EIHL: a third tier league?

SteveKing

From my perspective and following all levels of hockey, EIHL is at a higher level than ECHL and behind the AHL. We are certainly not the 16th best league in Europe. Maybe that was thought many years ago but not now. I'd put us firmly in the top ten and I'd also say that our trajectory would be better than any. Players are increasingly wanting to come to our league so the players with NHL experience or other "higher" leagues is growing dramatically.

Electro

From my perspective and following all levels of hockey, EIHL is at a higher level than ECHL and behind the AHL. We are certainly not the 16th best league in Europe. Maybe that was thought many years ago but not now. I'd put us firmly in the top ten and I'd also say that our trajectory would be better than any. Players are increasingly wanting to come to our league so the players with NHL experience or other "higher" leagues is growing dramatically.
Interesting as the ECHL is ranked higher than AHL.

For me the deciding proof of the quality of EIHL would be when young stars or in their prime players pick the EIHL over those leagues or the KHL. As opposed to the current choice of players who tend to be at the end of there careers.

The UK needs a serious amount of everything put into the sport before the EIHL can grow further, it'll never happen with the current structure and organisation. It's been on prime TV, clubs had sell out crowds, it had NHLers, it had a future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wannabe2

No way is the ECHL higher than the AHL, the AHL is the second tier down from the NHL, time to rethink mate. Also the EIHL is in the top 12 European leagues at number 11.

Chris

Administrator
Interesting as the ECHL is ranked higher than AHL.

For me the deciding proof of the quality of EIHL would be when young stars or in their prime players pick the EIHL over those leagues or the KHL. As opposed to the current choice of players who tend to be at the end of there careers.

The UK needs a serious amount of everything put into the sport before the EIHL can grow further, it'll never happen with the current structure and organisation. It's been on prime TV, clubs had sell out crowds, it had NHLers, it had a future.

Can you provide us all with a link, or a source that suggests the ECHL is ranked above the AHL?

All those teams sending players down to the ECHL from the AHL must have been mistaken. Who knew a man from Cardiff knew more than them :rolleyes:

Wannabe2

No, l fucked up on that one, can l blame the wine.

Well I usually do, on the Malbec as we speak, beef casserole lush red wine, on a cold night, it don't get much better. Great Alibi by the way, most of us use it.

It's quite difficult, in my opinion, to compare the EIHL to other leagues around the world as it's quite unique in its structure, rules, and the disparity between top and bottom teams.

Take the ECHL, stick the Devils in there and they'd probably do pretty well and be near the top. Stick a lower team in there and they'd probably not do so well. Bear in mind Ben Davies wasn't able to secure a job in the ECHL, neither was Paul Swindlehurst, nor Matt Myers (although he was hampered by injuries during his stint over there). I'm a Storm fan, and a big fan of both Jack Prince and Adam Harding but could either of those players secure a full time job in the ECHL? Not in my opinion (although Prince has been pretty impressive so far this season). Then look at backup netminders, I'd be surprised if Douglas, Mallinson, Holland, Marr, etc could get a job as backup netminders in the ECHL.

In Europe, I'd say that KHL, SHL, Liiga, NLA, DEL, EBEL, Norwegian GET Ligaen, Allsvenskan, Czech Extraliga are better than the EIHL. I don't know enough about DEL2, VHL, Slovak Extraliga, Ukraine, Poland, Serie A, Ligue Magnus, Alps Hockey League to comment much on them but I'd imagine EIHL is probably a lower level than the VHL at least (look at Vorobyev's stats last season in the VHL), maybe others in that list.

Electro

Well I usually do, on the Malbec as we speak, beef casserole lush red wine, on a cold night, it don't get much better. Great Alibi by the way, most of us use it.
What's your address.

Dodged a bullet on that one, do you think Steve noticed.

Devil_Abroad

Whoever thinks the EIHL is equal to third tier in North America needs to find another sport.

We really need London to have a KHL team for some to compare, the pre season games where ok, but that level is so so so much better.

I'd watch KHL in London over Devils.

Why? You can't compare them properly unless a few teams play each other. You can look at the quality of players and make guess that's all.

Let's hope they do get a KHL team in London [emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devil_Abroad

Electro did. Although he says he was being sarcastic. I don't think he was. Read his post carefully. ;)
That's my point - nobody mentions Europe/KHL before he makes that statement. Where's the sarcasm in it?

He does say later he'd been on the wine so I guess that explains the weird comment.

Samael

That's my point - nobody mentions Europe/KHL before he makes that statement. Where's the sarcasm in it?

He does say later he'd been on the wine so I guess that explains the weird comment.

Read the time stamps on Electro's statements. He was being "sarcastic" yesterday and today he's on the wine. Personally I just think he's talking out of his arse and now using sarcasm and booze as a get out clause.

Thread starter #39
Here's a task for you then:

Post a mocked up list with each tier and below that the teams that slot into that tier etc.
I'm talking about on a world scale.

Electro

The sarcasm comes from the fact some believe the EIHL is a professional league. I guess Terry Hunt came close in understanding that. I'm coming from the whole structure, not just player improvement, but as a complete package.

The KHL reference was just picking up the pre season in Cardiff and my opinion of it and how it links in with European hockey.