Fans Forum - Mon 31st May

Sheincar

Ger-Devils said:
Forgot to add that when I spoke to G after the forum, he mentioned Coventry home and away friendly
If true that's really disappointing. Will see them enough during the season as it is. Would be great to see someone different for a change.

Kipper

TheDevilTorn said:
Obviously I didnt think Dorian Smith would play on our 3rd line, just couldn't think who else it could be :lol:

I dont know who Sam Smith is, I'm guessing a young local lad with bags of potential ;)
Bags of potential. You could say that!! Sam has been playing in the North America school system for the last 3 years.He is a lovely lad with a great attitude and could develop into a very special player.He has got speed,skill, aggession and size and could do a great job as 9th/10th forward this season depending on where G sees him fitting in to his plans.

DevilDom

Ger-Devils said:
Forgot to add that when I spoke to G after the forum, he mentioned Coventry home and away friendly
Everything sounded really very positive, until I read this! I'd rather we played some EPL teams than Coventry twice again. Ah well, i'm sure there is a very good reason for it and someone is bound to tell us..............................

Ger-Devils

I'm sure the club will announce something. All the info I could get out of him really, asked about players coming in early but his hands are tied at the moment it seems.

Gazza272

samidevils said:
Coventry!!!! We're not going to see them much this season!! :roll:

How hard is it to arrange an European team visit? Genuine Question.

I dont know i guess it dependso n the european teams mandate, if you invite european teams over your probably going to have to pay for them to stay here, if they are coming over for a tour you just got to hope they are staying in the south rather than the north to arrange it.

Ger-Devils said:
Decent turnout, nice place to have it. Just a few points, couldn't always hear with the rowdy little kid in the bar behind us
Regan spoke about the rink and it's now down to 3 contractors to build the rink, Devils still iinvolved and are putting their business plan together. 22 contractors applied for the build. Matt Burge is off home to Australia.

G and Franny spoke about the team, one 1stline centre and 2 d Men. Looking to go more offensive on our D but still have the toughness. More or less as soon as pressure off in the D, move the puck very quickly to counter attack. They have the funds in place for them. Symonds as 6th D man

3rd line - Brit could be from a few players, Davies, Smith, Fisher.

Also trying to tempt Myers back from the US it seems.

Also a thing for Devils season ticket holders - discount in brains pubs and maybe looking at the Wharf as the new base for after games etc - Maybe 1st pint free or some discount etc. Also working on more companies to do offers

that wasnt my little ankle biter he was to obbsessed with the stairs, never caught a second of what went on :lol:

Ger-Devils

floridadevil said:
Ger-Devils said:
Decent turnout, nice place to have it. Just a few points, couldn't always hear with the rowdy little kid in the bar behind us
Regan spoke about the rink and it's now down to 3 contractors to build the rink, Devils still iinvolved and are putting their business plan together. 22 contractors applied for the build. Matt Burge is off home to Australia.

G and Franny spoke about the team, one 1stline centre and 2 d Men. Looking to go more offensive on our D but still have the toughness. More or less as soon as pressure off in the D, move the puck very quickly to counter attack. They have the funds in place for them. Symonds as 6th D man

3rd line - Brit could be from a few players, Davies, Smith, Fisher.

Also trying to tempt Myers back from the US it seems.

Also a thing for Devils season ticket holders - discount in brains pubs and maybe looking at the Wharf as the new base for after games etc - Maybe 1st pint free or some discount etc. Also working on more companies to do offers

that wasnt my little ankle biter he was to obbsessed with the stairs, never caught a second of what went on :lol:
Haha I could hear him shouting something at times which was funny. Was it a funny 5 minutes like a cat/dog who just constantly run around? Haha

Finny

Thread starter #51
samidevils said:
Coventry!!!! We're not going to see them much this season!! :roll:

How hard is it to arrange an European team visit? Genuine Question.
My guess would be cost. Usually when we play a european team it is because they are on a british tour. I think Epinal also played Basingstoke and one other EIHL team (Coventry/Nottingham?).

I doubt any European team would be willing to come across for just one game as it would cost them too much. And I can't see the Devils wanting to pay for it all.

Perhaps it is something that the EIHL should look into - organising for one or two European teams to come and do a quick tour enabling teams to get some good pre-season games in.

I too will be a bit disappointed with Coventry as we play them enough over the season. Although at least we can be sure it won't be too 'friendly'.

Games against EPL teams are a possibility - but they would have to be played at 50% effort or with less imports because we would destroy them. Perhaps call up some of the ENL guys and play away in Basingstoke to see if there are a couple of local lads good enough to get a chance this season.
Though one problem might be that I think the EPL season starts the end of September - by which time we are already playing proper games.

One solution would be to have the HockeyFest as a pre-season competition, and then the Challenge Cup group games all in a row before the league season starts. Like we used to with the Autumn Cup.

Jones72

Personally I'd rather a challenge game against another EIHL team than EPL...no offence but playing a team of a lower standard is surely going to be of less value to us?

Coventry? I don't like them, personally, but I'd rather them than a game where we only ice a subset of our players.

Mooney#16

I do think there is something to having a game against a couple of EPL teams first maybe Guildford and Basingstoke before a possible one against Coventry.

To start the season you want your offence and scorers to be firing straight from the off and not be a couple of weeks in with the team searching for goals. I appreciate that the EPL is a slightly lesser standard but to beat these teams you need Dmen to move the puck quickly and your forwards to be skating hard and getting some quality shots off. If nearly all the forwards have found the back off the net by the time the season commences even against lesser teams they surely will have some level of confidence in there scoring capabilities and the D will have had the chance to have some skating and passing practise without the tough big hitting to worry about.

Genuine question. Is beating Guildford 10-5 better than loosing to Coventry 2-0 in a preseason game. I would have to say for pre season purposes it might be.

Finny

Thread starter #54
I'm not sure, as an easy win can mean the players are too relaxed. I remember in the past we used to start off with some lower league teams - beat them easily and then lose the first couple of competitive games. Afterwards some of the newer players admitted they didn't realise the different between the lower league teams and the team in the same league would be such a big jump.

wildthing74

As a fan I would much prefer to see a different team even if it is only a top end EPL team such as Guildford.
I think they would play with intensity to match the higher level players of the Elite league and certainly would be more fun than 2 Elite teams hardly breaking sweat saving themselves for the league season.
For various reasons we have started poorly in the league over the last few years and mainly down to poor prep on our part and lack of icetime,players not being in etc.
I am much more likely to spend what is likely to £40-50 for my family of 4 to see a different team than paying to watch Coventry.My season ticket costs over £850 already and will see enough of the Elite teams for the rest of the year.

Mooney#16

One day we're actually going to agree on something Finny i'm sure of it. We'll probably miss it though disagreeing on which day it actually was.

Still next topic. Sprouts at christmas. Yes or no.