Devils Vs steelers - League - 15th Oct 22

E.D.S.

mmm I don’t buy it personally. He’s often out of position. throwing himself around, looks great on a highlight reel… he often lands with his face facing play and his head in the net taking a few seconds to reset. I like him, he did great for us, we should have left it there.
I think we're saying the same thing

No one mentioning, how poor Batch was once again, he is stealing a living at the moment. If he was an import he would be long gone.
He doesn't finish hits,zero aggression and totally out paced.
Few yeas ago he was a beast,hit everything and the best fighter in the league. I want this Batch back

E.D.S.

Brittain didn’t ice in the 2nd and 3rd did he? Must be injured. Would explain his average start for us.
Yep something isn't right there. If it's an injury then sit him out until he's fully fit. This is supposed to be pro sport. Not fair on him, the team or the fans if he's struggling.

august04 2.0

I’d have Mac bacK in a heartbeat, him and Kozun compliment each other better and you could see a better dynamic. I’d put up with his pitfalls for better performances…and my heart health.
Oh absolutely. It was a terrible decision to let him go, just for a more harmonious dressing room. There might be a better atmosphere in the room this year, who knows, but we won’t be winning anything. Give me a goalie who is demanding and detests losing any day of the week.

Hedd Wyn John

Why didn’t we get physical, that last 2 periods was men against boys, can’t wait for Belfast
Steelers dominated physically, they were faster, always getting on net & their work rate was huge. Constant pressure, they could read the Devils moves & knew exactly what to do to force a turnover etc. In the end Devils were making desperate passes & losing the puck.

CaldicotDevil

Great game to watch despite the result.

Steerers forecheck caused us problems all night, it was immense. They look like one hell of a team.

My main concern is Dupoint. When things aren’t working he struggles to adjust. He’s getting outcoached a lot this season. Our PPs been dire for weeks and we’re still trying the same things we were against Guildford. We never seem like we’ve got a plan B. I know he’s a young coach and only going to better but I do worry it was too big a step up. Hope I’m proven wrong.

We need to make a call on Brittain too. If he’s injured we need cover, so he can recover. I applaud him for playing injured but it’s hurting the team playing him

Hedd Wyn John

The thing was though halfway through the second Sheffield adjusted their game and we didn't seem to be able to do the same.

There's a lot of small issues that I'm seeing. Things like bowns getting off balance and so having to flop over to recover, point men on the pp having their feet out off position so they don't get a fast release and a lack of movement in the zone.
They never seem ready to receive a pass which comes their way on the PP

Last edited:
The goaltending situation is an odd one this year. In previous seasons having a Brit netminder has afforded us the opportunity to ice an extra import out skater. Which given our success could be argued was a distinct advantage over the other teams in the league. This year we have an import back-up who effectively takes up that advantage sat on the bench. Is that a recruitment error? Should we look at a Brit back-up for the games Bowns starts and bring in an extra import? The problem then is you need to scratch an out-skating Brit to meet the roster size limits. Starting Kouzon would mean dropping an import out-skater, the back-up Brit goalie in favour of Bowns as back-up and bringing the outskaing Brit back in to the lineup. Maybe the makeup of the team just isn’t quite right this year?

jenks33

We haven’t got major problems, but we're not looking like a team who are going to win silverware either. Maybe we just need to settle for that? That’s one for Steve King and the ownership group I suppose….
Or we make some difficult decisions and change a couple of players now and maybe then we can compete for trophies. This team, as it stands now, won’t be challenging for anything meaningful anyway. We could nick a short play off series again though I suppose and most would be happy.
I appreciate this will sound like an overreaction after a defeat but I’m not sure I’ve looked at us as title winners from day one. I think we’re a top 3 team that could win the CC or play offs (play offs look more likely at the moment). I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, we re-signed too many of last seasons roster. I get why that happened after winning the play offs. You win the play offs and suddenly you forget about the league season. I think 2 or 3 players have returned that possibly didn’t deserve to be here though.

moggy#9

I appreciate this will sound like an overreaction after a defeat but I’m not sure I’ve looked at us as title winners from day one. I think we’re a top 3 team that could win the CC or play offs (play offs look more likely at the moment). I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, we re-signed too many of last seasons roster. I get why that happened after winning the play offs. You win the play offs and suddenly you forget about the league season. I think 2 or 3 players have returned that possibly didn’t deserve to be here though.
Yes, and I said appointing Dupont as coach on the basis of winning the play offs was a mistake. Both of us were criticised for our opinions. No doubt by morning the happy clappers will be back to do the same again.

Devils86

I won't throw the baby out with the bath water because of one awful display, making an average Steelers side look decent. I always try and stay level headed, but boy do I hate those Orange (there's no polite word I can use here).

We had better batter Flames tomorrow.

1st period was a great period of hockey from both sides and Bowns played a blinder.

What the hell happened after that?!

Yes PP was ineffective, again (get Lord on Zoom ffs, it's not hard). We had some OK play at times at it felt like the desire was there until it all fell apart after the penalty shot.

Whilst I hate them I have to say the Orange were worth the points - they are always dangerous on the counter or PP. Few typical Orange scummy things to do - the usual away day "oh my NM helmet has come off" type BS and the random 1 in 100 amazing pass from D to set up the penalty shot.

(Is it just me who hates Orange trilby hats? It's an away match, Sharon, not a hen party!)

I think I could respect the Orange team if it wasn't for their fans, arrogant, whoosh its behind you, bringing your own goalhorn....

I won't comment on the stripes. Friend of mine spotted that we were called for having too many men when we had pulled Bowns on a delayed penalty....stripe spots 6, arm goes up. FML. Would be funny but these people are the best we have got?! Maybe Dubeau had the right idea.

As others have said we'll see if this roster has the ability to put a consistent league run together - we are now 1-1 with the Orange. The time for judging the coaching is at the end of the season - or when it's clear we are just another participant, rather than a contender. This team have shown ONCE AGAIN (that like under Skalde) they obviously think that turning up at the end of the season is enough.

There are no nights off in the UK. We are on the verge of being eliminated from a cup competition we have consistently done well In for god knows how long; and 3rd or 4th in the league is not good enough. It's all well and good celebrating sticking 8 or 6 passed lower league sides, but it still only gets you 2 points.

It's early days this season - but a lot of these guys haven't learned from last year. Playoff winning is great, love it, but let's not paper over the cracks.

Beat a terrible Clan, a few decent wins here and there, and get stuffed routinely in the cup - to then turn up and not care for 2 periods against the Orange. Have a word. I'm sure Kelman will. Only fella that seems to earn his wage this season is Brandt - if only he'd take a few Orange heads off.

That level of performance and result against a rival is not acceptable. Being beaten by an impressive rival is one thing - but capitulating to the Orange is another. Twitter will be full of their over inflated egos until the next PR disaster that comes their way.

No point saying that Giants will walk the league yet. An unproductive CHL campaign mixed with walking a CC group filled with the Scots sides....long way to go.

On another note, we seem to have gone from having 2 top lines last season (Sandford,Cougler,Cox; Crandall,Dixon,Reid) to mixing Cox, Sandford and one of Cougler/Martin....

Crandall and Reid have disappeared and seem to miss Mr Dixon.

Overall, I started by saying that I wouldn't overreact - well I have. I just hate those orange [people] so much.

Hopefully it's a blip. But last season's performance coupled with our 'could t care less' attitude about the cup, doesn't fill me with confidence.

Sort it out Devils

Wannabe2

With you there big time, plus two poor new signings and I mean new signings.

Devils86

The goaltending situation is an odd one this year. In previous seasons having a Brit netminder has afforded us the opportunity to ice an extra import out skater. Which given our success could be argued was a distinct advantage over the other teams in the league. This year we have an import back-up who effectively takes up that advantage sat on the bench. Is that a recruitment error? Should we look at a Brit back-up for the games Bowns starts and bring in an extra import? The problem then is you need to scratch an out-skating Brit to meet the roster size limits. Starting Kouzon would mean dropping an import out-skater, the back-up Brit goalie in favour of Bowns as back-up and bringing the outskaing Brit back in to the lineup. Maybe the makeup of the team just isn’t quite right this year?
Weird thing is that when you look at the recruitment across the league for NMs, before we started we thought we had the best duo

ASHIPP

I’d have Mac bacK in a heartbeat, him and Kozun compliment each other better and you could see a better dynamic. I’d put up with his pitfalls for better performances…and my heart health.
He was certainly a clutch player for Devils last season. As was Register. Who on this year's roster is doing that atm?