Forum changes/updates/problems - Changes are coming!

Chris

Administrator
Re: 2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

Samael said:
1. I don't agree, it gives the forum more character and makes the forum "characters" more identifiable.

2. That's fair enough.

3. If this is addressed I will retract my "half arsed forum" remark.

4. It's standard practice to have a code of conduct in online forums. The fact one has been absent for so long and moderation so lacking is the reason I've spoken up after remaining silent for ages. Some of the personal attacks and name calling detract from the conversation, are very cringeworthy and a bad reflection on us as Cardiff fans and also the club.

5. Post count is still active, l've never read steeltalk so l can't make a comparison but a ranking system would be useful, to identify helpful established veteran users of this forum and in fact the game. Also a way of identifying people who are actually IN the Devils organisation and don't just think they are. That would go a long way to removing all the cliquey in-jokes that potential new members would be turned off by. Theres also no "introduce yourself" thread which again is standard on most forums.

6. Thats subjective (re the organisation/graphical presentation). I personally don't have an issue with adverts, in fact I think it's better to have banner adverts than donation begging on the very first page.

7. Seperate sections for EIHL news and Cardiff Devils club news, at the moment its all lumped into one and get's lost in a sea of drivel imo. The fact YOU say its worked well for 8 going on 9 years suggests it's overdue a revision and refresh. The search bar needs moving too and the number index for threads is too small and not in a good place. The free software employed by The cage and purple army keep the page index constantly on screen which is useful, particularly on the ps4 browser.

8. Again the fact that MNL gets the most traffic should be telling you the forum needs work. Also, MNL potentially takes revenue from the club and webcasters but that's a whole can of worms I don't wish to open at this point in time.

Hope this helps.
We'll have to agree to disagree on the avatar front then. Personally I couldn't care less what someones avatar is, i'm far more likely to look at their post and username than need their avatar to tell me what sort of 'character' they are on here.

Forum changes will be happening in the near future, including the implementation of the 'like' feature. We went ahead and purchased the forum software this morning after deciding that you (and possibly Finny - I can't remember content of his post right now but i'll quote at the bottom) were right, it's been 8 years since this version of the forum was kicked into being, we updated the theme a number of years back but it's looking tired.

I haven't changed the content yet, but I will endeavor to get what I can updated today or over the next couple of days.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Where needed myself and James have stepped in and usually found ourselves facing more flak on here and Twitter because people don't like the moderation. I agree that at times things have got slightly out of hand, but that's typically because neither of us have had the time to read every single post on a rapidly evolving topic and then make a judgement call on what to do. With regards to self-moderation, we feel that has worked well and will continue to work well with the forum.

If you want an 'introduce yourself' thread then feel free to start one. Personally I don't think they're needed and most forums I use don't have them. The ones that do have been started by a user who thinks that one is needed, rather than mods. Marking people out as part of the organisation or not has always been an option if they want it, otherwise we decided that keeping things as level as possible was the best way forward. The official accounts that have been created and used over the past 8 years have typically been abandoned fairly quickly. How do you feel that marking these users out is going to remove the 'cliquey in-jokes'? Because I can't see how it would help.

The ranking system will not be coming back, the post counts were reintroduced a number of years back when we implemented some changes behind the scenes. All the ranking system does it create a hierachy which the forum doesn't need. We may choose to remove the public display of post counts again when the new forum goes live.

I agree that it is subjective, but we clearly have different views. The donate button was put onto the site when we had to significantly increase the hosting for the site and myself and James could not afford it at the time. However it has not been mentioned for several years now and we are not 'begging' for donations. With regards to adverts, we agreed to try and avoid them at all costs from the very beginning, we never planned/expected/wanted to make money from the site. We have one advert on MNL because of the help that they have provided to us over a number of years to keep the site running.

The forum layout will not be changing significantly, we will not be introducing sub-forums for different news items. The old Blaze forum (FireAndIce) had this and half the forums were empty for several years or more, another were posted in every 6-12 months and then there were 2-3 forums that were regularly used. We believe the setup we have works well for the number of users we have. Just because YOU think the forum needs subforums doesn't mean it does. Why does the position of the search button need to move? Does it not display well on the browser you are using, because again I don't see the issue when it takes you to a new page?

With regards to MNL getting more traffic than the forum then I can't disagree more. That has always been the case for The Inferno, from the very first version to the current one. MNL attracts fans of other teams who are looking for game details and nothing more. With regards to taking revenue away from the club and webcasters, that has never been the aim but we believe MNL fills a gap; not everyone uses Twitter or Facebook, not everyone wants to pay £8 for a webcast. Those that don't are welcome to look at several text updates a minute, it's not as exciting as watching the game live, or watching the webcast but it's not something we're going to stop because you've raised it as an issue you don't want to talk about 'at this point in time'.

MikeRichards18 said:
Then why mention it?
Don't get me wrong I'm very grateful for the running of MNL as it's handy to keep up to date when out and about or in work, but I would much rather be at the game or watch the webcast than having a brief description of what has happened. I would rather see it with my own eyes as other people see the game differently and I'm sure it would be the same for the majority of people that tune into MNL.
I See MNL as a perfect little stop gap to those who cannot go to the game or get the webcast, it's an extra helping hand by fellow fans to help others and not a pesky financial nuisance to the club.
This pretty much sums up what I have written above. We don't make any money from MNL so we're not exactly profiting ourselves from running it, it's there to fill a gap that people seem to like and enjoy (for the most part) so we will continue to run it now we have a few texters in IAW and at away games. We continue to link to IceTime and their webcasts for home games, and for the opposing teams we face that run a webcast.

Finny said:
I would strongly be against splitting the forum into Devils only and an EIHL section.

The forum has worked very well since it's been around. A couple of tweaks here and there would be nice but nothing major. And you have to remember that this has been provided for us by fans out of their own pocket and time.

If you are really that disappointed by it and think you can do a better job you are more than welcome to start your own forum.
This is the post I was thinking of at the start of this stupidly long post. There will be changes coming with the change of forum software, but nothing too major that will affect the number of forums, subforums or users. Hopefully the changes will make it easier for the forum to display on smartphones and freshen things up.

Electro

I'm not fond of pizza but if Finny's paying, I'm in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vartel

On the topic of forum updates, is it possible to make it more friendly with wide screens? currently when i load it up i am left with 3 inch black bars on each edge of the screen.

Related issue is that MNL on my phone only uses the top half of the screen. Is it possible to make the forum and MNL fill the screen that is being used? Do i need to change any settings?

Chris

Administrator

Vartel said:
On the topic of forum updates, is it possible to make it more friendly with wide screens? currently when i load it up i am left with 3 inch black bars on each edge of the screen.

Related issue is that MNL on my phone only uses the top half of the screen. Is it possible to make the forum and MNL fill the screen that is being used? Do i need to change any settings?
The next version of the forum should be a lot more responsive than this one, so it should look a lot better on widescreen monitors. Obviously we're still messing around with it, but when it goes live we'll see how it works for everyone else!

Not quite sure what might be going on with MNL as that's the first i've heard of a problem like that. Any chance you could take a screenshot and upload somewhere?

James

Administrator
MNL does only fill the top half of the screen on a phone held in portrait. It was written before responsive was really a thing. Works fine if you turn your phone 90 degrees though :). I was planning on updating it over the summer but life got in the way :(

Samael

Thread starter #30
Whoah.......... This looks a 100% better. "Inferno Dark" and the "Default" style are much much better than the old format. Thank you Chris & James for the revision. Now let's see if I can sort out an avatar.....