Flyers Vs Devils - League - 7th Nov 21

Dupont has taken most of the flack on here, but the truth is when we have played at our worst, he's been out injured. When he was playing at the start of the year, we were playing better and he was our leading point scorer in the Challenge Cup.

The problem is that at the moment, they seem to play as individuals rather than a team. So it's not as easy as getting a a player or two in and our problems are solved. Teams seemed to have worked us out, and so it requires a tactical rethink to be successful. I would personally rather do that with players that are already settled here, and if one new player is needed for the final piece of the jigsaw then then let's get him. But these players have not turned bad overnight.

We used to have a slump around this time every year with Lordo, and thank goodness he turned it around every time. Skalde's inexperience in this league might take him a bit more time to work it out, as it did in Lord's early years, but I'm hopeful we will turn it around soon.
The problem with this is that Skalde has signed this team to play a fast attacking ‘run and gun’ style of hockey.
This clearly isn’t working so how do you get a bunch of 5ft something forwards to play a grinding ‘dump and chase’ style?
There isn’t just one piece missing from the jigsaw, we don’t have the picture on the box to know what the jigsaw looks like!
A bit tongue in cheek I know but you get the picture. Or maybe you don’t!!

Mazzoak

How is then that cov nottingh and sheffield then isnt affected. Players coming here needed a work permit anyhow before britexit. Please take the politics out.
How do you know their not ?

My comment was one of several possible factors, look around Brexit is negatively impacting the U.K. thats undeniable. l’ve made reference to the hundreds of thousands of people who‘ve returned to their countries, you only have to look at the numbers coming into the U.K. to see it’s a dramatic drop, you think that’s not Brexit, maybe it’s the weather, maybe less players want to come also. Not mentioned anything to do with work permits.

Mazzoak

The problem with this is that Skalde has signed this team to play a fast attacking ‘run and gun’ style of hockey.
This clearly isn’t working so how do you get a bunch of 5ft something forwards to play a grinding ‘dump and chase’ style?
There isn’t just one piece missing from the jigsaw, we don’t have the picture on the box to know what the jigsaw looks like!
A bit tongue in cheek I know but you get the picture. Or maybe you don’t!!
Steve King said at the beginning of the season this was a risk, not a dead cert, no guarantee. So it’s not a complete mess, the risk was known and approved. What hasn’t happened yet is time........

doron

How do you know their not ?

My comment was one of several possible factors, look around Brexit is negatively impacting the U.K. thats undeniable. l’ve made reference to the hundreds of thousands of people who‘ve returned to their countries, you only have to look at the numbers coming into the U.K. to see it’s a dramatic drop, you think that’s not Brexit, maybe it’s the weather, maybe less players want to come also. Not mentioned anything to do with work permits.
Mazzoak knock it off with the Brexit crap. nobody cares about your politics.

Yes, SK did say at the Calgary Press Conference that this was a risk but time marches on and October has turned into November and whilst you don’t win any trophies in November you sure as hell can lose them.
My point still stands though, how do you get a bunch of 5ft something speedy flair forwards to play a safer grinding dump and chase style of hockey?

Devils86

Of course statistics don't show the whole story and they can be used to evidence any position but I've taken a look this morning at the +\- across the roster and some other choice stats.

Stats tell a story that I think we have picked up on: offensive D-men have not started the league season yet (Register and BOC have 3 points between them in 7 league games); and our lower line have struggled (+\- for the likes of Davies, Lammon (both -3) and DuPont (-4)); the D throwing up rushes means that Mac's current GAA is north of 2, meaning obviously that we need to be scoring 3 to get anywhere and at the moment that doesn't look like happening!

(Nb. Above +\- will include PK which will affect Davies's numbers)

As I said above, stats aren't everything. However I wonder whether breaking up that 3rd line would help? The last few matches we've seen Waller and Dugs line up with Lammon or Davies...seems that line doesn't have the big character on it that MM brought last season for example.

Waller has improved from being higher up the lines, all the others could do a job higher up individually. Just seems that by sticking them all together that they aren't as effective at present.

Maybe....maybe not.

Oddly, didn't think Cole Sandford would be at -4 on the +\-