Electro

Tyke Devil

I personally am disappointed to see Electro go. He was entertaining and offered a different perspective to some of the sycophantic things I see posted on here at times. Electro definitely came out with some stuff that I disagreed with. However, I also disagree with some people on here who appear to believe any criticism of the Devils is a cardinal sin. Electro also overstepped the mark with some personal attacks on people - however, to suggest that that was a one way tunnel is completely inaccurate. I saw some dismissive, personal and abusive remarks be aimed at Electro and any suggestion that he is the only guilty party here is not at all fair.

Regarding the point about taking threads off topic, I think that's a very subjective issue and a tough one to find the right balance. A forum like this will inevitably have threads that go off topic. But surely we don't a new thread whenever somebody wants to discuss a slightly different aspect of the club, or a particular player, or a particular issue? Going off topic and bringing in other issues, for example, on a game thread following something they've seen in that game, is a natural part of debate and if Electro was causing 20+ page threads, at least he was getting people thinking about different things and stoking up debate.
We have to be careful here though.....there is an art of trolling where posts are simply provocative in nature and where the reason is solely to get the largest numbers of responses possible. By posting pretty much only negative Devils views on a Devils forum this will without doubt get that result. No issues with disagreeing but when 99% of your posts disagree with the consensus then I would suggest that the poster knows very well what they are doing and gains some odd satisfaction out of doing it. I am not whiter than white when it comes to posting on here and I often fall into the trap of responding to these guys. That is my bad and I am making the effort not to do this.

Sorry if this is off topic.

I'll start with well done the Devils, the team played a blinder, not only winning the CC, but also beating Sheffield at home, does not get much sweeter than that. I've constantly supported Lord as a coach, this may well be his yr, l as any Devil want nothing but success. I've lost count the number of times I've written that l support Lord.

I apologise to any poster here who feel l in some way insulted them. My posting on the forum is not to cause upset, or to Troll. I'm no forum expert, this is the only forum l write on, I'm not educated in forum etiquette, so l make mistakes in judging posters responses. I've not once been warned by the admin here, so assumed I was not breaking any forum rules. No posters had messaged me suggesting l was causing them issues.

As for my constant negativity, l guess my passion for Devils success, being critical when less than adequate has been experienced has gotten in the way, l guess my writing skills could have been much better. The success of the Devils performance on ice is critical, but also so is the "other stuff", the IAW etc. Both parties need to be successful for the other to survive.

Any ways. Happy Hockey Days, see yo'all at the rink.

JC23

Sorry if this is off topic.

I'll start with well done the Devils, the team played a blinder, not only winning the CC, but also beating Sheffield at home, does not get much sweeter than that. I've constantly supported Lord as a coach, this may well be his yr, l as any Devil want nothing but success. I've lost count the number of times I've written that l support Lord.

I apologise to any poster here who feel l in some way insulted them. My posting on the forum is not to cause upset, or to Troll. I'm no forum expert, this is the only forum l write on, I'm not educated in forum etiquette, so l make mistakes in judging posters responses. I've not once been warned by the admin here, so assumed I was not breaking any forum rules. No posters had messaged me suggesting l was causing them issues.

As for my constant negativity, l guess my passion for Devils success, being critical when less than adequate has been experienced has gotten in the way, l guess my writing skills could have been much better. The success of the Devils performance on ice is critical, but also so is the "other stuff", the IAW etc. Both parties need to be successful for the other to survive.

Any ways. Happy Hockey Days, see yo'all at the rink.
I dunno if I've missed something here pal, but having looked through the messages you've posted I don't see anything negative at all, not that it's a bad thing. We're all allowed to be negative as the mods have said, just some people like to be provocative with it. ;)

Rob Batch

I don't know why, but I luv all this stuff(madness) ! I'm over the moon with the CC Cup victory, but let the entertainment resume !! Everybody's opininions are brilliant or worthless, depending on your point of view. By the way, mine are brilliant, everyone else's are.....good , but not always as good. Question==== Where is my tongue?? Not There!!

Chris

Administrator
I didn't agree with alot of things he said, but I enjoyed reading them. I struggle alot with my humour not translating into written words or being misinterpreted etc. So I've no idea if Electro was purposely winding people up or just having fun. RIP.
Thing is, I don't think either myself or James found all of his comments particularly bad or wide of the mark, but it was the constant and never ending stream of posts that seemed intent on winding other posters up, taking threads off topic, or just generally being an arse. They had already had a temporary ban over Christmas because we were fed up of having to moderate the forum almost permanently just for them. They could have used this opportunity to change their posting style but they didn't.

Untill he is back with a new name. Electro wasnt his first name on here, and probably wont be his last
I think that is probably inevitable, but the only other member we've permanently banned is/was Chillee and they seem to have re-emerged with a different way of posting which doesn't seem to be as bad, so there is hope yet. If Electro chooses to come back with a different name and doesn't act like they did before then I don't know that it's a real problem.

Mainly for continual attacks on other posters either direct or indirect despite continual warnings and a temporary ban. Continually taking every thread off topic didn't help either and would probably fall under Rule 7 (Don't take the mick). Electro was more than capable of making valid points and observations but seemed intent on backing them up with snide remarks and put downs which was in no way conducive to the health of the forum. We don't want to ban anyone but when someone is clearly 'pissing in the water supply' we need to take steps unfortunately.
To add a little more to what James said, this is the 9th year that we've been running the forum and MNL and I don't think either of us have had to do as much moderating as we did/do when Electro is free to post. We don't make any money from running the forum, we do it for fun and to give fans a place to post things in more than 180 characters, oh and go through the pain of hosting and running MNL (With the incredible help of @Nott Simpson and @Russky of course).

We've always tried to avoid moderating the forums as much as we could without things going down the pan, which was one of the first thngs we agreed on after the debacle of the EIHL forums hosted and run by Bob Phillips and co. But Electro seriously tested our patience for continuing to run the forum, a temporary ban over Christmas didn't give them enough of a hint to change their style so now they have a longer ban.

I agree he was pretty negative and irritating but some of that is needed on these forums.
If they are going to be dominated by sycophants and Devil worshippers what is the point of it.
There are more than enough on here ready to jump on any one who upsets the sacred cows.
If you dont want to read him move on to another post.
@James has already replied, but I thought it was worth reiterating that if you take a look at Twitter during this season most people are complaining that the forum is too negative and they won't bother posting here. I admit I don't really understand this view, surely the way to change things is to get involved rather than sit back on Twitter and moan but there we go.

As for just moving on, normally i'd agree with you. But he tended to crop up on nearyly every thread that looked like it was going to gain some traction and almost without fail the thread would then derail and we'd have to end up stepping in and deleting/editing things. So moving on and ignoring his posts wasn't quite as simple as you suggest.

I for one, am not sad to see he's gone.

I'm far from a red tinted specs kinda fan, and sometimes even agreed with Electro on certain points.

For me though, threads would end up with 20+ pages full of people talking about totally irrelevant points brought up by Electro, and it would make the whole thread absolutely pointless reading.

I can completely understand the mods decision, as such action would drive some fans away from even bothering to read the forum. I would have been one of them.
This. We actually noticed a decrease in the amount of posts from different users when Electro was derailing threads and winding people up. Whilst we don't make any money from the site, we don't particulary want an empty forum all because of 1 or 2 users.

There is nothing wrong with criticism and I'd never seek to stifle it (in fact take a casual look on twitter and its full of people complaining about how negative the inferno is in general) it does however need to be done in a constructive way, or at very least following the rules of the forum. We are independent of the club and this ownership have never sought to influence or censure anything on here. In short, be as critical as you like, just don't be a dick about it.
If anyone is still in any doubt about the way we're currently moderating the forum, then click here: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Rule 7 and look at the top definition.

It must be a difficult job keeping on top of this forum at times. Different people have different opinions so I imagine it's tough work judging where the line is and who has crossed it. Cheers for all of your efforts to give us a platform to discuss the Devils. It must be even harder with trolls like Asselinsstick posting a lot of nonsense too![/QUOT

you can stick that opinion where the sun doesn't shine joeyhaddadpims!
I want cheerleaders you want to rile people up and cause chaos......You've had warnings from the Mods too.
You post contravercial and contradicting posts regularly to get the fans pissed!
I piped up on a few threads but nothing in the way of a Troll! I also stand corrected many times by fellow posters and don't retaliate with abuse.....

It must be a difficult job keeping on top of this forum at times. Different people have different opinions so I imagine it's tough work judging where the line is and who has crossed it. Cheers for all of your efforts to give us a platform to discuss the Devils. It must be even harder with trolls like Asselinsstick posting a lot of nonsense too!
I couldn't agree with you more about the hard work that seems to be done behind the scenes to keep such a platform as this running. So for that I'd also like to thank the mods for all the hard and repetitive work they must have been putting in making sure everything that's crossed the line is edited.

What I don't like are various members of the forum assuming a new sign up is a troll. I was accused of being an "account sharer" but the mods quickly cleared that up. Also an individual attacking two members of this forum and calling them trolls. The mods has made it rather clear no personal attacks!!!

I couldn't agree with you more about the hard work that seems to be done behind the scenes to keep such a platform as this running. So for that I'd also like to thank the mods for all the hard and repetitive work they must have been putting in making sure everything that's crossed the line is edited.

What I don't like are various members of the forum assuming a new sign up is a troll. I was accused of being an "account sharer" but the mods quickly cleared that up. Also an individual attacking two members of this forum and calling them trolls. The mods has made it rather clear no personal attacks!!!

Thank you!

RedDevil17

Judging from Electro's posts I couldn't make out what point he was making? The most I got from the majority of his posts was that he criticised everything to do with the Devils, lordo and the arena too! I don't understand why tbh due to the fact we've won 2 challenge cups in 3 years, we've got a great arena and a great coach as well as top owners. If anything he should've been more grateful considering what happened during the Pope and Regan era.

Wannabe2

For some weird reason Electro seemed to be on a mission, and it appeared to be to knock and to diss anything good about our club, there are many negative people on this planet. We have probably all met a few, whether in work or in life, that's the way some people are, fortunately there wasn't many about in the 60s, but that's another story. But at this moment in time our club and it's amazing fans, are riding the crest of a wave, and the last thing we want to hear is nonsense about this ain't working, that ain't working, when we are all having a blast. Jesus if you can knock what we have now, there's no hope for you brother. It's a great pity that a few can't experience the thrill and excitement that 99.999% of us are experiencing.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

RedDevil17

For some weird reason Electro seemed to be on a mission, and it appeared to be to knock and to diss anything good about our club, there are many negative people on this planet. We have probably all met a few, whether in work or in life, that's the way some people are, fortunately there wasn't many about in the 60s, but that's another story. But at this moment in time our club and it's amazing fans, are riding the crest of a wave, and the last thing we want to hear is nonsense about this ain't working, that ain't working, when we are all having a blast. Jesus if you can knock what we have now, there's no hope for you brother. It's a great pity that a few can't experience the thrill and excitement that 99.999% of us are experiencing.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.
Everyone who attends games always do a fantastic job supporting and cheering our team on. That was shown especially on Sunday. He did seem on a mission and I'm not sure why considering how much we've achieved in the past couple of years.

It may help if people stopped reading comments and responding with assumptions within the response. Particularly remarks on a personal level, are the rules different for certain "Friends" of the forum, does not make for a friendly environment in which people would want to post on.

It may help if people stopped reading comments and responding with assumptions within the response. Particularly remarks on a personal level, are the rules different for certain "Friends" of the forum, does not make for a friendly environment in which people would want to post on.
"Friends of the forum" is this the cosy club?

Finny

My problem with Electro was that he seemed to just want to argue for the sake of it. He'd jump into a topic, take it off-topic with a random comment and then refuse to back it up. Often pretending that it was obvious why he said it but refusing to explain.

I also got the feeling he wasn't that big a Devils fan. He seemed to be drawn to the forum due to the building of IAW and then stayed on here so he could air his grievance as to how it was built and he had no part of it. But to try to make it less obvious he'd join in on threads by posting generic comments that had no actual comment. Then every now and again he's bring the building of the arena back up.

Devil_Abroad

I am short not tall. Though I do carry quite a bit of weight and stay up way past my bed time I don't think I'm a troll.

I do have to admit that personally I was both taken aback and hurt not wanting others to think the same. Then after a short period of time I realised I was taking it too personally and I probably wasn't understanding how it was intended to be presented.

Anyway...... CHAMPIONS!!!!! Woohoo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RedDevil17

If anything, electro bought the forum into disrespute by constantly winding people up which caused arguments?

voth26

Having been a back seat reader on this forum for a number of years I thought I would finally make an account and get involved. It saddens me that Electro has been banned, I thought he was a great member with a lot of interesting (maybe different) views on certain topics. I feel Electro was often bullied on here by certain members, they should be ashamed. Long live Electro. #Justiceforelectro
So Electrois back under another name!!

voth26

Never said I was voiceless? I said I was the voice of the voiceless, meaning for all those who dare comment on this forum for fear of facing the wrath of the cosy club for having an opinion that differs from their own. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm not Electro.
There are plenty of healthy debates and difference of opinions on threads posted on here, the difference is that the majority of people do it properly whilst Electro did it with smart arse and snide comments, so kind of possibly blows your thoughts somewhat sideways