Devils Vs Panthers - League - 5th Feb 23 - 18:00 FO

kettdevil1

I thought we were dreadful last night but still should have won the game, which is probably more a reflection of just how bad the Panthers are. Glad I missed Saturday, it sounds like an absolute horror show.
The final period was a horror show, the first two periods were more frustrating than anything else as we were just slightly off our normal game but at 2-0 down going into the third, the game felt like a 'next goal wins it' match. Unfortunately when Yellow Horn scored, that was it and we lapsed into very bad habits. I respectfully disagree with Wannabe's view as I love games where the battles are happening away from the puck, there is a lot of needle going on and the crowd are very much into the game, sadly the final period turned into one where we failed to keep any semblance of discipline.

Wasn't at Sunday's game so can't comment but it does feel as though we have too many 'streaky' players. When they are good they are great but they go for weeks where they completely lose the plot, or are anonymous. Not sure what the answer is, I still think it comes down to the fact that our recruitment was slightly off in the Summer and hence, we are desperately trying to balance lines that can't be balanced.

Bringing Fournier in has helped as he plays a game whereby it is less important who he plays with as he is far more of an individual than many of our players and he is also the pest we have needed since September, but we still have so many players (Reid, Crandall, Brittain, even Cox and Sanford come to mind) who need very specific things from their linemates and .... we haven't got enough of the players to satisfy all of them.... which can't be solved no matter who the coach is.

Not sure where we go from here, whatever people think, we are still central to the title race but we can't afford many, if any, more weekends like this one

Kevlar68

I'm not going to go on and on about players that left last season that should have stayed or players this season we shouldn't have signed but this team even from last season which wasn't a stellar team has gone backwards in play, tactics and ability.
The only positive for next season is we can only improve on this team.....i hope.

Gazr76

Tough one to watch last night with some obvious limitations of our team on display.

For me it’s the weekend that the league got away from us…I think Sanford snapping his stick over his knee at the end of the game summed up all of our frustrations.

I never thought bringing Bowns back was the correct thing to do and he showed that last night. Clearly lacking in confidence and him not wanting to leave the comfort of his crease to play the puck with purpose put the D under the pump and led to the first short handed goal. Out of position a few times and clearly doesn’t track the puck as well as top net minders. His reaction to the OT goal was very poor, completely looses the puck but freezes and does even go looking for it.

D - I’m not sure what the organisation see that we don’t. Putting far to much trust in Thompson & Crawford who is previous years would be getting far less ice time.

Richie is solid. Batch had been very disappointing for months. Louis is hardly getting any ice time and doesn’t get the opportunity to do much when he is on.

I’ll give Todd etc the benefit of the doubt that there isn’t anyone to bring in to replace Jardine, if there was I’m sure they’d be playing by now.

F - Not sure any of the 4th line can be called out for not putting the effort in or the ‘limits’ of their skills especially when Penny, Reid, Cranford, Brittain etc aren’t offering much and no doubt coming at s much larger cost.

I can’t see Cox or Sanford being here next season, their agents phone must be ringing o

ff the hook!
I agree. They'll be off to a European team in a higher league for more money I expect. I don't blame them.

ASHIPP

I see Cox and Sanford as classic Giants forwards centred by a huge,, spacemaking, tough playmaker, although, they are skilled enough to create the play themselves. Wouldn't be surprised to see them in the Teal next season.

E.D.S.

I get the doom and gloom right now but don't underestimate the value and reputation that Cardiff has for looking after players. That can go a long way when it comes to retaining players... (waits for someone saying "we treat them too well")... this new ownership group have done wonders for our reputation. Players generally want to stick around because of this.

MA18

I get the doom and gloom right now but don't underestimate the value and reputation that Cardiff has for looking after players. That can go a long way when it comes to retaining players... (waits for someone saying "we treat them too well")... this new ownership group have done wonders for our reputation. Players generally want to stick around because of this.
I agree.
I think if fit and they are asked Coughler and Jardine will repay the Devils with signing back on.
I think players like Cox and Sanford will want winning seasons and silverware over much else.

BostonBart22

Brandt needs to improve?

What facets of his game do you want the 4th line (known in hockey as a checking line) forward to improve upon?

The guy does exactly what is expected of him and then some, and likely for less money than anyone else on the team.

Name a better 4th line import in the league… I’ll wait.
thought he wouldve been mom easily, played without fear unlike others last night...

E.D.S.

Brandt... what a gem! Was it Eberle at Steelers? Used to play 3rd line. Menace. Sure someone will correct me there but I've not seen someone since him play the 3rd/4th line as well as what Brandt does now. Just a classic Devil. in spirit, ability and willingness to put his body on the line. A must for next year and the year after and the year after.....

As for Sanford. I could be corrected here but when he snapped his stick, I thought this was to save face. He stumbled as he went to take the knee and caught the end of his stick which looked like it snapped. He then snapped it properly over his knee. Excellent save from him to spare his blushes but I think I clocked it.

ASHIPP

I agree.
I think if fit and they are asked Coughler and Jardine will repay the Devils with signing back on.
I think players like Cox and Sanford will want winning seasons and silverware over much else.
A bit like Evan Mosey, you mean, re signing following a long term injury at the Devils which the Owners paid a fortune for in medical and sporting recuperation to get his career resurrected. He even had the gaul to say he was going to re-sign for our Club! Yes he went to a French club when our league was in lockdown.....but returned to the Elite League to sign for the Steelers instead.

That proved to me that most players are only after the highest contract. There is little loyalty anywhere these days.

Brandt... what a gem! Was it Eberle at Steelers? Used to play 3rd line. Menace. Sure someone will correct me there but I've not seen someone since him play the 3rd/4th line as well as what Brandt does now. Just a classic Devil. in spirit, ability and willingness to put his body on the line. A must for next year and the year after and the year after.....

As for Sanford. I could be corrected here but when he snapped his stick, I thought this was to save face. He stumbled as he went to take the knee and caught the end of his stick which looked like it snapped. He then snapped it properly over his knee. Excellent save from him to spare his blushes but I think I clocked it.
Haha - though I must say, I actually quite like seeing players lash out a bit (like Carruth smashing his stick against the goal frame last year against the Panthers when he conceded) - it shows they care and have a desire to win! Agree with everything you say about Brandt too btw.

kettdevil1

Tanner Eberle, decent player and as you say, a pest.

I would throw into the mix Adam Keefe and Daryl Lloyd as third liners back in the day..... used to hate Lloyd with a passion but he did his job as well as any rink rat I have known. Brandt is not in that class (and to be fair is a different player) but, he brings energy and enthusiasm every shift

E.D.S.

A bit like Evan Mosey, you mean, re signing following a long term injury at the Devils which the Owners paid a fortune for in medical and sporting recuperation to get his career resurrected. He even had the gaul to say he was going to re-sign for our Club! Yes he went to a French club when our league was in lockdown.....but returned to the Elite League to sign for the Steelers instead.

That proved to me that most players are only after the highest contract. There is little loyalty anywhere these days.
I don't think that's what happened to Mosey ASHIPP. Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick but I'm sure he covered this in his 2 Ales chat or I may be getting confused.

E.D.S.

Tanner Eberle, decent player and as you say, a pest.

I would throw into the mix Adam Keefe and Daryl Lloyd as third liners back in the day..... used to hate Lloyd with a passion but he did his job as well as any rink rat I have known. Brandt is not in that class (and to be fair is a different player) but, he brings energy and enthusiasm every shift
Christ... now you're talking... Keefe and Lloyd. Unreal but agree Brandt is a different player but just goes to show how critical these players are and they perform a very different role to the 25 to 35 goals a season type players.

Duggan and Brandt are superb. Davies and Duggan on the PK are superb. It's a shame that we appear to be the best penalty killers of our own powerplay ;).

Brandt could be a future captain, for me, if he sticks around long enough.

MA18

He would have signed, he thought he was going to get signed, Skalde didn’t want to sign him. He didn’t want to end up at the Steelers that season.

ASHIPP

He would have signed, he thought he was going to get signed, Skalde didn’t want to sign him. He didn’t want to end up at the Steelers that season.
Thought Todd was the overall boss when it came to recruitment decisions? Steelers gain, Devils loss which we can regretfully see most nights...Mosey was a fan favorite and a genuine two-way player who could slot in well on defence and as a forward. Who do we have now that does that successfully?

Fair play if Mosey has cleared up speculation by telling the story earlier and I didn't realise that. Bet he doesn't have any regrets moving to Steelers, they are battling hard and getting points at the moment and he appears very happy there.

Wannabe2

I see Cox and Sanford as classic Giants forwards centred by a huge,, spacemaking, tough playmaker, although, they are skilled enough to create the play themselves. Wouldn't be surprised to see them in the Teal next season.
Can’t disagree with you more mate, if we lose them it most certainly won’t be to another Elite team. Europe maybe but another Elite team no way, and to a rival think they have more class than that.

MA18

Thought Todd was the overall boss when it came to recruitment decisions? Steelers gain, Devils loss which we can regretfully see most nights...Mosey was a fan favorite and a genuine two-way player who could slot in well on defence and as a forward. Who do we have now that does that successfully?

Fair play if Mosey has cleared up speculation by telling the story earlier and I didn't realise that. Bet he doesn't have any regrets moving to Steelers, they are battling hard and getting points at the moment and he appears very happy there.
He’s spoken on a few podcast pretty openly about it.
I know he was gutted not to resign here as he enjoyed cardiff, had plans here and was enjoying it all.
I think he’d have rather been in cardiff but I don’t see him coming back now he’d obviously well liked in Sheffield.
Devils loss Steelers gain.