Emmerson ban

Earnie

Well that gives us and management and players an early idea as to how the new system will work.

I await the inconsistency to show up!

Temme

Big loss for Edinburgh, and only themselves to blame.

I wonder if anyone at the game could say how bad it actually was?

Has the penalty been worked out by giving the maximum ban for boarding a player?

It certainly sets an example if nothing else.

Temme

Just seen this posted elsewhere:

"I was at the match and as Belfast supporter at the time I thought as did most of our fans that the hit was hard but fair. However I think this is an appropriate penalty for the inability of the Capitals to produce evidence which could well have found him not guilty.

If the the Elite League were not to follow through on this then how long do you think it would be before those fine upstanding people who run the elite league clubs suddenly found that it was quite easy to avoid a ban if your video footage was eaten by the dog or you failed to hit the record button."

quite right i say, handing out such a harsh ban certainly avoids people doing this in future.

Temme

Aaaaaaand.... on a further note,

The ban has been given as the footage couldn't be provided, NOT because the hit was worth of a 10 game ban.

What would happen if this hit was the other way around?

K Phillips boards Emmerson at Edinburgh's rink... and Edinburgh mysteriously lose the footage.

Surely they can't do the same then if it's not the away teams fault? BUT they must stay consistent in the punishments... right? (when have they ever been consistent...)

KaneDevils

Stupid decision. The fact the Caps don't have the footage is the clubs fault NOT the players. Punish the club accordingly. A 2 minute minor becomes a 10 game ban? A bit drastic that!

Would the outcome have been the same if it had happened to an Edinburgh player at the 'O'?

Mooney#16

I don't understand that release. A match for boarding is now 10 games or Riley has had games loaded because of a lack of video. Any ban should apply to the on ice offence. 10 games is heavy for boarding. If Philips was injured then yes it's a game or match. Philips has played tonight so it wasn't a severe concussion or his doctor is shite. If the 10 is the tarif it's excessive. If games are loaded for lack of video it's an open admission that player suspensions are used as political tools. Either way seems it's the opening cluck up of the season. Department of player safety / Department of Finance strikes.

DevilDom

The ban would not have been the same had it been Belfast, Panthers or Steelers. That's why the league stinks and always will do until there is an independent governing body.

drainage

KaneDevils said:
Stupid decision. The fact the Caps don't have the footage is the clubs fault NOT the players. Punish the club accordingly. A 2 minute minor becomes a 10 game ban? A bit drastic that!

Would the outcome have been the same if it had happened to an Edinburgh player at the 'O'?
It's rare I agree with you :D but on this I do

If the issue is lack of footage fair enough punish the club but 10 matches for a hit to a player (that can't be seen) allegedly concussed who played yesterday frankly stinks

What's more worrying is this is the opening salvo of the new panel and only mid Sep .....doesn't bode well for the next 5 and a half months!

Temme said:
Just seen this posted elsewhere:

"I was at the match and as Belfast supporter at the time I thought as did most of our fans that the hit was hard but fair. However I think this is an appropriate penalty for the inability of the Capitals to produce evidence which could well have found him not guilty.

If the the Elite League were not to follow through on this then how long do you think it would be before those fine upstanding people who run the elite league clubs suddenly found that it was quite easy to avoid a ban if your video footage was eaten by the dog or you failed to hit the record button."

quite right i say, handing out such a harsh ban certainly avoids people doing this in future.
What a pile of crap. Punishing the player because his club didn't produce footage?

Oh well that's one player heading home that I was looking forward to seeing. It staggers me some of the decisions made by the morons in the ivory towers, some of them would struggle to get a job collecting trolleys at tescos.

Skippy

So is the ruling something along the lines of " If there's no video evidence we assume the worst and will penalize accordingly ?"

If that's the case and the clubs were aware then fair enough.

If the club's weren't aware it's a whole separate issue

Wannabe2

What if the game is filmed but the cameraman misses the incident, is it still the same, obviously no fine but what about the player.

I don't understand this at all.

So there is no footage and the ref gave 2 mins. But Belfast complain and it goes to 10 games? How can the player possibly get punished in this situation? Makes the league look corrupt as hell. How is it in their interest to ban one of the only draws in the most poorly attended rink in the league when there is absolutely no evidence?
Edinburgh should definitely appeal this, is there a higher body they can go to?

Wannabe2

danhall76 said:
I don't understand this at all.

So there is no footage and the ref gave 2 mins. But Belfast complain and it goes to 10 games? How can the player possibly get punished in this situation? Makes the league look corrupt as hell. How is it in their interest to ban one of the only draws in the most poorly attended rink in the league when there is absolutely no evidence?
Edinburgh should definitely appeal this, is there a higher body they can go to?
Is there a lower body. :lol:

Ocko

If they took this down a legal route, like a sports arbitration court it would last a matter of seconds. You cannot penalise a player for his clubs actions.

they should get a new sponsor for this league like disney and call it the mickey mouse league.

terrible decision by the league to ban a player because of a club mistake, i wonder what they would do if we were in the same position

I agree with Ocko..The player would have a case for 'restriction of employment'. He shouldnt be penalised if they havent seen footage. Whose in charge of player safety PR? They should gave docked Edinburgh pts.