Votes: 43 28.9%
  • No

Votes: 106 71.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Finny

Not sure i can explain it in a better way than what I said.

The thread regarding the logo shows it though. The ownership / management decided that a rebrand was needed in order for us to move forward as a business - fine.

If we have a catastrophic failure of a season (and of course we all hope not) then at some point blame is going to be apportioned to the divided fan base this summer.

It was said in the previous thread that the only way the Devils can overcome this PR blunder is to have a winning season on the ice and unite the fan base. There’s your added pressure.

The fan base isn’t divided because of the fans, it’s divided because of the decision to rebrand.
Thanks for taking the time to reply and trying to explain.

But I'm struggling to see how what happens off the ice has anything to do with what happens on it.

You say we have a divided fan base this summer. Maybe I don't follow the right people on social media - but it's not that bad is it? They're only divided over whether they like the logo aren't they?

Are there people saying that they aren't going to support the club because the club changed the logo?

When Cardiff City rebranded in 2012 that eventually happened. But they had a complete rebrand and change in identity. The bluebirds became red. The bluebird on the logo was replaced by a dragon. And the new logo was truly horrific.
That's not happened here. We're still going to be playing in red or white or black. We still have a Devils on our logo. We've just changed a constipated face-on one for a constipated side-on one.

I can remember when the Devils fanbase was truly divided. Protests. Boycotts. But that was about players not getting paid or treated correctly. Personally, that's what I associate the soul of the club with more than a crappy logo.
I'm not aware of any such protests being planned this year? I saw a couple of people on here post that they were going to get a CCFC season ticket instead (oh the irony) and I've seen a couple of people change their twitter profile picture to the old logo.
But that is it isn't it?
Steve King has said that merchandise sales are actually up so far this year. And whilst I'm not that fussed on the logo even I have to admit it looks pretty good on some merchandise. It didn't look great on the jersey picture I saw but maybe that was because it wasn't hanging right. With padding etc hopefully it will look better.

And if the logo is driving fans away, it looks like those fans are being quickly replaced. I just had a look at getting tickets for my wife and niece for the Belfast game and it's not far off being a sell-out. Most blocks only have a handful of single seats left.

It would be interesting to see another poll run once the season has started, but with a third option of "Don't care/Not bothered"

august04 2.0

This thread is petering out now, time for hockey to start. The key to all this will be merchandise sales and whether the club are hit in the pocket compared with previous years (if I recall Steve King said they were up before anything was listed in the online shop so perhaps that comment was based on jersey orders from the night of the launch, but time will tell). I still think it's an appalling, amateurish attempt at a rebrand and the logo looks dreadful everywhere I see it but there you go, that’s just my opinion still. Kelman won’t be changing it anytime soon. Looking forward to reading his program notes on the topic as he’s been very quiet up to now. I wonder if we'll see his humble side or if he’ll have a go at the fanbase. My money is on the latter!

lloyd_jeff

Yes it’s time to look forward & enjoy the game we all love. It’s pretty obvious the owners like to blow smoke up their own arses, fingers crossed for a successful season.

moggy#9

Thanks for taking the time to reply and trying to explain.

But I'm struggling to see how what happens off the ice has anything to do with what happens on it.

You say we have a divided fan base this summer. Maybe I don't follow the right people on social media - but it's not that bad is it? They're only divided over whether they like the logo aren't they?

Are there people saying that they aren't going to support the club because the club changed the logo?

When Cardiff City rebranded in 2012 that eventually happened. But they had a complete rebrand and change in identity. The bluebirds became red. The bluebird on the logo was replaced by a dragon. And the new logo was truly horrific.
That's not happened here. We're still going to be playing in red or white or black. We still have a Devils on our logo. We've just changed a constipated face-on one for a constipated side-on one.

I can remember when the Devils fanbase was truly divided. Protests. Boycotts. But that was about players not getting paid or treated correctly. Personally, that's what I associate the soul of the club with more than a crappy logo.
I'm not aware of any such protests being planned this year? I saw a couple of people on here post that they were going to get a CCFC season ticket instead (oh the irony) and I've seen a couple of people change their twitter profile picture to the old logo.
But that is it isn't it?
Steve King has said that merchandise sales are actually up so far this year. And whilst I'm not that fussed on the logo even I have to admit it looks pretty good on some merchandise. It didn't look great on the jersey picture I saw but maybe that was because it wasn't hanging right. With padding etc hopefully it will look better.

And if the logo is driving fans away, it looks like those fans are being quickly replaced. I just had a look at getting tickets for my wife and niece for the Belfast game and it's not far off being a sell-out. Most blocks only have a handful of single seats left.

It would be interesting to see another poll run once the season has started, but with a third option of "Don't care/Not bothered"
It's an interesting thing about the merch sales being up. I wonder what the actual figures are. Could it just possibly be that the merch has been available in greater variety, earlier that it has in some other years?

Kevlar68

Thread starter #165
Any spin can be put on sales as none of us would know any difference but I'm sure that shirts will sell but by the end of the season would be the real numbers.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #167
I don't think the logo will be the main contributing factor for sales numbers the cost of living crisis is hitting people hard so a new jersey would be the last thing on people's wishlist.

doron

i think the club has been in good hand since the owners took charge.
the couch last season , i can see why they did it , put it didnt work.
i do not like the look of the new merchandise , and i hope it only ends up for one season (for me the club identaty has been damaged, change the logo by all means but to this come on? )
pete r , is a great couch for the owners to have got onboard , and i like the look of the team, all in all i think the owner have done a great job, (just a pitty about the logo)

kingmo19.1

i think the club has been in good hand since the owners took charge.
the couch last season , i can see why they did it , put it didnt work.
i do not like the look of the new merchandise , and i hope it only ends up for one season (for me the club identaty has been damaged, change the logo by all means but to this come on? )
pete r , is a great couch for the owners to have got onboard , and i like the look of the team, all in all i think the owner have done a great job, (just a pitty about the logo)
You reminded me, I need to go to Sofa's Direct this afternoon :)

I don't like the new logo at all. I thought the old one was perfect.
It won't affect my support for the team but unfortunately it will affect my merch expenditure. I just don't want to spend out money on something I don't like the look of. Seems a shame it's such an issue but to part with my hard-earned £ I'll want something I like the look of.

Status
Not open for further replies.