theory?
I would love to see G given free reign to do what he felt was best for the team.From what he has said in the last few seasons he has played as an import to save the club money rather than having to budget for him plus an extra import.He has more than done a good job this season as a player but I do get the impression given the choice if he could afford to he would be behind the bench full time.We may lose leadership on the ice as a result but I guess that just comes doen to what players are recruited.
As PR said at the forum we hope to have guys signed back by the end of this month so getting G and Franny back gives us the best chance to get it done now and G can relax knowing his job is safe.
I think Franny deserves credit for the current team too,after all it was him that lined up Tylor and what a genius bit of business that was.

A

Anonymous

That's cool, just take more time reading them and you'll find yourself agreeing with more of my posts. ;)
for the record, I don't agree with any of yours! :lol:

I'm shocked at the response that Dom and Osh have received on this thread for in my opnion asking a perfectly legitimit question.
I honestly fail to see any response that is likely to shock anyone? Just healthy debate. We all know the cliche "if we all agreed ....... " etc etc.

A

Anonymous

bluedevil said:
TheDevilTorn said:
That's cool, just take more time reading them and you'll find yourself agreeing with more of my posts. ;)
for the record, I don't agree with any of yours! :lol:
So you don't think your post was top notch then?
;)
I think all my posts are top notch ;) (well most of 'em)

I get what DevilDom is saying, I really do. I just think its insane. Lets not judge G on last season or the season before, thats gone, done and dusted. Lets focus on now!! WE are a team. All stick together and potentially this could be one hell of a season. There shouldn't be any negativity at this moment in time, none at all.

DevilDom

TheDevilTorn said:
I get what DevilDom is saying, I really do. Lets not judge G on last season or the season before, thats gone, done and dusted.
I don't think you do. I really don't - but never mind. ;)

Where was I judging G on previous seasons? For the record I have never called for G to be sacked - not in last season or the start of this one. I have also never even said I don't agree with him and Franny being re-signed for next season. I simply posed a question.

Chris

Administrator
I've deleted several posts which didn't add anything to this thread, i'll send the people who had replies deleted a pm though.

Thread unlocked.