Devils Vs Storm - League - 9th March 23 - 19:30 FO

Poor poor game tonight. Not sure about anyone else, but if my bosses turned up at my job, I would go out of my way to have the game of my life. That was obviously lost on some of the players tonight.

PP is abysmal. Again with the trying to walk the puck into the net. IT. ISN'T. WORKING.

I feel like I was watching beer league at times tonight. Just go out there and play, with no real gameplan. I can't work out what we are trying to do.

Last edited:
Tonight was painful to watch. The Devils owners hopefully saw just how poor this team is capable of performing. A game the Devils “should” have been more than capable of winning, but Fair play to Manchester they chased, hassled, and out skated the Devils and fully deserve their 2 points.

When the coach keeps sending out his first two lines (I think they were each out 11 or 12 shifts in the 3rd period) don’t be surprised when they have little left to give late on in the third when chasing the game - whilst for some reason Waller appeared to be benched from the second period (don’t know what’s gone on there), benching a player for 2 periods in a professional hockey league tells you a lot about the poor player management skills of the coach - if your going to dress players, you play them.

The Devils PP is so predictable, someone else has previously said Jeremy Brodeur appeared to know exactly where to be, and he did, the Devils were as easy to read as a Janet and John book. The puck movement was so slow and completely predictable. Passes to shooters were quite often on the receiving players backhand or behind the player receiving - if BD needs to know how to get the PP working again, he simply needs to revisit the video of the tip-tap-toe goals that the PP lines were scoring earlier in the season. when facing a hot goalie, you can’t shoot through him, so you have to make him move - tonight our PP resembled statues - bloody awful!

Tonight’s game was on television so there were Power Breaks, which BD chose not to use as an effective Time out in each period - instead he uses up the games one time out when needing to chase the game and effectively says “well boys we need a goal what do you suggest we do?”

Very much hoping the owners will have got a better understanding of where the major issues with the team lies and for most people, it isn’t with the players…

matbur

Shambles. I thought our tempo was good for the first 10/15 minutes (as you’d expect with the owners in town) but Storm were the better team in the 2nd and we were toothless in the third.

The Powerplay? Dear god. 9th in the league is an embarrassment for Dupont and for the players. I appreciate that a few players have lost their confidence but some of these players must be handsomely paid (for this level) and you simply need them to perform. That’s why they’re on the PP for a top 5 team and not Fife or Dundee.

I’ve stuck up for Dupont many times this season but our PP is 9th and penalty kill is 6th. The players deserve criticism for that but you have to question the coaching as well. We persist with Reid or Sanford on the one timer from the off wing (usually a ridiculous angle) and it’s clearly not working. Goalies know what’s coming week in week out.
Very fair assessment. Confidence is clearly an issue and execution is sorely lacking which falls on the coaching staff.

The warning signs were there from the first period in which we had just one goal to show for dominating early on before fading.

Based on current performances, our league position is very misleading and it's good that the owners witnessed this first hand.

I'm coming to the conclusion that a couple of big decisions will need to be made over the summer to move the team forwards again, and if we can see the issues, then the owners, sure as hell, will be able to.

I wouldn't read too much into their pre-game comments either way, they're not going to be too critical of anyone on a public forum. They're no mugs.

Last edited:
Poor poor game tonight. Not sure about anyone else, but if my bosses turned up at my job, I would go out of my way to have the game of my life. That was obviously lost on some of the players tonight.

PP is abysmal. Again with the trying to walk the puck into the net. IT. ISN'T. WORKING.

I feel like I was watching beer league at times tonight. Just go out there and play, with no reason gameplan. I can't work out what we are trying to do.
For some reason tonight I kept on having flash backs to the 2011 -2012 Season with Jeff pierce. Scraping results to stay near the top of the table but in turn masking some pretty poor performances. Having players that have the ability to be game changers on their own but going missing too much too often.

august04 2.0

I consider the best coaches to be able to devise special teams strategies, to be a leader that players will be motivated by and to be able to change game strategy when things aren’t going well and other ideas are needed. One other comment from the owners at the Q & A - “lines 1 and 4 are playing well but we're still trying to find the right combinations for lines 2 or 3”, words to that effect anyway. Note to owners, we're nearly at the end of the bloody season!! Our special teams has gone downhill as the season has continued, to the point when the PP is an embarrassment. I’d rather we stayed 5 on 5 instead of having a PP, it’s that bad. These players are clearly not playing for DuPont, and our play has become stale and easy for other teams to work out. And the owners back DuPont like that?! Next season, it will be the same again if he’s around, I’m sure. A complete borefest shitshow.

Last edited:

CaldicotDevil

The owners might say one thing but you look on social media, inferno and boos after the game. The fan base has seen enough of Dupoint hockey and is starting to turn.

Ironically if the Devils asked ST holders if they want Dupoint back next year, the percentage that say yes will probably be as low as our PP.

jenks33

If they’re going to have the balls to keep Dupont then I hope they’ve got the balls to let him recruit the team he wants.
It was difficult last summer. By the time Dupont was announced as full time coach Todd and Franny would have decided who they wanted back, plus Bowns, Jardine, Martin were clearly their calls. No excuses this summer tho. If you’re going to back him let him pick his players.

Diafol

I didn't boo but I understand why people would.

Frustrations with this team have obviously boiled over and what better time to show it:

1 When the owners are in town
2 When the game is live on TV
3 After watching sub-standard performances for much of the season, coming to a head with this evening's events.

A "perfect storm" if you like.

MA18

In a way I’m glad the owners were in town to watch the dross we’ve had to put up with this season.
Definitely wasn’t worth a 50 mile round trip, half hour wait to get in the car park, half hour wait to get out of the car park and walking through the door at close to 11pm on a school night.
We offered nothing! Not starting Louis and playing Reid who is awful is almost as bad coaching decision and benching Brandt a few Saturdays ago.
I’m sure the owners had to be positive in the Q&A but clear to see DuPont is out of ideas and just not god enough - not cheap either with wages and a big family.
Completely failed to get anything going all night, Coughler getting boarded from behind instigates nothing, clear the PP is dreadful, poor rebound control from Bowns. Brandt, Duggan and Davies punching above their weight, most others couldn’t even it a show on for the owners.
A night to forget for sure.

In a way I’m glad the owners were in town to watch the dross we’ve had to put up with this season.

Definitely wasn’t worth a 50 mile round trip, half hour wait to get in the car park, half hour wait to get out of the car park and walking through the door at close to 11pm on a school night.

We offered nothing! Not starting Louis and playing Reid who is awful is almost as bad coaching decision and benching Brandt a few Saturdays ago.

I’m sure the owners had to be positive in the Q&A but clear to see DuPont is out of ideas and just not god enough - not cheap either with wages and a big family.

Completely failed to get anything going all night, Coughler getting boarded from behind instigates nothing, clear the PP is dreadful, poor rebound control from Bowns. Brandt, Duggan and Davies punching above their weight, most others couldn’t even it a show on for the owners.

A night to forget for sure.
I wonder if Louis is injured as he didn't come back after the 1st period after his fight with gagnon in Nottingham a few weeks ago.

Maybe he's hurt his hand again.

RedDevil17

I was surprised by that. This isn't football, no place for booing your team off the ice.
Utter bullshit. As paying customers fans have the right to boo particularly after a poor performance like that. It’s been like that for weeks and paying £500 or so for a season ticket (most expensive in the league by the way) you’d expect the players to give 100% and play to their ability. Only ones who gave a damn tonight were the Brits, Brandt and Penny.

kingmo19.1

Roll on the end of this absolutely torturous season! This team has never clicked since day one and never seems to have clicked with the fanbase. Our league position flatters us, we show glimpses of brilliance then swing totally to looking abysmal and clueless. I hate watching this team this season and have hardly enjoyed a single game!

I think I’m done for the rest of the season as it’s just a continual case of rinse and repeat with tactics and enthusiasm!

E.D.S.

Those people that say “what are you moaning about, the team had a four point weekend” and “at this stage of the season performances don’t matter”…. Unfortunately this is why “people moan”. Without performances, there isn’t a foundation or consistency. Consistency is what you need at this stage of the season. A reliance on special teams, tactics and marquee players to get you out of trouble. That’s what is required. What happened tonight is what’s been happening for the majority of the season.
For the owners to blindly back DuPont (which to be fair, they have to, they aren’t going to say he’s sacked next year) doesn’t worry me as I’m hoping they are deeply concerned in the background. It’s the “tweak the team” comment that’s concerning.