G Sacked?????

Ocko

I'm not all that surprised. Steelers see themselves as the top club in the country. His style of hockey is incredibly boring, he's probably the most negative coach in the league in his set up, and he isn't a charismatic coach like Thompson or Adey that they have striven for, for years.

That's not saying he's a bad coach but he isn't one to put out a team to entertain.

BostonBart22

be surprised if weber goes there, stewart may have had word that weber was staying at coventry hence signed a 2 year deal....i think his downfall was losing to devils on home ice in front of 7000 plus steelers fans in challenge cup final... ADEY lined up ? :shock:

Koop11

Poison chalice. Sheffield demand silverware and a brand of hockey that inspires.. I remember under Matsos the fans were not entertained despite winning a league and back to back playoffs in two seasons. The inevitable change was made.

On the face of it you have to feel for G. Steered the team to a playoff title and followed up with the league (not to mention a final appearance on both other competitions). Clearly however Smith feels G cannot deliver on the new multi-purpose role. That’s a big ask for anyone though in my opinion. Good luck to whoever takes on that role.

Where now for G I wonder….

It's probably quite an expensive move as well, depending on the contract. If it had a break-cause, and was terminable on notice, you'd expect that only to apply during the off-season. Or, if notice can be given at any time during the season, it would/should be a reasonably long notice period to ensure enough time to get a new coach in place in the event that the incumbent resigned.

If he's leaving immediately, he'll be paid in lieu of any notice. Has he been there for more than 2 years (calendar day to calendar day)? If so, he'll have acquired certain legal rights, and may therefore have had enough leverage to negotiate a settlement package.

If he lands somewhere like Dundee in the immediate future, he could potentially be double-earning for a short period of time, with the salary he receives from the new club and any notice/compensatory payment from the Steelers. So, unless he doesn't find a new job, I won't be feeling too sorry for him.

Tommy

Have Hope#35

TommyDevil13 said:
It's probably quite an expensive move as well, depending on the contract. If it had a break-cause, and was terminable on notice, you'd expect that only to apply during the off-season. Or, if notice can be given at any time during the season, it would/should be a reasonably long notice period to ensure enough time to get a new coach in place in the event that the incumbent resigned.

If he's leaving immediately, he'll be paid in lieu of any notice. Has he been there for more than 2 years (calendar day to calendar day)? If so, he'll have acquired certain legal rights, and may therefore have had enough leverage to negotiate a settlement package.

If he lands somewhere like Dundee in the immediate future, he could potentially be double-earning for a short period of time, with the salary he receives from the new club and any notice/compensatory payment from the Steelers. So, unless he doesn't find a new job, I won't be feeling too sorry for him.
Tommy
He certainly hasn't passed the 2yr mark with Shuff and I even doubt that he'll have much of a notice period!?

ASHIPP

Smith wants exciting hockey. He wants a team that thrills the crowd. He wants a major restructure on and off the ice. He has seen what has been achieved at the Cardiff Devils this season.

He also wants a fast, fit and dynamic team. Would imagine some of the veteran players on that roster are feeling unsettled now. Promised testimonials wont mean anything...their coach had a two year contract and he just lost his job.

However terrible G feels right now, he is best out of that poison chalice. He said it himself
it was a success monster. Losing not an option. Hope he and his family find an opportunity soon.

Perhaps Smith can persuade Glen Sather out of retirement. Afterall, Steelers are the new Edmonton Oilers!

This was the last thing I expected to happen especially after the last season and a bit. Mixed feelings. Just hope this pays off for Tony, otherwise he may end up with more annoyed and frustrated fans than now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rolf

This just sucks. G was always 100% for us and moved that to Sheffield. During his short time there, he won them the play offs and the league, took them to two other finals and then gets gassed. He also recruited some of the best scorers seen in this league last year.

We all thought Ragan was greasy, not apologising for him (hell no) but Rhino have just unpleasantly greased themselves just about as much.

What a way to treat arguably your best asset.

jimmy snels

Not arguing the results G won the league. But it must be said almost everyone on here has mentioned the poor quality of hockey to WATCH and how there was nothing to them Physically. I wonder if after seeing what we have with no doubt half the budget the owner is asking "why can't i get some of that?".
I know one thing my bet is whoever comes in next gases hill from the line up so perhaps we should sign our brits... like.... now!!

ASHIPP

I would question whether any unsigned British players would even want to play in that sort of environment irrespective of what salary they are offered. They will be expected to be fit, fast and able to thrill the crowd. What happens if they hit a bad spell or dont perform to expectation?

No doubt there will be some players not resigned there. And who is to say that one or two already signed wont have second thoughts? The pressure at that club will be immense.