Devils Vs Panthers - League - 5th Feb 23 - 18:00 FO

MA18

Definately not Coughler for me as he’s had too many concussions and I’ve heard a rumour that he doesn’t fancy it and is just seeing his contract out!
I don’t buy it. The organisation must be expecting them back at some point otherwise they’d be packed up and out of Cardiff already with or without replacements ready to join the line up.
Isn’t enough money to keep them around to see their contracts out.

Ejercito Rojas

I don’t buy it. The organisation must be expecting them back at some point otherwise they’d be packed up and out of Cardiff already with or without replacements ready to join the line up.
Isn’t enough money to keep them around to see their contracts out.
That’s the point though, there really is no expected time to return to sport after a concussion.
With following the concussion protocol the ‘ average’ time out before a return to sport is around 3 weeks, however concussion is a very individualised injury and depending on the grade of injury the effects can last for months.
So in short, when is it safe for an athlete to return to competitive sport?
The answer is when and only when the doctor gives the all clear. The athlete in question only has to say to the doctor something like, “I felt a little dizzy this morning when I got up” or “ I went to bed early last night with a headache” and it’s all bets are off and almost back to square one.
Now I’m NOT saying this is the case with either Jardine and Coughler, I’m merely pointing out the difficulty regarding predicting a return to playing after such an injury.

When is a headache just a headache and when is it a residual concussion symptom?
The truth is that you have to treat it as if it’s the latter.

BostonBart22

Poor, poor, poor game, I blame the shirts, serious though something happening behind the scenes IMHO, don't think jardines injured he wants out , but his 3 year contract is keeping him here until someone buys it that's what I heard ...anyway rant over about jardine,,where was fournier, he was on the gamesheet but no explanation on his no show last night, didn't even see him on balcony with others up there, so we are 3 imports down now, can we borrow some off giants and steelers ...just saying

E.D.S.

Finally and genuinely, I sit in block 5 so I was 200ft + away but wtf was Bowns doing for their OT winner?
The issue isn’t Bowns. The issue is why are there three Panthers players within two yards of our goal and no Devils players? Any rebound is clearly going to be picked up by them. Bowns thinks he has it it in his padding. No way of knowing for sure but he’s left out to dry by his team. No support at all. Just a woeful defensive display. The replay is pretty conclusive for me.
We were lazy in OT. Crawford on the ice in OT will always concern me. We still have to defend in OT, something he can’t do.

Rempel16

Both Brandt and Fournier need to improve to secure their places, I’m repeating myself, those people want to come at me again fine. The simple fact is, both to date have only proved fans want their personalities, what the club needs is those personalities combined with talent. That’s why they need to improve, if the club want to keep fan engagement the owners need to stop talking & act.
Brandt needs to improve?

What facets of his game do you want the 4th line (known in hockey as a checking line) forward to improve upon?

The guy does exactly what is expected of him and then some, and likely for less money than anyone else on the team.

Name a better 4th line import in the league… I’ll wait.

lloyd_jeff

I don’t have to state a name to know that this team has players that need to improve. Why does a 4th line need to be poor, whilst l agree he’s doing the job in this dire team, in my humble armchair opinion, as is yours, an improved team & league in 23/24 (I wouldn’t hold my breath) Brandt would be out muscled and out played. A 5’7 forward is too small & his game isn’t exactly hockey gold, he's developing & if we want a team to grow, he’s perfect, if you want a team to win trophies, he’s not the guy.

Rempel16

I don’t have to state a name to know that this team has players that need to improve. Why does a 4th line need to be poor, whilst l agree he’s doing the job in this dire team, in my humble armchair opinion, as is yours, an improved team & league in 23/24 (I wouldn’t hold my breath) Brandt would be out muscled and out played. A 5’7 forward is too small & his game isn’t exactly hockey gold, he's developing & if we want a team to grow, he’s perfect, if you want a team to win trophies, he’s not the guy.
Who said a 4th line needs to be poor?

The purpose of a 4th line is to play solid defence, not get scored on, make hits and give lines 1 and 2 time to rest.
Any offensive output is a bonus. Our 4th line is bloody excellent at all of this and contributes with goals too.

You’ve clearly not seen Brandt play if you think he’s going to be outmuscled. And if you have you’ve not watched him closely enough to see his hockey smarts.

He has flaws for sure, but he’s a perfect 4th liner in a developing team or a title winning team.

Brandt is definitely not the reason for this weekend.

I’ll leave your 5’7 comment as that’s simply ignorant given he hits bigger than most guys, regardless of size.

if we don't bring in replacements now our season is done imho.we won't win many games with 12 imports plus we are likely to suffer further injuries because some players will be logging more minutes than they should be.winning the play offs and finishing top 3 is wishfull thinking and id be suprised if we even make nottingham this year.

Ejercito Rojas

There are many players on this team that need to take a look in the mirror. Many of them are established pros who the team is supposed to be relying upon to lead by example.
Riley Brandt is not one of them.
Oh and by the way Crawford spent more than 30 mins on the ice last night I believe, tired workers make more mistakes!

lloyd_jeff

Who said a 4th line needs to be poor?

The purpose of a 4th line is to play solid defence, not get scored on, make hits and give lines 1 and 2 time to rest.
Any offensive output is a bonus. Our 4th line is bloody excellent at all of this and contributes with goals too.

You’ve clearly not seen Brandt play if you think he’s going to be outmuscled. And if you have you’ve not watched him closely enough to see his hockey smarts.

He has flaws for sure, but he’s a perfect 4th liner in a developing team or a title winning team.

Brandt is definitely not the reason for this weekend.

I’ll leave your 5’7 comment as that’s simply ignorant given he hits bigger than most guys, regardless of size.
It’s your opinion, l respect that. You could be right.

lloyd_jeff

I’m not blaming Brandt for our performance, I’m simply stating to go forward we need better, in Brandt case l don’t believe he’d be up to it. It’s very simple, he’s knower near the perfect player, that’s not to say he’s not getting there, just don’t believe next yr he’d be that finished player.

Rempel16

It’s your opinion, l respect that. You could be right.
As could you be right. No-one's opinion is less valid than anyone else's.

In respect of needing better than Brandt to go forward.... The guy isn't a defensive liability, he hits like a train, has good positional awareness, always makes the smart play and puts the team first.

For me, I'd rather keep that and upgrade elsewhere where it is clear that some of the higher calibre players are letting the team down badly, relative to expectation.

Kevin roog

Bigger problems with the team than Brandt, only forward who hits, don’t see him on social media every day talking about what he’s gonna do, and he’s very popular, his shirt went for over a grand last night, sort out the defence first

TL91

Bigger problems with the team than Brandt, only forward who hits, don’t see him on social media every day talking about what he’s gonna do, and he’s very popular, his shirt went for over a grand last night, sort out the defence first
Judging by this post and numerous others from you in this thread, you’re deff not a fan of Fournier!

Kevin roog

Big fan of him in front of the net, big fan of his wind up play , not a fan of him popping up every day on my Twitter, even though I don’t follow him, and don’t buy he’s the best fighter in our league

TL91

Big fan of him in front of the net, big fan of his wind up play , not a fan of him popping up every day on my Twitter, even though I don’t follow him, and don’t buy he’s the best fighter in our league
Has anyone said he’s the best fighter in our league? Or is that from him? My view is he’ll drop the gloves with anyone, but not the best fighter.