Gerad and Franny for 2011/2012

Koop11

Thread starter #1
I feel this deserves a thread of its own but I just wanted to congratulate both Gerad and Franny for extending their contracts for the next season and a thank you and well done to the Devils management for making the offer.

This duo has received some stick for performances in previous years but in that time I feel they have delivered an entertaining team every season. Gerad fell into the role when Patterson was relieved of his duties half way through 2006/2007 and in inherited a very good team. Seasons following and I feel Gerad had to fight with weaker budgets and two seasons of horrendous injuries to hit the squads (I feel for the likes of Coventry now) without any support to backfill. Yet he managed to lead the team to the playoffs finals every season he has been in charge.

When Matt Burge came in, we still have a modest budget but with the removal of a lot of the off ice politics I really feel this helped pave the wave for Gerad and Franny’s better seasons’ as coaches. Last season was the first time I feel Gerad was presented with a competitive budget and we came within one goal of winning the CC and the heartbreaking lottery penalty shootout loss to Belfast in the Playoff Final.

This year, with another competitive budget, but dare I say nowhere near the biggest in the league (we know Sheffield and I suggest Nottingham and Belfast are larger), Gerad and Franny have put together the best team we have ever had in Elite League era. It is entertaining, as ever, but this time around it is a consistent winning team with the right attitude and belief it can achieve. Much of that is down to the players but it’s the coach/s who bring those guys in and that is where huge credit goes to these guys who are still learning their trade.

Welcome on board again both.

Wannabe2

This is really great news, this season has really shown what continuity on the bench can achieve, along with first class signings. Two genuine guys that would go thru a brick wall for this club, and it shows big time. Well played Mr Ragan two fantastic signings.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

Scott

Good to hear... No matter what you think of G/Franny, last season was a definite improvement on the season before, and it looks like this season will be an improvement on last season. You've always got to try and re-sign an improving coaching team.

Last season they came under fire for crappy away form, and rightly so. Right now we're on an 8 game road winning streak.

This season we had a crap start to the year, and our PP was shocking for the first few weeks of the season. Hopefully this will be addressed next year, as streaks like the one we're on now aren't going to happen every year to haul us back into contention.

I think G/Franny are getting better at coaching/recruiting all the time. They seem to have learnt what sort of players are needed to put a winning team on the ice. Out of the other coaches in the league, could we really wish for anybody better?

ASHIPP

And folks were worried that Ben Simon had re-newed his coaching contract with the Steelers, but nothing announced for G and Franny! :roll: Patience, fellow Devils fanatics - all the good stuff arrives in the end!
PR is no fool - he knows that stability, consistency and progressive improvement will eventually reap success. The veteran coaching staff at the Devils have, in the last 3-4 years, gradually improved the quality of recruitment and developed team style and skills. This season, G and Franny have done a tremendous job with recruitment - players not only with all -round fantastic skill, but winning experience and great team spirit - and they have developed an incredible style of team play that has eliminated the weaknesses from last year (too many PIMs, erratic away games). Year on year, the team has crept nearer success - so close last year. It is now only a matter of time for the Club to reap rewards.

It's fantastic news to see these guys return...afterall, they don't belong anywhere else other than our beloved BBT. :cool: What would be equally fantastic now would be for as many as possible of the current team to be secured for next season. :D

DevilDom

Sorry to be slightly negative on this but is it only me who thinks this is slightly premature?

We haven't won any silverware yet this season and this is the 3rd year of the much talked about 3 year plan.

TheStub

Re: Re: Gerad and Franny for 2011/2012

DevilDom said:
Sorry to be slightly negative on this but is it only me who thinks this is slightly premature?

We haven't won any silverware yet this season and this is the 3rd year of the much talked about 3 year plan.
Wasn't it a three year plan for profitability not on ice success. Plus that was under the previous owner.

Wannabe2

DevilDom said:

18 flippin league wins on the trot, one point of the leaders with 4 games in hand, beaten every team in the league on our historic run, one of the best entertaining teams we have had for years, a coach that big spending Panthers would give there right hand for, and you ask if its PREMATURE, for gods sake man get a grip. If i was as flippin pessimistic as you, i would knock this sport on the head, come on give us a break.

Chris

Administrator
18 flippin league wins on the trot, one point of the leaders with 4 games in hand, beaten every team in the league on our historic run, one of the best entertaining teams we have had for years, a coach that big spending Panthers would give there right hand for, and you ask if its PREMATURE, for gods sake man get a grip. If i was as flippin pessimistic as you, i would knock this sport on the head, come on give us a break.
Ah yes, what a brilliant response to a genuine question...

Chris :|

osh

Wannabe2 said:
DevilDom said:

Way over the top response wannabe, it may be a premature announcement, but justified as far as PR and the season so far. nd yes, it is year 3 of the so called 3 year plan, and the 3 tyear plan definately leaned towards winning things, which is hopefully what we willm achieve this season. You have sounded off without actually answering the question.

Koop11

Thread starter #12
You been drinking Osh :)

While we’re talking about the ‘3 year plan’, this was a statement made by our previous owner, Matt Burge, to be self financing as an organisation. I am unaware of any commitment made to winning silverware in that period, although of course Matt would hoped to have done so.

We’re all entitled to our opinions but I feel in the time and circumstances Gerad has been at the club, he has done a very good job indeed. He’s made mistakes and their have been shortcomings (our away record last season with the team we had) but in general I feel he has done very well to date.

Wannabe2

osh said:
Wannabe2 said:
DevilDom said:

Way over the top response wannabe, it may be a premature announcement, but justified as far as PR and the season so far. nd yes, it is year 3 of the so called 3 year plan, and the 3 tyear plan definately leaned towards winning things, which is hopefully what we willm achieve this season. You have sounded off without actually answering the question.
Maybe i was wrong, but my spelling wasnt. ;)

osh

No drinking Koop (not allowed where I am at present - KSA) anyway, the 3 year plan may have been stated by the previous owner, however, it definately was also spoken about on many occasions that we had to give G 3 years to bring success to the club. Thats a fact because this time last year I was certainly one of a number of fans who would gladly have changed him for the way things were going at that time. Credit where it is due, and I have been delighted to see him turn things around. He has recruited well, is playing a better disciplined team game and Franny has improved also. I also have to say we haven't won anything yet, but even if we don't this season, I think he has done a great job.

rocketbob

I for one am delighted to have G and Franny re-signed for next year. If you are PR you can't win. When we didn't sign them up before Ben Simon, people were saying he is favouring Sheffield and when he did others are suggesting that is premature.
Another case of not being possible to please all of the people all of the time.......

totally agree with wannabe 2
Given the re signing of the the boss and bench coach. If the whole team were re signed for next year, tomorrow. Would the general opinion be they aint won anything yet?
No way! the buzz would be superbe! bring it on!
Good move. Stability in place for the pre season.
Soooo enjoying some of our best hockey in years.
Don't knock it Guys.

DevilDom

Wannabe2 said:
DevilDom said:

BUT, we have't won anything yet. If we were to just miss out on trophies (as we did last season) would people still be happy we re-signed the coach so early on.

I'm not saying either way whether it is a good or bad thing as I think it's too early to decide.

Skippy

I think where the Devils have fallen down in the past has been that they have seemed to lack stability, we don't sign a coach early so players leave and sign elsewhere.

The sooner we lock a coach in for next season the sooner we can start locking in players for next year.

Look at the few years if Stability the Blaze had with the Calder, Carlson someone who's name I forget...Stewart? line staying for a few seasons they kept getting better by playing together.

I'd like to see our first line play together again next season just to see what they could do, signing G and Franny now is a good start to that.