Votes: 43 28.9%
  • No

Votes: 106 71.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

moggy#9

I don’t think any of those are better than the one we have.

People don’t want to like the new logo. No matter how good it is, it’ll never be liked.
I think it's a bit patronising to presume to know what's in people's minds on the subject. I can only speak for myself. All I can say is that I don't like this particular design. I don't suppose it's as bad as when the islanders adopted the captain Birdseye design in the late 90s, but still. All that would be necessary is a few tweaks to sort out the new logo: get rid of the penguin, and get rid of the fussy flames on the left side.

Talking of NHL teams, I preferred the original phoenix/Arizona logo, but I can see what they're doing with the current one. That's the story of evolution I could accept.

Finny

For me it's no the fact we have a rebrand, i don't believe in standing still, rebrands can be amazing. It's not the fact that it's a simple design, simple can also be good. The fly in the ointment for me is the logo design is just bad and here are a few simple devil logos that are simple and much better, clean lines, simple design, simple colours:-

View attachment 2335 View attachment 2336 View attachment 2337 View attachment 2338

View attachment 2339

These were in the first few pics when i did a search, didn't go in to any great length to find them.
So in showing these obviously they are being used elsewhere, i'm not saying "Use these", what i'm trying to show is simple designs to depict a devil that look better than the one that was designed for our team.
Personally, I think all those options are way worse than what we had and what we have now.

Finny

I’m not saying I agree with the execution of the rebrand or how it was rolled out. It was very corporate in delivery and some of it was pure BS and simply not needed. Devils fans are passionate but very black and white. What was delivered was all shades of neon vomit and no one swallowed it.

How ever the logo itself I think will grow on people. When you actually look at a whole host nhl logos the simple ones work best but also ones that can be reproduced in any size and still hold the image. Of the ones below I think it’s the simplist that pop out. Seattle probably the best followed by the likes of Calgary and Philly. Whether you actually like the logo is personal choice but I get it will be more recognisable once it’s established.
View attachment 2333

Also I’m intrigued if Devils actually own the old logo or if the rights are held by someone else and used on licence. If on licence then if it was renewal time and the owner wanted crazy money or wouldn’t sell then the other option would be to re brand. Not my place to know but would present a different motivation.
I’m fairly certain the old logos are owned by the club.

I think when Bob Phillips took the team out of the ISL and into the BNL there was a dispute about who owned the logos. IIRC the 2nd version was owned by Shannon Hope and he refused to allow Brian Candy’s team to use it.
Years later, I remember being in a meeting where another takeover was taking place and it had been agreed that Shannon was give ownership of the logo to the club.
I think it was Matt Burge buying the club off Phillips but we had so many ownership changes in a short space of time back then I could be mixing them up

Have Hope#35

For me it's no the fact we have a rebrand, i don't believe in standing still, rebrands can be amazing. It's not the fact that it's a simple design, simple can also be good. The fly in the ointment for me is the logo design is just bad and here are a few simple devil logos that are simple and much better, clean lines, simple design, simple colours:-

View attachment 2335 View attachment 2336 View attachment 2337 View attachment 2338

View attachment 2339

These were in the first few pics when i did a search, didn't go in to any great length to find them.
So in showing these obviously they are being used elsewhere, i'm not saying "Use these", what i'm trying to show is simple designs to depict a devil that look better than the one that was designed for our team.
I think the best one in that batch of examples is the one we have. It just goes to show that even if they'd put it out to a vote there would still be a lot of unhappy fans!

Last edited:

lloyd_jeff

I think the best one in that batch of examples is the one we have. It just goes to show that even if they'd put it out to a vote there would still be a lot of unhappy fans!
A vote wouldn’t stop unhappiness, what it’ll give is some indication as to which design is more or less likely to sell. After all that’s the point of the rebranding.

doron

View attachment 2339

i totally agree. i would have no problem with all 4 of these logos, the simple fact is the current logo is p*ss poor. and more to the point it does nothing to enhance the club. in fact, it devalues it in my opinion. this in itself (these 4 logos) shows there are much better options out there. for example, with these 4 logos you would feel great showing off your clothes. the current one looks like it came out of a cornflakes packet as a free sticker.

Last edited:

E.D.S.

I think what Kevlar was doing was putting forward the first few he found from a search. I don’t think he was saying we should have one of those so the point about making fans unhappy isn’t necessarily applicable to that but regardless everyone won’t agree with everything. It’s human nature.

@Ocko I think it’s incredibly short sighted and inaccurate to say that “people don’t want to like the logo regardless of how good it is”. It’s like saying “you’ll love anything the club put out because you’re a people pleaser or you suck up to the owners”. Completely not true from what I can tell about you but you get the inference. I’d give folk on here a bit more credit.

In terms of this forum… the poll speaks for itself. Surely the majority of voters can’t all be miserable old gits who can’t cope with change??

James

Administrator
fYears later, I remember being in a meeting where another takeover was taking place and it had been agreed that Shannon was give ownership of the logo to the club.
I think it was Matt Burge buying the club off Phillips but we had so many ownership changes in a short space of time back then I could be mixing them up
Im fairly sure it was during Ragans tenure. The amusing thing is the logo was considered at the time to be the primary asset and defining piece of the Devils hence wanting to safeguard it.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #210
I think what Kevlar was doing was putting forward the first few he found from a search. I don’t think he was saying we should have one of those. /QUOTE]

That's exactly it. I wasn't saying use one of them, those examples are in use and those came up on the first 3 rows of my search, I just used them as other examples so there are most probably hundreds more.
That's exactly it. I wasn't saying use one of them, those examples are in use and those came up on the first 3 rows of my search, I just used them as other examples so there are most probably hundreds more and ones better than those.

Last edited:

Have Hope#35

I think what Kevlar was doing was putting forward the first few he found from a search. I don’t think he was saying we should have one of those so the point about making fans unhappy isn’t necessarily applicable to that but regardless everyone won’t agree with everything. It’s human nature.

@Ocko I think it’s incredibly short sighted and inaccurate to say that “people don’t want to like the logo regardless of how good it is”. It’s like saying “you’ll love anything the club put out because you’re a people pleaser or you suck up to the owners”. Completely not true from what I can tell about you but you get the inference. I’d give folk on here a bit more credit.

In terms of this forum… the poll speaks for itself. Surely the majority of voters can’t all be miserable old gits who can’t cope with change??
I would personally say that my point is applicable... Whilst I appreciate he wasn't suggesting that one of those should be our logo, he was suggesting that they were all better than it. That just proves how different personal preference is and emphasises the fact that even if we'd had a vote there would've still been unnecessary outrage from some.

E.D.S.

I would personally say that my point is applicable... Whilst I appreciate he wasn't suggesting that one of those should be our logo, he was suggesting that they were all better than it. That just proves how different personal preference is and emphasises the fact that even if we'd had a vote there would've still been unnecessary outrage from some.
I agree and that's the only point that matters here. It's personal opinion. If you don't like the new logo, it won't necessarily be because you don't like change, can't cope with change or "some people will never be pleased and will never like it". It's a personal choice. Some logos mean everything to people, some mean nothing to people. Just an opinion. What doesn't help, and this isn't directed at you at all, is the disparaging comments because you are in the camp of 'not liking it'.

'The Forum's in meltdown because people can't cope with change' and 'new players won't want to join us because of what's being said about the logo (paraphrasing)'. Just doesn't ring true. Some people don't like it, some people don't care. Neither opinion really matters as it's happening. It's personal opinion that we're all entitled to have.

Have Hope#35

I agree and that's the only point that matters here. It's personal opinion. If you don't like the new logo, it won't necessarily be because you don't like change, can't cope with change or "some people will never be pleased and will never like it". It's a personal choice. Some logos mean everything to people, some mean nothing to people. Just an opinion. What doesn't help, and this isn't directed at you at all, is the disparaging comments because you are in the camp of 'not liking it'.

'The Forum's in meltdown because people can't cope with change' and 'new players won't want to join us because of what's being said about the logo (paraphrasing)'. Just doesn't ring true. Some people don't like it, some people don't care. Neither opinion really matters as it's happening. It's personal opinion that we're all entitled to have.
That's fair... I wouldn't put myself in either camp. When it was first released I wasn't sure as it's a big change, I still wouldn't go as far as to say I love it but it does look good on the merch and I liked the new jerseys. I can see how it fits into the modern world of branding and whilst I liked the old logo I think I will always prefer our first.
I do think that some people have been way over the top in their response to the change but I also think no one should be criticised for not liking it. There will never be a situation where everyone likes the same thing but hopefully that won't get in the way of people supporting the team!? Some will no doubt grow to like it and others may even love it in time, but hopefully those who continue to dislike it can look past it and support the team they love regardless.

Last edited:
Don’t we feel it’s time to move on from logogate now? Nothing’s going to change, and I’m sure by now everyone who wanted to express their opinion, will have done (often multiple times).
I’m sick of reading about it. People seriously need to move on.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #218
Don’t we feel it’s time to move on from logogate now? Nothing’s going to change, and I’m sure by now everyone who wanted to express their opinion, will have done (often multiple times).
I’m sick of reading about it. People seriously need to move on.
This thread is about the logo, it hasn't hijacked another topic, if your sick of reading it don't open the topic, it's as simple as that.

As for the t-shirt above i genuinely thought it was a mock up by someone as the logo looks like its been superimposed on to the t-shirt, it looks off to me as the font looks like an old style font, a sort of western cowboy font which fits in with a Calgary connection but with a modern logo, i do like the font used.
I think the t-shirt would have looked better just with the font, like the text only t-shirts we've had before.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.