Devils vs Sheffield - 14/12 6pm FO - Chat/Updates

thedevil#666 said:
Jonas-Smith said:
thedevil#666 said:
6 of one half a dozen of the other in my opinon.
Maybe so but deffo was a bit much.. any ways lets move on.. deffo up for a road trip to squeelers land.. would be great if we could get a few coachs to give the boys some support!
could somebody send me details about ths coach trip as i and my girlfriend are definatly interested

message bob the driver about it he is setting up the trip with a coach

There's not much more to be said about Lehman and Sharpe......until we get the official, definitive pronouncements from the Sheffield Star, Tod Kelman, Paul Thomson etc.

But what really got to me throughout Sunday's match was once again Jonathan Phillips constant whinging and whining, at great length to the referee, after every Steelers' penalty and before many face-offs. He has now surpassed Ashley Tait in this. Cloutman, in the past, has been the only referee who tires of this non-stop petty whinging and tells the offending player (whether captain or not) in no uncertain terms, to get on with the game.

Jonathan Phillips, ex-Devil (thank goodness).....now a true SQUEALER !

......and before someone asks.....NO I WOULDN'T HAVE HIM BACK !

Rempel16

schulersagoodun said:

Agreed, he's lost a lot of respect from me since he moved north and is certainly one player that i wouldn't like to see back in a Devils shirt.

The so called incident by the away bench is being blown out of proportion, i cant recall any glasses being thrown.... The only time people were pushing the barrier was as the steelers were coming off smiling, making hand gestures etc!!!!! I think the fans acted accordingly given the circumstances and heat of the moment!!!! Jona came off the ice looking disgusted at what happened in all fairness..... Agree with the comment about him turning in to a whining squealer, captain leading by example i suppose!!!! Ps a few sheffield players gave as good as they got!!!!

Jonas-Smith said:
thedevil#666 said:
who are you on about jonas?
sheffield or devils fans?
Devils fans mainly the small group congregated by the away bench at the end of the match trying to get over the barriers to get at the players.. throwing hand guestures.. empty glass or two and loads of foul language
They were only reacting in EXACTLY the same way as jody lehman,only minutes earlier had done to them!!! Hand gestures (jody did) empty glasses (not exactly but jody threw a water bottle) and foul language (jody again guilty of this,maybe not spoken but his hand gesture can only mean one word).

I don't condone the fans attempting to get at the players at all,this is a professional sport and is there for the paying publics enjoyment,last night they certainly had their moneys worth,but jody's gestures were aimed at every single devils fan in the building and they had a right to be angry.

I have been reliably informed that the video evidence which the Devils now have is extremely clear, leaves nothing in doubt and will be very damning to the Steelers organisation, Sharp in particular.
To the extent that it is possible Sharp will never play in this country again. i think that means unless they start a hockey league in Lebanon or Afghanistan that his career could be over.

Rempel16 said:
schulersagoodun said:

Agreed, he's lost a lot of respect from me since he moved north and is certainly one player that i wouldn't like to see back in a Devils shirt.
I'd like to echo this, i wouldn't want him back in a million years, as far as i'm concerned he is tarred with the same Sheffield brush. I think we will keep Phil Hill instead thanks, this guy doesn't moan he just gets on with the job in hand unlike Phillips Tait etc. And also Dave Matsos, i've lost all respect for this bloke and i used to like him aswell.

Gazza272

Really disagreeing with some of the comments about jona he can whinge and moan all he wants. Top quality british player which are a rareity and would give us 110% if he came back here.

Yes, he is a very good British player but I wouldnt want him back, but thats just my opinion..

Just to clarify two in accurate comments, threads on the forum which continue to irritate me..

There has been more than enough written about Jody Lehman’s un sportsman like behaviour on all the forums and I envisaged the Elite League officials will look into it this..

Me, I didn’t like his actions on Sunday but I still think he’s an outstanding netminder and everybody knows he’s a windup merchant but he’s not an idiot. He did throw a water bottle at the end of the game, but he threw it to his equipment manager stood behind the away bench, not into the crowd. I suggest everyone should watch the video clip again..

And secondly what’s all this rubbish being written about the devils fans stood at the barriers beside the away bench, shouting and swearing, acting like football hooligans? It was an emotional game and both sets of players and supporters got caught up in the heat of the moment. How did anyone seriously expect some of the crowd to react?

Any passionate sports fan would recognise this, and to be fair the devils supporters were incensed by the actions and reactions of some of the Sheffield players and the devils fans unavoidably got caught up in the heat of the moment (..I know I did).

There was some “strong” language but nobody was pushing and or tried to get over the barriers beside the away bench, I didn’t see anything and I was watching closely from above. It takes two to Tango in my opinion and to be fair some of the Sheffield players gave as good as they got (..which I would expect).

These sort of incident happens at all the other ice rinks, have you been to a game in Sheffield or Coventry and seen how their supporters behave, especially those stood behind the devils bench? Never mind, ice hockey fans across the UK can all get very emotional about an incident that happens on the ice but most of them (99%) are sensible enough to realise you don’t climb any barriers to fight hockey players!! lol

And finally can I please finish on a positive..

I would like praise the security staff and stewards that were stood by the barriers beside the away bench. They could have easily over reacted, but they realised that some of the players and supporters were getting caught up in the heat of the moment, it was just a standoff situation with players and fans shouting and jeering at each other, everything was under control in my opinion (..and I do have qualifications in crowd safety management before anyone asks) so long as nobody did anything silly. Everybody realised (..the official’s, both team captains and coaches) that as soon as both sets of players got off the ice into the changing rooms, and out of sight then everyone’s tempers should begin too cool and settle down..

And I would therefore like to take this opportunity to congratulate the security staff for their level headed approach in a very volatile and dynamic situation..

Rgards,
Andrew

Currently in between jobs..

Sadly I missed the game but knew something like this was on the cards. The really sad thing in my opinion is that Sharpe getting a ban, be it a game, 20 games or for life, doesn't really mean anything to anyone. Will it stop Squeelers winning the league? No. Does it hurt them even a fraction as much as a 7-game ban for Voth, or even a game penalty for MacIvor within the first 2 seconds of a game hurts us? No! That's the main reason why so many people hate the Squeelers so much! Even having the knuckle dragging goon dress for an elite game brings the whole league into disrepute! I only hope we have seen the back of him.

A ban for Lehman on the other hand could be a significant turning point in the league. My guess is they are already frantically re-writing the rule book to ensure this doesn't happen.

James

Administrator
andrew said:
Me, I didn’t like his actions on Sunday but I still think he’s an outstanding netminder and everybody knows he’s a windup merchant but he’s not an idiot. He did throw a water bottle at the end of the game, but he threw it to his equipment manager stood behind the away bench, not into the crowd. I suggest everyone should watch the video clip again..
I don't think anyone is questioning his ability as a netminder. He is very, very, good. If the bottle was thrown to the bench a) he's a crap shot and b) why did he feel the need to apologise in the press.

andrew said:
He did throw a water bottle at the end of the game, but he threw it to his equipment manager stood behind the away bench, not into the crowd. I suggest everyone should watch the video clip again..
I think you have this a bit wrong - Jody looks at the crowd as he throws the water bottle - and it hit the Acorn Board - which is many feet away from and above the equipment manager...so you may wanna check your clip again ;-)

andrew said:
He did throw a water bottle at the end of the game, but he threw it to his equipment manager stood behind the away bench, not into the crowd. I suggest everyone should watch the video clip again..
Hmmm why throw a bottle when he was going past there anyway..? If he was throwing to the equipment manager, either his contact lenses are waaaaaaaaaaay off and we should have scored 10, he has a p*ss poor aim, or he meant to do what he did. I think the latter!

Wannabe2

This has to be nipped in the bud, this club has spent many many years building up a reputation as a good honest place for families of all ages to enjoy our great sport, yes all clubs will have a small minority of mindless people, but all of us are duty bound to report any mindless behaviour by a few morons who do nothing else but bring down this great clubs reputation. We have superb new owners, a off ice team who are working there butts off for our match night entertainment, and a team capable of beating anyone. This behaviour by a mindless few must stop, and it must stop now, for all our sakes.

Koop11 said:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sports/sports-news-round-up/2008/12/17/ice-hockey-devils-will-leave-any-action-to-elite-chiefs-91466-22493902/
I would think that's just Shannon's public stance on it. He's quite rightly trying to difuse things publicly. Notice the marked difference between this and Steelers witch hunts gone by. He's not mentioned the gestures or throwing of the water bottle (the offences that are likely to lead to the most lengthy bans for Jody)and Sharp is bang to rights anyway.

The video evidence speaks for itself, so won't need Shannon embelishing it. He say's it's being left to the league, so I would imagine the club is pretty confident in the evidence it has. After all, the article does say that Jody is facing extra disciplinary action, but he didn't get a match penalty at the time, which I assume can only mean we've taken it to the league.