Devils Vs Panthers - Sunday 25th Oct 2015 - 6pm - Chat/Updat

mazza03

Re: Devils Vs Panthers - Sunday 25th Oct 2015 - 6pm - Chat/U

voth26 said:
benh84 said:
I struggle to understand how people are moaning and saying we are not a patch on last years team when where sitting at the top of the league!?!?
I think people will take being on top of the league but are not happy because there doesn't seem to be the same free flowing exciting hockey we had last year, also we are not as physical with the hits and checks.
Hit the nail right on the head, last nights game was ........insert your own word, the times the puck was given away, we didn't win a face of until the third period. Yes we are winning but not well IMHO, and no I'm not a newbie been following the team for 25+ years.

BostonBart22

Agree with mazza kurka outstanding and gave everything he had in the tank, if it wasnt for bowns playing on his head kurka would have been m,o,m

jimmy snels

mazza03 said:
Ocko said:
I havent seen Kurka have a bad game yet.
He is one of our best players and my favorite he gives 110% every game.
Nothing he tried came off last night to be fair, my opinion is just based on last night. As I've said in previous game "analysis", he has been our stand out almost every week. Just not last night. I fancy nottingham gave him special attention and he coughed the puck up multiple times. He gave away a stupid slash that could have cost us as well in a lazy fashion. Just a singular bad night for him. Marsh though is our C and im really not sure he's warranting at the moment.

Having watched last nights game and the obvious difference between this years team and last years, I can't help but think the one player we are really missing is Matthew Myers. He is so good at winning face offs which immediately puts you in control of the puck, an area where we really seem to be struggling this year. He also appears so physically strong, goes into the dirty areas all night long, and isn't afraid to screen the netminder and be a general nuisance all night long. Was amazed when we didn't re sign him and nothing has changed to alter that opinion.

jimmy snels said:
mazza03 said:
Ocko said:
Nothing he tried came off last night to be fair, my opinion is just based on last night. As I've said in previous game "analysis", he has been our stand out almost every week. Just not last night. I fancy nottingham gave him special attention and he coughed the puck up multiple times. He gave away a stupid slash that could have cost us as well in a lazy fashion. Just a singular bad night for him. Marsh though is our C and im really not sure he's warranting at the moment.
To be fair to Kurka the lazy penalty was at the end of a double shift on a powerplay. As he looked to change Richie decoded to take the puck down the wing and Kurka had to follow to help retain the puck. By the time Nottingham broke away he was struggling and it looked to me as if he knew he couldn't keep up.

Devil_Abroad

mazza03 said:
Ocko said:
only been able to see one home game and the double header in Belfast and I'm afraid Kurka didn't shine. Quite often picks up the puck in D heading into centre ice but then turns back into D. When he has the puck and is motoring he looks great but hardly ever finds that great pass. I've seen a few games online and only once did I think he had a great game. As I mentioned before if he had the vision of Martin we'd have 2 game breakers.

Not sure sure what 110% means unless his 100% is only 91% in reality?

The team isn't clicking - passing isn't crisp - they did struggle for pace and stamina on the big ice in Belfast which worries me for post Christmas in the new Arena.

However they are laying their bodies on the line - they're grinding out results - and even against Capitals weren't out of it until late on.

I didn't see the game last night but Panthers have a solid line up so 2pts not playing well against them is a great result.

Hopefully they'll click soon and play some exciting hockey to entertain those currently disappointed

Keep the faith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KaneDevils

It is about opinion of course, but one saying a player was terrible and another saying he played out of his skin is a bit weird.

I said it at the time, Hendrikx and marsh could of been upgraded and should of moved on. Just my opinion
One player who doesn't seem to get mentioned much is doucet.

Sheincar

TBH I just feel something's not clicking. Don't really feel anyone's playing badly but not getting the bounces. Passes that little bit off, shots not quite at the right time, that 1 pass too many. Games are stressful but we are getting points. Maybe things will click when Cully is back.

Devil_Abroad

Doucet is a sniper - he's a Walton without the puck handling skills - think someone mentioned he'd do well with Martin - I agree but whilst that line continues to click Doucet needs Kurka to start picking him out or for a fully fit Culligan to come and find him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Kurka has been superb this season. If his line-mates had been half as quick and aware he'd probably have 15 or so assists by now!

Not sure what's happened to Doucet. Great start to the season but can't buy a goal at the moment. Could say the same for Haddad too at the minute.

Hopefully when Cully gets fit it will put a bit of pressure on some of the guys to dig in a little more!

Pity the lines haven't settled - we must have played almost 20 games now including friendlies so it's getting to be a bit of a worry. As we're in experimental mode, might even be worth chopping around the Lord/Martin/Mo line just to mix things up.

Yeah, yeah I know it works, but it's only Martin who is really putting up decent numbers on that line.

ASHIPP

Tomas flogs his guts out every game picking out players to pass to and setting up chances. It clearly benifitted Doucet and Haddad early on in the season....that line built a chemistry quickly. Doucet's effectivenes has declined since Tomas was moved to another line. As a sniper, Doucet needs the creativity of a player who can set him up with chances. Tomas is an expert at this.

The only line currently demonstrating a natural chemistry is last season's most effective line of Lord-Martin-Morisette.

Can't wait for Chris Culligan's return. Hopefully he is the missing element in the dilemma over line chemistry. Let' s hope it's not too long to wait.

jimmy snels

Agree doucet kurka and haddad is a much better combination. That leaves hervato, salters and walton, until culligan is fit anyhow! Just who misses out for culligan though.....

bb1

Got to say although Hendo has his moments of madness he really is a solid D man. He's playing his role in ensuring nobody takes liberties and on the puck he is very composed and serves up some amazing stretch passes to our forwards. He's not a scorer but IMO has contributed in his own way a lot more than some others. He's solid and is a team guy and will always stand up for his team mates and give the fans what they want!

Foxy

If and when Culigan gets match fit who do we drop though?

Hes an extra import

It's an odd situation. We are top of the league and selling out the rink and still not happy.
Seems crazy, but I partly feel underwhelmed too tbh.

To me it looks like things aren't clicking because everyone is playing within themselves. Yet we are still getting the results.

I am reminded though that last year after playing incredibly high energy physical hockey we won the Challenge Cup and then kind of "burnt out". I think one of the aims of this year woukd be to try to stop that happening. It's frustrating, but if that's it and we keep winning all season AND have enough energy for a Playoff campaign, I'm not going to complain.

Optimistic view....maybe, we shall see!

Wannabe2

This time last year we were 8th and came within a point of winning the league, who knows the secret of the Black Magic Box.