End Of An Amazing Year

SteveKing

Thread starter #1
I didn't want to come on the Inferno right away after our loss on Sunday. Amazing how feelings can change just a day or two after such a painful experience. So now that we've all had some time to compose and reflect, I'd like to talk about a few things that I learned this year and what the future might hold for the Devils.

- I learned that we walked into the best fan base in the EIHL by a staggering margin. The support that you all gave the Devils at home fixtures, at away fixtures, at special events, for charity endeavors, here on the Inferno...the list goes on. We've all been shocked and humbled by the knowledge and the passion that exists in Cardiff for the great game of hockey and for the Devils in particular.

- I learned that the Kelman/Franny/Lord management team is probably even better than I could have imagined. With a matter of a few weeks and a much smaller budget than the other teams in our conference, those three men put together a team that entertained us all year, looked like the class of the league for extended periods of the season and most importantly, delivered a championship trophy to Cardiff. That experience was one of the highlights of my life and one that I will never forget.

- I learned that while the season as a whole was a success, we still have some work to do. I want to make sure that we are delivering the best on-ice product possible to our fans. The good news is that word has spread around the league and even in other leagues that Cardiff is a tremendous place to play. Several of our players have told me that in their years of pro hockey, this was the best situation they've ever had...and that's even though they had a glorified hallway for a locker room!

So what's next? I know that many of you have been waiting for an update on the rink. As with most transactions of that magnitude, things are moving far slower than I had hoped but that is no slight on Greenbank. They are doing everything asked of them and we remain hopeful that a deal can be worked out between Greenbank, Town Council and ourselves so that the arena is in good hands. I really don't have a time frame on that but our interest remains high.

As for player signings, I can tell you that our top priority is to bring back the nucleus of the team that brought so much joy to all of us this year. KelFranLord will take care of that and as a fan, I'm hoping that they can get things done with many of them in short order. They certainly have the owner's support to do that. I also think that we can upgrade the roster at the same time. There will always be some attrition from people retiring or moving to a different league and I'm hopeful that any open spots can be filled with players capable of making an impact. Having only half a season of revenue from the new arena is unfortunate but certainly our player budget will be able to expand from last year. Making promises on the type of players is obviously not good practice but our singular goal is to improve the team and win championships.

Long post so I'll end it there but I'd just like to once again thank all of you for making this just a magical year for me, Brian, Craig and Kelly. We are all completely addicted to all things Devils (just ask our very understanding wives!) and we just can't wait for next season.

All the best,

Steve

wildthing74

You know full well what you guys mean to us and what you have given us. All we want is to support our beloved team and have leadership from management/owners you share our passion and we have that a thousand times and more.

I never dreamed we would see the buzz back in our city as fast as you have enabled that to come back and to be honest I think it's even better than when this city was discovering hockey for the first time and fell in love with the sport

It feels strange not feeling too sad about not making playoffs as that would usually ruin my summer but this summer is different as we know we have a great future again and that amazing day in Sheffield just 3 weeks ago will be eclipsed by bigger and better things thanks to you guys and the people you have entrusted to run the club.

What we learned this season as a fanbase is that hockey is fun again.Strip away the politics & people only in it for themselves and you are left with a great sport being supported by great people top to bottom.And wether you are the club's biggest sponsor or a guy coming to his first game you are all equally welcome.Sadly that had been alien to us for too long.

Thank you boys

SteveKing said:
I didn't want to come on the Inferno right away after our loss on Sunday. Amazing how feelings can change just a day or two after such a painful experience. So now that we've all had some time to compose and reflect, I'd like to talk about a few things that I learned this year and what the future might hold for the Devils.

- I learned that we walked into the best fan base in the EIHL by a staggering margin. The support that you all gave the Devils at home fixtures, at away fixtures, at special events, for charity endeavors, here on the Inferno...the list goes on. We've all been shocked and humbled by the knowledge and the passion that exists in Cardiff for the great game of hockey and for the Devils in particular.

- I learned that the Kelman/Franny/Lord management team is probably even better than I could have imagined. With a matter of a few weeks and a much smaller budget than the other teams in our conference, those three men put together a team that entertained us all year, looked like the class of the league for extended periods of the season and most importantly, delivered a championship trophy to Cardiff. That experience was one of the highlights of my life and one that I will never forget.

- I learned that while the season as a whole was a success, we still have some work to do. I want to make sure that we are delivering the best on-ice product possible to our fans. The good news is that word has spread around the league and even in other leagues that Cardiff is a tremendous place to play. Several of our players have told me that in their years of pro hockey, this was the best situation they've ever had...and that's even though they had a glorified hallway for a locker room!

So what's next? I know that many of you have been waiting for an update on the rink. As with most transactions of that magnitude, things are moving far slower than I had hoped but that is no slight on Greenbank. They are doing everything asked of them and we remain hopeful that a deal can be worked out between Greenbank, Town Council and ourselves so that the arena is in good hands. I really don't have a time frame on that but our interest remains high.

As for player signings, I can tell you that our top priority is to bring back the nucleus of the team that brought so much joy to all of us this year. KelFranLord will take care of that and as a fan, I'm hoping that they can get things done with many of them in short order. They certainly have the owner's support to do that. I also think that we can upgrade the roster at the same time. There will always be some attrition from people retiring or moving to a different league and I'm hopeful that any open spots can be filled with players capable of making an impact. Having only half a season of revenue from the new arena is unfortunate but certainly our player budget will be able to expand from last year. Making promises on the type of players is obviously not good practice but our singular goal is to improve the team and win championships.

Long post so I'll end it there but I'd just like to once again thank all of you for making this just a magical year for me, Brian, Craig and Kelly. We are all completely addicted to all things Devils (just ask our very understanding wives!) and we just can't wait for next season.

All the best,

Steve
It's quite difficult to know what to Say to all of that. I've followed the Devils for 28 years and we have never had an owner like you Steve who cares! I have to say I have witnessed the most exciting hockey I have ever seen a Devils side play this season. All I will now say, It's great to know this GREAT hockey club is in safe hands now!!!

Just one other thing I would like to add. I have always felt the family atmosphere that is so evident in our hockey club is sometimes quite remarkable. I have never taken for granted the belonging to a jersey, which grand parents to tiny grandchildren and everyone in the middle hold so dearly, and with the camaraderie that it brings. we have welcomed many new fans to our family this year, and I'm sure there will be many, many more next season. With owners that we have now, I am so proud to be a Devil!

pjj365

Will there be more fans next season - oh yes.

Out of our drinking group of 6 to 8 people one was dimissive of the Devils even though 2 of us have been praising the Devils all season. After all he lived in Calgary for 10 years, his children played school hockey - what could be better. We got him to the last 2 home games of the season - his season ticket form is in.

Not only that 2 more forms are being downloaded to apply for season tickets yet they have never been to a hockey game. Cardiffians to their core and disalussioned with soccer and rugby they want an exciting team to support. That is what the Devils are becoming, that is what Steve and the others have brought to Cardiff

The future is bright - thank you Steve & co.

Koop11

A very welcome post Mr King. The fans of this club are very thankful indeed to you all for bringing happy hockey days back to this fantastic club.

It’s encouraging to read that discussions are still ongoing with respect to the new arena. Likewise, despite a delay in moving to the new home, it’s exciting to read that the player budget will be able to expand from last year. What Lord, Franny and Kelman have done with a mid table budget is remarkable. It’s scary to think what they will be able to deliver with more. That said, the pressure will be on them this time around. Their characters and professionalism suggest they will be able to manage this fine.

As Jonathan has already said, usually I’d be gutted not to make the playoffs but I agree that this time around the excitement of our future means it’s not such a big deal. This season already delivered beyond my expectations so playoff finals qualification was simply a bonus.

I will enjoy the off season until about July at which point I will itch for the new season to start. Exciting times ahead of us.

mazza03

Thank you Steve and co, last year after 26 year I decided enough was enough and I wasn't going to renew my ST, my daughter persuaded me too and boy was I glad. The fun and excitement is back in hockey and it's all down to a great bunch of guys, the four of you, Lordo, Franny and Tod, Tod makes game night noisy and fun.

Thank you again and see you next season. :Banana :pickle

Wannabe2

It was a natural feeling to be gutted we didn't make the play-offs, but when you put it in context to what we have achieved in 1season it's incredibly minor, now none of us would have said that in previous years, certainly not me. It's really wonderful to be able to make that statement and to believe it. Due to a very close knit wonderful bunch of people we have not only had a LUSH season, we have many many more exciting times to come, and how heartwarming is that. Devils fans have only ever wanted one thing, and we are united in this, we have only ever wanted to have owners, that care for our club the way we the fans care, now unfortunately in life that's a tall order, unless one of us guys win the Lottery. There's a saying in life that once you are rock bottom, the only way is up,enter the Welsh/Canadian connection, a group of genuine,caring, hockey loving people who care for our club as much as us, I am still waiting to wake up and realise it was just a wonderful dream. But the fact is its real, and for that from the bottom of my heart I thank each and everyone of you. Myself along with many others have met and known every owner the Devils have had, and never have we had the privilege to meet and welcome the present owners we have.this amazing group of people are by far the best thing that has ever happened to our great club, and we can never thank these guys enough. So it's onwards and upwards now for us all, hope everyone has a great summer the future looks mighty fine in Down Town Cardiff
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

DevilDom

Since I started following the Devils I've always wondered what it would be like if the passion of the often fractured groups of supporters could be united and matched by an ownership that believed in the potential of the club and had the passion to deliver it. This season has starting to unlock that huge potential. There has been no or very little moaning or infighting amongst fans and we have united behind a team and ownership that delivered exactly what was promised - exciting, gritty hockey. We even had the added bonus of a trophy!

This season has far exceeded my expectations and the rest of the league must be getting worried about what can be achieved in the forthcoming years for the Devils. My love for hockey and the Devils is back with a bang and the "thing" my boy and I do together is no longer at risk of being taken away from me. Hell, I've even got my wife and daughter coming to games now!

Thank you Steve, Craig, Brian, Kelly, Todd, Lordo, and everyone else who has made this possible. I already can't wait for the new season to start.

Pleximan

Thank you Steve and the guys for investing in this great hockey club. Your message was great to read, we all know that the Devils are in safe hands. A disappointing end to the season but as you say we perhaps all needed a little time for reflection and to take in what we achieved this season......A trophy!

For me though, the end of our season was defined by the 0-6 home defeat by Sheffield, of course the scoreline itself was almost irrelevant but the loss of those 2 big points and Sheffield taking them for a 4 point swing in the wrong direction ultimately holed us below the waterline. That's where the league really was lost. A home win there and we could have all been talking about finishing top right now.
Still, a great season nonetheless and it's already exciting thinking about us progressing again. I do love the off season as well for the buzz and excitement of player signings, existing players as well as new additions and I have no doubt that our roster will be even more powerful next season.

I have been watching the Devils since 1989 and I must say that this season has massively re-ignited my passion for the Devils.

Thank you Steve and to Mr Parker, Hughes, Shostak, you guys have invested into this great club and we are ALL proud to have you with us. We are all together as one solid club and the future is exciting.

My humble thanks.
Simon

Finny

This time last year I was completely out of love with the sport. I paid no attention to the playoffs (all I know is that the Sheffield Devils won them) and questioned if I would ever go to another game in Cardiff.

12 months on and my passion for the club has never been higher. Yes it finished on a low note but when you look back at where we were it's been a remarkable season. Before Steve and co took over we were facing a season where the season ticket money was being used to pay off the previous season's debts - players publically not wanting to return and other being announced to keep fans happy when they had no plans to actually return.

Our hopes for the season were to finish top 8 - assuming we would be able to actually finish the season with the budget we were going to get.

And then of course in that whirlwind of a June/July we had new owners, a new General Manager, a new Director of Hockey, a new Player-Coach and almost an entirely new team signed up in about 5 weeks. It would be interesting to see if we had a thread on our pre-season hopes because mine were:

-Top 4 finish in the league.
-Top 4 finish in the Conference
-Semi-Finals of the Challenge Cup
-Qualifying for the Playoffs.

Yes we failed to qualify for the playoffs but we absolutely smashed the other three. We were one regulation win from winning the league, one regulation win from winning the conference. Oh , and did anyone mention we won the Challenge Cup in the un-neutral venue of Sheffield?

I was delighted to hear Todd say in the Awards Night that he told the players that they have restored the passion to the club. Nothing could describe the past 9 months better. I have that same tingly excitement that I had when I was a kid. With the new arena coming closer to completion we are on the verge of being back to where we were in the mid 90s as THE CLUB in British Ice Hockey. The club who players wanted to play for and opposition fans were desperate to beat.

The past 15 years have been tough for us fans but if one thing is for sure it'll make us appreciate the success even more and not take it for granted like we perhaps did previously and other clubs do now.

Bring on the summer signings. The new season can't arrive quickly enough.

I 100% echo the previous comments made here. This is my first season back supporting the Devils since the old rink was demolished back in 2005 (or was it 06) Back then I was utterly addicted to the sport and followed the Devils fortunes every week. When the old rink went something in my head changed and Ice Hockey was'nt the dominant force any more.
In the years that have past (unless you went looking for it) not a lot has been reported in the media about the Devils, it was no longer televised on the BBC or Sky and wasnt as visible in the papers. Since the start of this season though there has been an overwhelming wave of positivity and good news coming from the Devils camp from the new owners, management, players and the fans. I went to see my first game in October (my first in 10 years) and the passion came flooding back and im happy to say i'm addicted to hockey once again. It was the Hull game where the owners did their lap of honour. Im aware of how much pain and frustration the fans have had in the past but it was great to see the look on everyones face and the Red Army in full voice.
Im a family man now and my wife and daughter have been to a couple of games (hopefully more to come) Not sure if they've quite got the same passion I have yet but Im working on it.
I check the Devils website and Inferno on a daily basis and am constantly checking player stats like I always used to. Its about time I registered on the Inferno so i have done.
The Q final and Semi final of the challenge cup were amazing at the BBT the final itself at Sheffield was one of the best sporting experiences of my life. We were 1 result away from winning the league. A grueling 52 game format which to me is a much truer reflection of where a team is at rather than the very limited 4 game end of season play-offs. The Devils played about a dozen games to win the CC!!
The awards night on Monday ended this rollarcoaster ride perfectly and to able to meet and chat to the players and staff was special.
Thanks to everyone who are involved with this great club and the fantastic people at SORAC who have kept this club going through all the dark times. Also to all the fans who are the Devils 6th player on the ice. Heres to a great season and many more to come.
LETS GO DEVILS, LETS GO!!!
:D

kettdevil1

I can only echo what has been said. This is my 26th year (25 if we delete the year that never was) and I am struggling to think of a better one. In part because it was so unexpected, but mostly because we now have owners, a GM, a coach, a player coach and a group of players who have inspired us all and turned around the gloom that had encompassed the club.

I came into the game watching Doug McEwen, Ian Cooper, Shannon Hope and others and there were times when I was transported back to the old WNIR. Doug had become Joey Martin, Coops was Mathew Myers and Andrew Hotham was playing the part of Shannon but what I felt was that a whole new set of players were going to inspire a whole new set of fans......as well as reinvigorating us oldies......

Next season is going to be a real test. The bar has been set high and the expectations are that we will move forward again but...... I really can't wait.

Kipper

After the way good personal friends were treated by the previous regime, I doubt if I would have bothered coming to any Devils games this season other than if the off ice officials team were shorthanded and needed help. Ragan would probably have banned me from games by then anyway. :D

Grateful thanks to Steve,Todd and their colleagues for rekindling my enthusiasm for the Devils and making it a pleasure to come to games again. Last season dragged on for decades-this season has flown by!

Mostly, thanks to Franny for not letting his club disappear off the face of the earth and initiating the takeover.

drainage

I signed up for ST last season but literally the day before the announcement we had new owners I nearly cancelled ........I was for the first time in 25 plus years totally disillusioned and I have seen the good and bad times before

I am extremely grateful for the new owners , regime and season we have just had ...... its a no brainer to question whether I sign up this season why wouldnt I? I cannot remember spending so much money to travel away .....you have emptied the coffers !

I thank all concerned for a truely memorable season and look forward to where we go next .... Its been a blast and I am definately along for the ride!

DevilDom said:
This season has far exceeded my expectations and the rest of the league must be getting worried about what can be achieved in the forthcoming years for the Devils. My love for hockey and the Devils is back with a bang and the "thing" my boy and I do together is no longer at risk of being taken away from me.
I feel exactly the same Dom, so pleased that the chips fell kindly to us after season of misery