front of block 2

It's because most "fans" don't actually really know what is a legal/ legit action/call and what isn't. They get caught up in mob mentality behaviour and can't see the wood from the trees.

I'm not defending some of the calls the refs make, they could also use some additional coaching on reffing properly and having two refs (yes, that old argument) would definitely be a bonus.

Until such time as people learn the rules for themselves and make efforts to watch, learn and understand different types of plays, they will continue to shoot down the ref. Mainly also because it makes them feel more important and worthy because they don't have the privilege of being able to do such a thing in their day job. Power tripping...

Fubar

Clare said:
and having two refs (yes, that old argument) would definitely be a bonus.
Sorry..had to re-read that as i thought you said 2 eyes...made me giggle but seriously..ive seen bats with better eyesight than Darnell!

It's not about poor eyesight. It's about the refs not receiving proper training and having it regularly updated and reinforced. They have become a law unto themselves because there is no structure to the system. Their calls are defined by the fans screams and how much the players are annoying them.

It has been said by many players that the reffing in this league is awful. But its not because the guys are blind, its because they have no guidance and when they have to make split second decisions, they have to stand by them otherwise they look even more foolish. They call what they believe to be the case. Yes, some like the power trip it gives them. Some are too proud to admit their mistakes.

Ultimately, instead of screaming at the refs, the fans need to be screaming (metaphorically or literally, your choice) at the league to fix it. Strength in numbers.

Sorry, to clear that up, I meant the screaming fans go power tripping. I know the refs have successful careers. Fans think they know best and will argue at anything they don't agree with, right or wrong.

I think its often referred to as "McManager" ie someone who has no power but still has a hissy fit at everyone when things don't go their way.

Paul Sullivan

Clare said:
Sorry, to clear that up, I meant the screaming fans go power tripping. I know the refs have successful careers. Fans think they know best and will argue at anything they don't agree with, right or wrong.

I think its often referred to as "McManager" ie someone who has no power but still has a hissy fit at everyone when things don't go their way.
That's why I removed my post. I re-read yours and saw the second possible meaning....

I can't tell you how many times officials have changed their initial calls because Joe Palooka, in seat 4A, yelled at him over the top of his beer. Actually, I take that back, I can tell how many times that's happened in the history of sports world wide. Zero. Zero times. Fan's pay their money to enjoy the game. Officials and players get paid to do a job. Enjoy the game, yell all you want, but realize that you will have ZERO influence on anything that happens during the sporting event. It would be like me coming and screaming at you at work. Entertaining (YES). Effective (No, sadly). But I'd be happy to do it. I'm here all night.

Unfortunately and frustratingly, in this so called professional league, Mr Smith in seat 6B does influence the refs decisions sometimes.

The refs seem scared of rocking the boat and make and change calls based on what the fans are yelling. It shouldn't be that way. But this comes about through lack of training, lack of positive encouragement, lack of putting things right for next time. They think something is right and they run with it, and contort its meaning to suit themselves and the fans.

The maddening thing is when a ref changes his mind based on the fans, and the fans are wrong and the ref was right to start with. Seen that happen.

Which is why fans need to sit down and shut up if they don't know what they're talking about.

Seriously? Nawww....you're yanking my chain. Just for a second I thought you were serious. Professionals would never change a call because some loud mouth drunk yelled. (please tell me you were joking)!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

TheStub

It isn't so much a change of call, but you often see the mood of the crowd influence the officials. I've certainly seen call upgraded because of the reaction of the crowd (a certain playoff hit by a certain Voth on a certain Steeler). All to often we see calls made purely on a reaction - the ref can't see everything but assumes something must have happened.

Remember all the officials are unpaid volunteers (well not paid beyond what calling the game cost them). We have one ref, two linesmen and no video review. Until these things are addressed we remain a joke league.

We place a ton of weight on these guys with minimal investment.

But that main point of this thread - fans scream because they are involved emotionally. Not because they think a call will change, but to vent their spleen.

Seriously.

Example: legit hip check and player hits the deck. It appears none of the officials saw or are 100% sure what happened. Fans jump up screaming for a call. The ref, having not seen the incident properly/at all, calls a tripping pen.... a player
on the floor, hyping up his non existent elbow bump doesn't help matters.

There are many more I have seen where the ref hasn't consulted his linesmen and still made an incorrect call.

Despite the games all being filmed, the League refuses to allow video replay to review incidents. This would eliminate a lot of bad calls.

In fairness, sometimes refs will call certain things to try and disperse niggles and keep the peace but this often makes things worse as they call too hardly for some things and not harsh enough for others. Again, a lack of training issue.

I don't mind spleen venting. I just wish people would at least know what they're talking about before they do it. Half the time I listen to them and they are quite clearly talking mens genitals.

I didn't know they weren't paid!!! OMG!!! No wonder the officiating is, at times, sketchy. Wow! Well, that shed's new light on things. Regarding those that vent...it can be annoying, especially when said fan has had too much to drink. I got stuck sitting in front of a man a few years my senior, missing several teeth and well beyond drunk, who insisted on massaging my shoulders whenever a call went the home teams way and spilling beer down my neck every time things went against the home team. Needless to say I balance well over 300 LBS on the edge of a little plastic seat. Not a pretty picture.

TheStub

Then there is a lack of understanding for rules like Tripping or Hooking in the crowd.

I'm sure there is a core who think motive should be taken into account. An accidental trip is still a trip, but will be argued every time.

We need two refs and then go zero tolerance. The players just don't know what will get called one incident to the next.

Yup. All credit to the guys standing out there week after week getting verbally abused and sometimes not even receiving their travel expenses (as per last seasons screw up).

The reffing budget has been majorly slashed again this year which means no training and no paid staff. No paid staff means they do what they like with little comeback. The "professional" ice hockey league is a mess and the ones in charge have different ideas about things resulting in them not having a zero tolerance approach. And that applies to the wage cap issue too.

Feel free to come and join us at the back of Block 2. You'll then realise that we're not mindless idiots but very knowledgable hockey fans that have a great time every week. Yes, referee baiting is part of the fun ! :lol:

Mr Block 3 Devil is quite right...we're extremely knowledgeable! :D

Quite often, we know we're talking rubbish about opposing players, but it's often targeted at players we know we can get a negative reaction from. Sarich and Neilson are good examples.

I remember us giving the usual 'where's your brother' chant to Sarich only for him to pop the puck straight over the glass for a Devils powerplay :lol: