Forum changes/updates/problems - Changes are coming!

Samael

Thread starter #1
BostonBart22 said:
Earnie said:
Who?
Electro?
BOTH.. :Banana
I'm getting tired of reading comments like this, there are so many regular posters on here who are in their own smug little cliques. You are a bad advert for this forum and more importantly the club. I get that Electro isn't popular here and is labelled a troll or whatever but for gods sake the jibes are boring now.

No apology is made for going off topic either as the mods should be saying this, not a long time forum lurker.

Samael

Thread starter #2
Re: 2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

kingmo19.2 said:
Oh. Sorry Dad!

The problem is, Electro is a bit of a windup merchant, therefore, deserves to be put in his place and corrected on a regular basis! If you don't like it, then just skim over his related posts and the responses - it's not mandatory that you read them !
Likewise, you are under no obligation to read his inflammatory remarks, give him attention and stroke your own ego with childish put downs. As I said previously it's a bad advert for the forum.

Samael

Thread starter #3

Devil May Care said:
Electro said:
If commenting on the shortcomings of both the sport & the IAW is seen as winding people up, then l can only hope that in future there are less issues to comment on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I do not like having to comment on these type of things but Electro is an antagonistic individual who continually puts his head above the parapet and vents his bitterness.

He insulted me not so long ago and never came the apology. Sorry Samuel but he gets what he deserves. It's not flipping hard to conduct yourself nicely on this forum and try and get on with your fellow Devils. I scratch my head when reading his comment why he spends time here! Well there you are.
And by insulting back you are improving the debate how? My ID is Samael btw, not Samuel.

Samael said:
kingmo19.2 said:
Oh. Sorry Dad!

The problem is, Electro is a bit of a windup merchant, therefore, deserves to be put in his place and corrected on a regular basis! If you don't like it, then just skim over his related posts and the responses - it's not mandatory that you read them !
Likewise, you are under no obligation to read his inflammatory remarks, give him attention and stroke your own ego with childish put downs. As I said previously it's a bad advert for the forum.
It's a free forum, free speech (within reason) and if the Mods were upset they would pull the posts.
I like reading his ridiculous posts as I presume to many others because if nothing else they do make me laugh. Everyone is entitled to respond if they wish (that's the purpose of a forum). There is no ego stroking going on - it's a forum! Doh!

Samael

Thread starter #6

And I find your hypocrisy ridiculous. You say it's free speech and yet each time anyone posts anything you or any of the clique here don't agree with it's met with insults and personal attack. Doesnt sound like free speech to me, it looks like petty school yard gang mentality and frankly it's embarassing. The put downs arent even articulate or imaginitive. Anyway this thread shouldnt even be active anymore as offseason is over and it's just been driven off topic.

I suggest you contact the mods and apply for the position of formal message board administrator!

You can then police the forum with your iron fist mentality!

In the meantime, get over yourself and wind your head in!

Why don't you pm each other? I don't give a shit about any of this.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Chris

Administrator

We need to suss out the 'like' feature for phone :(

What danhall76 said anyway :D

Samael

Thread starter #10

kingmo19.2 said:
I suggest you contact the mods and apply for the position of formal message board administrator!

You can then police the forum with your iron fist mentality!

In the meantime, get over yourself and wind your head in!
Case in point right there, the saying is wind your NECK in. The sarcastic, hostile response is exactly what I'm talking about, keep digging Kingmo, keep on digging. The more times you respond in that manner the more you validate my points about this forum being an embarassment and how childish the regulars are. It's also ironic you drag site admin into this too because the format of this forum is very outdated/half arsed which is another reason I don't waste much time reading it, posting on it or engaging with the supposedly well informed hockey fans here. it isnt me that needs to get over myself Kingmo.

Chris

Administrator

So out of interest, if the format is outdated, what would you like to see added to the forum?

Myself and James are all ears, we can't promise anything will be implemented but we'll listen to your comments.

Samael

Thread starter #12

Thanks for asking Chris. The maximum memory size for avatars is really stingy, there isnt a "....... likes this post option" The away fans information is out of date, there arent any forum rules/code of conduct guidance notes anywhere, the faq refers to a ranking system but that seems to be awol..... I could go on but as I dont have the time or expertise to implement changes like this I don't expect you guys do either. I regularly lurk on the cage forums and the whole layout seems far more organised and contemporary. I guess the format/presentation arent really that important to a lot of the regulars here as they seem to post from smart phones but I either use a laptop or the browser on my ps4 and the inferno looks ugly and old fashioned on both I'm afraid.

Finny

Chris said:
So out of interest, if the format is outdated, what would you like to see added to the forum?

Myself and James are all ears, we can't promise anything will be implemented but we'll listen to your comments.
Free pizza.

Chris

Administrator

Samael said:
Thanks for asking Chris. The maximum memory size for avatars is really stingy, there isnt a "....... likes this post option" The away fans information is out of date, there arent any forum rules/code of conduct guidance notes anywhere, the faq refers to a ranking system but that seems to be awol..... I could go on but as I dont have the time or expertise to implement changes like this I don't expect you guys do either. I regularly lurk on the cage forums and the whole layout seems far more organised and contemporary. I guess the format/presentation arent really that important to a lot of the regulars here as they seem to post from smart phones but I either use a laptop or the browser on my ps4 and the inferno looks ugly and old fashioned on both I'm afraid.
1. Avatars don't need to be any bigger, they're not supposed to overwhelm the forum, the content of posts is more important surely?

2. We are looking into the 'like' feature, implementing it for phpbb with the current theme we have has not been successful. We can't justify the cost of all new forum software for the feature at this point in time, but we still looking for a 100% working addon for phpBB.

3. The away fans section was something I had entirely forgotten about. I'll try and get that updated along with the other pages on the frontpage.

4. Does there need to be a specific post for rules/guidance? We had one for the first few years, but for the last 5 or so the forum has largely been self-moderating. What would the rules and guidance help you with, or what do you want clarified? (Because you're the only person to ask about it)

5. The ranking system was disabled from the very start with this version of The-Inferno, when we also disabled post counts. Do you want a ranking system such as SteelTalk/StalinTalk uses and if so why? We don't feel that it is needed or has ever been needed.

6. I think The Cage looks extremely dated, I don't like the adverts and I don't particularly like the layout. But each to their own, they're using free software that possibly gives them more freedom in certain things, but also results in adverts, although I think you can pay to avoid them.

7. What do you think could do with more organisation on here? There are 4 main forums and that seems to have worked well for 8 years going on 9. What needs to be made clearer?

8. We have discussed giving both MNL and the forum a refresh, but being that it will take a considerable amount of time, almost entirely of which James would have to undertake it's not something that's likely to change particularly soon. MNL is the priority and there will be some more changes to that coming, possibly more to the important bits behind the scenes but as that is where the majority of traffic for the site arrives that is the current plan.

Samael

Thread starter #16

1. I don't agree, it gives the forum more character and makes the forum "characters" more identifiable.

2. That's fair enough.

3. If this is addressed I will retract my "half arsed forum" remark.

4. It's standard practice to have a code of conduct in online forums. The fact one has been absent for so long and moderation so lacking is the reason I've spoken up after remaining silent for ages. Some of the personal attacks and name calling detract from the conversation, are very cringeworthy and a bad reflection on us as Cardiff fans and also the club.

5. Post count is still active, l've never read steeltalk so l can't make a comparison but a ranking system would be useful, to identify helpful established veteran users of this forum and in fact the game. Also a way of identifying people who are actually IN the Devils organisation and don't just think they are. That would go a long way to removing all the cliquey in-jokes that potential new members would be turned off by. Theres also no "introduce yourself" thread which again is standard on most forums.

6. Thats subjective (re the organisation/graphical presentation). I personally don't have an issue with adverts, in fact I think it's better to have banner adverts than donation begging on the very first page.

7. Seperate sections for EIHL news and Cardiff Devils club news, at the moment its all lumped into one and get's lost in a sea of drivel imo. The fact YOU say its worked well for 8 going on 9 years suggests it's overdue a revision and refresh. The search bar needs moving too and the number index for threads is too small and not in a good place. The free software employed by The cage and purple army keep the page index constantly on screen which is useful, particularly on the ps4 browser.

8. Again the fact that MNL gets the most traffic should be telling you the forum needs work. Also, MNL potentially takes revenue from the club and webcasters but that's a whole can of worms I don't wish to open at this point in time.

Hope this helps.

Samael

Thread starter #17

terry hunt said:
Obviously time to take over or move on samael
It will most likely be the latter, which is a shame, but until the "old guard" here buck their ideas up and drop the unattractive arrogance this forum will remain a small exclusive club. The Devils organisation is evolving, growing and entering a new era, as is the league, but some people here still think its 1996.

MNL potentially takes revenue from the club and webcasters but that's a whole can of worms I don't wish to open at this point in time.
Then why mention it?
Don't get me wrong I'm very grateful for the running of MNL as it's handy to keep up to date when out and about or in work, but I would much rather be at the game or watch the webcast than having a brief description of what has happened. I would rather see it with my own eyes as other people see the game differently and I'm sure it would be the same for the majority of people that tune into MNL.
I See MNL as a perfect little stop gap to those who cannot go to the game or get the webcast, it's an extra helping hand by fellow fans to help others and not a pesky financial nuisance to the club.

Finny

I would strongly be against splitting the forum into Devils only and an EIHL section.

The forum has worked very well since it's been around. A couple of tweaks here and there would be nice but nothing major. And you have to remember that this has been provided for us by fans out of their own pocket and time.

If you are really that disappointed by it and think you can do a better job you are more than welcome to start your own forum.