Flyers Vs Devils - League - 7th Nov 21

matbur

I'm not sure what the reason is for the change in media output but typically the organisation have done a good job in producing their own content.

I think you also have to consider whether the Devils gets enough media coverage. I don't get the Echo, what's coverage like in there? BBC Wales does give some coverage (albeit minimal) and coverage in Wales Online in scarce.

I cover the team for Dai-Sport but try and avoid match reports/previews as it duplicates what's already out there. I am trying to focus more on balanced opinion pieces, but I can certainly reach out to TK (who is generally very helpful in my experience) and try and get more written content with Jarrod and the players.

Hedd Wyn John

I think we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Social Media has been very poor since Fie left in my opinion. If there isn’t a plan to replace her due to finances then fair enough. Shame tho
I agree Fie was good on social media, though she once emailed me a spreadsheet with all the players phone numbers on by mistake. I presume she sent it to the wrong person. Good thing I'm not one for prank phone calls. I could give Joey martin a ring to see if he'll come back. You never know lol

moggy#9

I agree Fie was good on social media, though she once emailed me a spreadsheet with all the players phone numbers on by mistake. I presume she sent it to the wrong person. Good thing I'm not one for prank phone calls. I could give Joey martin a ring to see if he'll come back. You never know lol
In the summer they managed to release details of a signing before the announcement time. I guess when you're under pressure these things happen sometimes.

Mazzoak

Can you ask him what his objectives were at the start of the season in terms of league position etc without getting the phrase “a competitive team”? Be great to understand in more detail what a competitor team actually means. Top 2? Top 4? Decent playoff run?

Just interested to know if this season has been written off as some “baseless” “commentators” have said on here.
Steve answered that question in his response, I’d take that as his continued answer to the same question.

Every team tries to win, that doesn’t mean that’s their intention. Fife, Clan all enter this competition wanting to win, what you seem to be missing is sport is a business, fans pay to watch a game, every fan I’ve ever meet is perfectly content to watch in the hope that “this year will be theirs” even if the top teams have bigger attendance levels, bigger budgets, better players. Owners are happy to spend a % of that income on players, coaches or in the case of motor sports on Engines, developments etc etc. Pretty sure Haas wants to win every F1 GP and every fan wants their driver to beat Mercedes, Red Bull & Ferrari and sometimes they do. In the board room, the owners & experts in the sport are well aware that the reality of that success is unlikely to happen, that doesn’t mean they stop because whilst Haas or Fife or Clan or Coventr isn’t winning Championships there still making money, that is the main motivation for owning and running any sports team. The Championships, Trophies are bonuses, the icing on the cake, it ain’t the bread & butter......

Just the opinion of a baseless Commentator to a sports fan......:)

Last edited:

Mazzoak

A new team under difficult business circumstances run by a new coach I'm comfortable with where we are at the moment. The seasons not over, but there's more risk of us not having a season than worrying about this.

Though last weekend was a tough one due to it being against a diminished team with it's back against the wall and what I thought was the weakest team in the league. I still think we were the better team in both games and the opposition coaches reactions clearly indicated that in their interviews, "stars were aligned", was one of the coaches comments.

Why be the greatest critics, when we should be the best fans in the league. We know Todd and the owners will do their best to makesure our team is entertaining and winning.
Bang on.

Being a fan is so much more than demanding winning. I don’t get the “l don’t mind loosing as long as we fight”. Every professional player I've ever met is beyond competitive, the effort to train, take the knocks, work through the pain it’s an obsessive disorder, that is why their professionals, which is why it’s so infuriating that some believe that a loss or bad game is down to them not trying, it’s utter rubbish. Their there biggest critics, no player wants to look like that, even players want to earn the money, being poor means their unlikely too. Their agent‘s, future clubs all take into account performance. Although there are instances when a player or team has off ice issues, breakdowns in club/player relationships etc. I don’t for one minute believe we’ve got big changing room issues, maybe one or two aren’t settling into the U.K. or the league. These can and will be sorted by the club, the team, it takes more time than some entitled fans want, that’s their issue to get over, not the clubs.

Mazzoak

Compared to previous years the Devils off ice staffing has been cut back quite a bit. They're doing a million different things to make sure day to day hockey operations are running, tickets, merch etc. I don't think there's the capacity there to do all the social media content they'd like to. It's about priorities & just getting hockey back is the main focus - in my view.
You‘d think some here have been asleep for the past 19 months..........honestly staff have had to move on in order to pay their bills, not every business could afford to continue Furloughing staff, even at 80% people needed to earn their full 100% wage.

Chris

Administrator
On the SM front, I genuinely think the Q&A content that this site used to produce helped build some of the excitement for the new players coming in, and the returning ones. We probably got away with asking some questions that the official accounts couldn't as well, such as the last interview we did with Bowns.

But then we were told we weren't allowed to speak to any of the players and I don't think anything the club have done has really replaced that content.

E.D.S.

Steve answered that question in his response, I’d take that as his continued answer to the same question.

Every team tries to win, that doesn’t mean that’s their intention. Fife, Clan all enter this competition wanting to win, what you seem to be missing is sport is a business, fans pay to watch a game, every fan I’ve ever meet is perfectly content to watch in the hope that “this year will be theirs” even if the top teams have bigger attendance levels, bigger budgets, better players. Owners are happy to spend a % of that income on players, coaches or in the case of motor sports on Engines, developments etc etc. Pretty sure Haas wants to win every F1 GP and every fan wants their driver to beat Mercedes, Red Bull & Ferrari and sometimes they do. In the board room, the owners & experts in the sport are well aware that the reality of that success is unlikely to happen, that doesn’t mean they stop because whilst Haas or Fife or Clan or Coventr isn’t winning Championships there still making money, that is the main motivation for owning and running any sports team. The Championships, Trophies are bonuses, the icing on the cake, it ain’t the bread & butter......

Just the opinion of a baseless Commentator to a sports fan......:)
Steve didn’t answer that in his response.

There’s so much to pull apart in your post. It really isn’t worth it. You couldn’t be wider of the mark if you tried.
One point I will challenge, just for kicks is your impressive knowledge of why people own clubs. Making money is the main motivation for running any sports team.” You’ve not been around British hockey long have you?
In other sports…. Those people that own clubs - FI and Premier League - are so incredibly rich their motivations for owning a team are most definitely not financial.
Let me take you into the mindset of a championship and league one club where I have played and know first hand that making money isn’t the driver. It’s a bonus. They make ends meet, they seldom make money. As someone who has been involved in sponsoring lower league teams in football and rugby - the boardroom is constantly full of debate around making ends meet. The trophies and that FA Cup run are not an icing on the cake. It’s why owners, own clubs.

You’re talking about things you have zero knowledge of but instead of passing it off as an opinion, like most humble posters do on here, you have the ego to pass it off as fact, whilst dismissing others. It’s getting a tad embarrassing but no less amusing. Keep it up. You crack me up.

Oh and thanks for pointing out what “I’m missing” with professional sport. Let me know if you’d like to know anymore.

Last edited:

Mazzoak

There’s so much to pull apart in your post. It really isn’t worth it. You couldn’t be wider of the mark if you tried.
One point I will challenge, just for kicks is your impressive knowledge of why people own clubs. Making money is the main motivation for running any sports team.” You’ve not been around British hockey long have you?
In other sports…. Those people that own clubs - FI and Premier League - are so incredibly rich their motivations for owning a team are most definitely not financial.
Let me take you into the mindset of a championship and league one club where I have played and know first hand that making money isn’t the driver. It’s a bonus. They make ends meet, they seldom make money. As someone who has been involved in sponsoring lower league teams in football and rugby - the boardroom is constantly full of debate around making ends meet. The trophies and that FA Cup run are not an icing on the cake. It’s why owners, own clubs.

You’re talking about things you have zero knowledge of but instead of passing it off as an opinion, like most humble posters do on here, you have the ego to pass it off as fact, whilst dismissing others. It’s getting a tad embarrassing but no less amusing. Keep it up. You crack me up.

Oh and thanks for pointing out what “I’m missing” with professional sport. Let me know if you’d like to know anymore.
I guess we’ll agree to disagree then.

terry hunt

You have shown him your hand now