Devils vs Sheffield - 14/12 6pm FO - Chat/Updates

Niedermayer said:
http://www.sheffieldsteelers.co.uk/news/ar...article_id=2799

Jody and Finnerty defend Sharp! You could not make it up. Their words or Simms'- You decide!
Well if there was any doubt about the Steelers incompetence, unprofessionalism, and ultimately morals - this is it. A disgrace. :roll:

James

Administrator
Either way they could have picked better players to back Sharp up than the 2 players who are also implicated in the fracas the most.
Rumour is Cruickshank had this to say about Sharp and the game in general
"I really love the Basingstoke fans, they are a great bunch of guys."

Niedermayer said:

Jody and Finnerty defend Sharp! You could not make it up. Their words or Simms'- You decide!
Reading between the lines I think they both know he is deep in the brown stuff ;)

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #85
Kind of what Phil says, sounds like a press release od desperation.

The **** is about to hit the fan, it's all damage limitation now.

Chris.

zoesdevil

i cant believe they are even trying to defend him,he hit an official with a stick and maciver i the back two handed,if he doesn't get a bigger ban than what voth got for a minor slash then we definately know how deep the steelers owners pockets are,even lehman only got a 10 minute pen after starting it all when he could of started a riot with the fans with what he did?

James

Administrator
nice point I hadn't noticed till just now. If you look at the BBC footage, Jarvis clearly makes a point of pulling Sharps jersey right off. I assume that's the game equipment penalty he got, same call as Hicks made on Mac last time. Not quite as beneficial as it was to the Steelers against MacIver last time but made me chuckle.

mazza03

Niedermayer said:

All I get is and ERROR message have they put a stop to it then? :roll:

And as for Sharp being almost in the dressing room! What a load of tosh :x

Mooney#16

Just to try and settle this down and bring a bit of balance to all this but people have to move away from the blind rage towards the steelers and analyse the incident itself.

The Devils have been playing very well in reality the last few games in some tough circumstances with missing players and illness. They've more than out played both coventry and sheffield but have been undone by the class a few extra quid can get you in a player. The work ethic is exemplary.

Last night they just came up against a hot goal tender who had a very good game. Theres no shame in that. They lost 0-2 thats all.

As for said incidents well it was a physical game all night with the devils far and a way the better team from that perspective. So Voth tried to get under lehmans skin with an elbow. Lehman reacted with a punch. Voth gave one back. The crowd got at him. Jody gave a bit back. Penalties insued. Not really a big deal.

MacIver comes out to have words and at worst drop the gloves with some one. Cruikshank lines up opposite. Puck drop slight push nothing really happens. Lines man has MacIver whilst Lehman has a chat. Not really a big deal again and game over.

Now I don't believe Matsos or anyone else had anything to do with this. Sharp jumps the bench with stick and attempts to slash/spear MacIver in side of head. This is a deliberate attempt to injure. He hits linesman by mistake but as he is in control of stick he is bang to rights. Intention aside you slashed an official in the face so he commited what can only be descibed as possibly the worst thing you could ever do in hockey. Then grabs Jarvis who actually for first few seconds tries not to fight then decides to go. Fight insues they all fall down. Major Incidents over. Peripheral action takes place with other fight and a lot more besides and for his part matsos and gillies retrained sharp on the bench when he tried to go again.

Now let no one here say they didn't enjoy watching it or they didn't react in some way. The reason i enjoy hockey is the passion that surrounds it not the mundane spectacle that can be football or other sports. A few players making gestures, some strong words even some punches thrown is no big deal to me. I know I've done the same in similar situations on the ice but the true reality is from last night it wasn't the steelers who caused it. It wasn't the devils who caused it but one person alone over stepped the boundaries of hockey and that was Sharp.

The condemnation should be resticted to Sharp alone and everything else left in the past as you don't want one bad apple to sour the whole league and sport but this guy doesn't know the bounderies or even worse obey the code that exists between players so he's got to go. League officials take notice if you want to retain whats left of quite frankly your poor reputation.

The above by mooney#16 is a very well put together post but i don't agree with your view to sharp being the only one responsible. Jody Lehman started the whole incident,lets not forget that. Is inciting a crowd and throwing a bottle into the crowd the actions of a not guilty party? I think not!

Wannabe2

mp43 said:
The above by mooney#16 is a very well put together post but i don't agree with your view to sharp being the only one responsible. Jody Lehman started the whole incident,lets not forget that. Is inciting a crowd and throwing a bottle into the crowd the actions of a not guilty party? I think not!
And you are spot on, the one person who incited all this lot without a shadow of doubt was Lehman. This constitutes a very lengthy ban, and should be treated in the same manner which beset Voth. Rant over.

Mooney#16

I have to admit i didn't see a water bottle thrown by Lehman so i'm merely calling it how i saw it which is unfortunately how its going to get judged by the league as i doubt Hicksie saw it from the bottom of the pile and him not getting a more severe penalty. Hence i think setting your mind on a witch hunt for lehman to get banned may be wishful thinking. However even by lehmans actions can any of us say we'd condemn Aubry if he did the same up there. I doubt it as people would make excuses of heat of the moment and what harm is really done by a motion or drop of water etc. Point being it wasn't exactly getting out of hand despite the high emotion until one guy decided he wanted to put his stick in another guys face. That is what changed it. Watch the video. Not even a punch thrown untill that point.

What i don't want to happen and what is happening is that ice hockey gets labelled by this incident as a skill less sport for thugs. The fact is it doesn't get good coverage until some plonker loses it and a brawl insues with an official injured. We as more knowledgable people on the sport have to stand up to condemn the guy and point out this isn't hockey not draw the whole sport into the public eye for the wrong reasons.

Wannabe2

Mooney#16 said:
I have to admit i didn't see a water bottle thrown by Lehman so i'm merely calling it how i saw it which is unfortunately how its going to get judged by the league as i doubt Hicksie saw it from the bottom of the pile and him not getting a more severe penalty. Hence i think setting your mind on a witch hunt for lehman to get banned may be wishful thinking. However even by lehmans actions can any of us say we'd condemn Aubry if he did the same up there. I doubt it as people would make excuses of heat of the moment and what harm is really done by a motion or drop of water etc. Point being it wasn't exactly getting out of hand despite the high emotion until one guy decided he wanted to put his stick in another guys face. That is what changed it. Watch the video. Not even a punch thrown untill that point.

What i don't want to happen and what is happening is that ice hockey gets labelled by this incident as a skill less sport for thugs. The fact is it doesn't get good coverage until some plonker loses it and a brawl insues with an official injured. We as more knowledgable people on the sport have to stand up to condemn the guy and point out this isn't hockey not draw the whole sport into the public eye for the wrong reasons.
What we would think if it was Aubry dont mean sod all, its what is written in the rule book that matters, rules are there to be carried out, and one Brad Voth found that out, and the league set a presedent by there actions, and now they have to live by them. Players throwing objects of any kind into the crowd is a definate no no, they know that, the clubs know that, and the league knows that, this action needs to be treated in the proper manner otherwise whats the point in it all. Lehman should be banned for a very long time, no one should be above the rules of the league, what goes around comes around end of.

Mooney#16

I agree wholeheartedly with what you say but its just not going to happen if the officials didn't see it and if there's no video he won't get banned. To that end i'm afraid the witch hunt won't serve a purpose other than to deflect attention.

Mooney#16 said:
I have to admit i didn't see a water bottle thrown by Lehman so i'm merely calling it how i saw it which is unfortunately how its going to get judged by the league as i doubt Hicksie saw it from the bottom of the pile
The league can't judge like this!

There were at cameras there from at least 3 different sources last night (and i don't mean people recording on there phones). The guy who was filming at the bar end of the rink had all of lehmans actions on film and was real pleased with his job. I'm sure this will be passed onto the devils who will in turn pass it onto the elite league who will in turn pass it onto uncle bob and "honest" dave to review!

Finny

mp43 said:
The league can't judge like this!

There were at cameras there from at least 3 different sources last night (and i don't mean people recording on there phones). The guy who was filming at the bar end of the rink had all of lehmans actions on film and was real pleased with his job. I'm sure this will be passed onto the devils who will in turn pass it onto the elite league who will in turn pass it onto uncle bob and "honest" dave to review!
And think that might well be what Wannabee was trying to hint at! ;)