Devils Vs Panthers - Sunday 25th Oct 2015 - 6pm - Chat/Updat

Skippy

Thread starter #1

Sunday see's the Panthers hot of the back of a pair of losses last weekend head to Cardiff.

For some pre-game entertainment this weeks Inferno TV is available here https://youtu.be/G-n3_FmnQEM

Devils will have a web cast at the usual location of http://www.icetime.tv/

We will be running the 'ridiculously childish and disgustingly biased' Match Night Live service for this game as always expect name calling, slurs and bad jokes about keepers not being able to stop beach balls in epic proportions, at the usual location of http://www.the-inferno.co.uk/mnl

If you'd like to chip in with a comment or make a score prediction on the night you can contact us at matchnightlive@gmail.com

Texters are always needed so if you can help us out please get in touch by PM or text the MNL line on 07527 625206.

voth26

Re: Devils Vs Panthers - Sunday 25th Oct 2015 - 6pm - Chat/U

Sold out BBT for this game, tonight's game gone time to rock the tent, the guys are going to need the red army support

ASHIPP

A very very important game especially after tonight's result. Panthers are right behind the Devils in the League.

august04

I'll happily take 2 points but I thought Nottingham deserved the win. They outplayed and outhit us for the first two periods (fights are all well and good but a bit of a sideshow). In the 3rd, we started to up the physicality a little and got back into the game. I was critical of the Janssen signing but he would be a real asset in the BBT. He brings a physical presence and great energy to the Panthers forecheck, which we have been lacking (as was the case for long periods tonight too). It's a shame he didn't get more ice time in the third as I was quite enjoying watching him play.
We're top which is great but I still have reservations about this team. For me Salters is still not bringing enough to the party (although he woke up in the 3rd period tonight). Both goalies were great tonight too and the win was down to Bowns for me.

We stole 2 points there tonight when we didn't even deserve 1, we were awful for 99% of that game and ended up with 2 points

Really hard to know what to think about this team so far, top of the league but I've been coming away from games feeling totally unimpressed, it's a really strange feeling to have when we're winning :shock: :?

ASHIPP

Devils got out of jail tonight against a Panthers team who dominated for two periods of the game.
That win is really down to the ability and composure of Ben Bowns who stopped that score looking like the Edinburgh result. Well done Ben - truly outstanding.

The Guys are not at their best at the moment but are grinding out wins. Would say that is a combination of improved teams (look at tonight's score. How many games won by 1 goal), our players' injuries and several players off the boil right now. Concerns about 2 or 3 individual performances but the team is getting the results.

Panthers look like league champions with crisp flowing pssing, fast transition and great defence. Corey still wondering what they need to do to win down here.

bb1

Hate to say this but I agree. We didn't deserve a point. Bownsey however deserved the 2pts on his own. IMO we are where we are so far this season because of him pulling out some big performances. We could easily be 5th.

Tonight I thought Hendo set the tone for us but after he fought Janssen the panties upped the physicality and we seemed to take it...we need to be more pro active.

As far as I was concerned we had zero forechecking and put little pressure on their D. Salters yet again is floating around like a lost puppy. With all the altercations in the game he had no involvement and showed no intimidation for who people say is 'toughest in league' he's reminding me a bit of Westgarth. Turning up now and again. It's not good enough for a big power forward.

Having said all that we are winning and are 2nd. It's just frustrating as I really feel we have not got out of 2nd gear. There are some guys who have a lot more to give. Hopefully when they do we will be untouchable

jimmy snels

Strange game! Some players were playing out their skins (lord morrisette richie hudson and especially bowns), others were terrible (marsh and kurka particularly!) Panthers passing was slicker, there D was tighter (in fact i would say best D I've watched all year) & thought we did exactly what we had to and stood up for ourselves as the forechecking was relentless and aggressive by them.

Marsh and hendrikx on D is a nightmare. They give the puck away, dont clear the zone, miss hits and positionally poor. They cant stay together IMO.

Bownsy made some cracking saves last night. Deserved MOM.

Crowd really got going that last period, once that goal went in we looked like the likely winner as the teams confidence grew.

Morrisette on penalties is something of beauty. I've not seen anyone as good as him at them at any level.

osh

Sorry to disagree with comments saying we didn't deserve a point or win etc. firstly, we got a taste of our own medicine last night. Panthers were up for the game from the off and were more physical and quicker than we were. They dominated the play for 2 periods, but, thanks to Bowns we kept it to only a goal difference going into the final period, and finally woke up and started to play like we should have for the previous 40 minutes.
I've been critical of Bowns in some games this season, stating he would want a few goals back here and there, but last night he proved his worth and enabled us to take the O/T win and a deserved MOM. Let's not forget how many very good saves their n/m made as well. Whilst not playing anywhere near our best ( a problem for Lord I think with his combinations) we hung on and ground out an equaliser and then the only goal of the pen shoot out, so that is why we deserved a point in normal time, and were very lucky to have Mr reliable score his usual pen for us to take the win.
Impressed with Panthers and the way they played, but we hung on without playing to the high standard we've seen in many other games this season. We needed the win last night after getting turned over the night before in Edinburgh and there are things we need to work on, but I hope others ( Mooney ) etc who are more technically qualified than myself can put their finger on where we need to go from here. I am particularly worried about our D and the amount of times we fail to clear the D zone and coughing up the puck too easily.

mazza03

Shocking first two periods we couldn't win a face off and couldn't keep hold of the puck, the times we gave it away was pathetic.
I still feel that there is something not quite gelling with the team, not a patch on last years team.
Bownsy was outstanding and as been said if it wasn't for him the scoreline would have looked terrible. :eek:

I struggle to understand how people are moaning and saying we are not a patch on last years team when where sitting at the top of the league!?!?

voth26

benh84 said:
I struggle to understand how people are moaning and saying we are not a patch on last years team when where sitting at the top of the league!?!?
I think people will take being on top of the league but are not happy because there doesn't seem to be the same free flowing exciting hockey we had last year, also we are not as physical with the hits and checks.

Gospel

This years team haven't gelled as quick as last years and last night was a lucky escape to get any points. However when the chips are down good teams grind out results. Last night MIGHT be a case in question.

There is a lack of physicality compared to last year but that I believe is a conscious decision made by the coaching staff and to try and play slightly differently.

Salters isn't the player he was last season, maybe down to his studies? Maybe injury? But he's not being as imposing as he has been. Others haven't started as quickly either so picking him out alone isn't really fair on him. Marsh has been poor, Hendo too but if the forwards don't backtrack it puts added pressure on the D.

They need to cut out the basic errors of bad passing & poor positional play and things should come together.

What has to also be remembered is that this team is pretty much built for the new arena so hopefully that will show what this team can actually do. However they also have to remember that there is an awful lot of hockey to play before we get there!

Ocko

I havent seen a team dominate us at home like that for a long time. We really did use up a lot of luck there. Panthers were excellent and seemed to have that extra jump and spark that we used to have. They pressured our D, of which a few really arent comfortable on the puck with a little pressure - those players were really singled out by the Panthers and it showed; cough up after cough up and numerous icings.

2/3 lines arent playing well - but not through lack of effort from anyone. The balance is completely wrong, who are the centres? It seemed to change regularly. We have a team of square pegs trying to be forced into round holes. Fortunately we have an abundance of individual talent, which is getting us by. We are at the top of the league, in spite of our chemistry not because of it - which is a worry.

Lord has to gamble and break his line up, otherwise we are going to go through the year asking the same questions. Doucet has to play with Martin, because no-one else is providing for him and he is the guy who will be the difference in being a runner up and winner (like Roy was). Plus they work incredibly well together in OT. When Culligan returns we will hopefully see a difference to the team and he'll bring the balance

That said if that was your first game or first game in a while you wouldnt be anything short of entertained; 4 fights, 3rd period equaliser and a shootout is the stuff you'd dream of as a newbie.

KaneDevils

I picked up on this last weekend where there seems to be conflicting reports. Last night's mnl said kurka was playing out of his skin. Jimmysnels thinks he was terrible??

Got lucky last night but a well ground out two points. I'll take that.

Skippy

Thread starter #19

KaneDevils said:
I picked up on this last weekend where there seems to be conflicting reports. Last night's mnl said kurka was playing out of his skin. Jimmysnels thinks he was terrible??
It comes down to opinion really.

MNL will reflect whatever the people texting report.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk