Devils Vs Panthers - League - 2nd Dec 23 - FO 19:00

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #1
Devils face the Panthers on Saturday night at home in Cardiff. First game between the two since the Panthers resumed playin and what is sure to be an emotional return to the ice for both teams.

DevilsVPanthers.jpg

Devils are sitting 2nd currently tied on points with the Steelers and 6 ahead of the Panthers, but with 4 games to spare a result tonight might be critical to hopes of regaining the league title.

Hedd Wyn John

We need to come out full throttle on this one. We're turning up pressure on the Steelers in the title race, so need to keep up our consistency and take full points where we can.

OJLloyd2

Toothless first period.

Get forward, cycle it round, soft shot on goal.

Or my favourite tactic - give it up and let them score.

Hedd Wyn John

Powerplay aside the team just can't seem to produce 5 on 5. Plenty of half chances but Panthers just not looking troubled. Meanwhile almost everything they touch seems to go in. Saying that though Belfast or Sheffield would probably roll this Panther side over- which is concerning.

OJLloyd2

So many shots from the outside, real low percentage plays.

Whilst we look like we’ve had a decent amount of possession etc, we are have been well controlled by a team with a game plan.

Pembo

Panthers played perfect road game, force Devils into long shots from blue line and deny space in the middle, using their speed and vision to catch us flat footed on breakaways. They are definitely going to be in contention for league and playoffs this season.

Swarley

Better team better goalie, definitely alot to take in after tonight's performance, need to find a way to get the back of the net against their goalie more often because he is so difficult to score against

Hedd Wyn John

So many shots from the outside, real low percentage plays.

Whilst we look like we’ve had a decent amount of possession etc, we are have been well controlled by a team with a game plan.
It reminded me a lot of our home loss to Giants in October, that time we got outmuscled and kept out to the boards/blue line so ended up resorting to lots of low percentage shots. Panthers pretty much followed that game plan from the getgo.

Wannabe2

We were pretty lousy tonight, disjointed and never at the races, they have a very good netminder but we made them look good. Consistency is what will win this league and unfortunately we don’t have that, we are very good when we play as we can, but extremely lousy when we don’t. Hate to say this but in my view Steelers will take the league this season, Giants are poor so far, but will remedy that, so yes it’s early days but I think we are a 3rd/,4th team. Certainly not a league champions team sorry to say, and tonight’s fiasco only confirmed that, we have a pretty lousy defence and too many okay players , and okay players don’t win championships unfortunately.

Hedd Wyn John

We were pretty lousy tonight, disjointed and never at the races, they have a very good netminder but we made them look good. Consistency is what will win this league and unfortunately we don’t have that, we are very good when we play as we can, but extremely lousy when we don’t. Hate to say this but in my view Steelers will take the league this season, Giants are poor so far, but will remedy that, so yes it’s early days but I think we are a 3rd/,4th team. Certainly not a league champions team sorry to say, and tonight’s fiasco only confirmed that, we have a pretty lousy defence and too many okay players , and okay players don’t win championships unfortunately.
I don't like being pessimistic but I dont think you're off the mark really. League winners can pull out results even when they play badly. I remember watching Lordos league winning teams- time and time again- we'd win games we had to no business of winning. We'd be down, struggling and then producing some magic and find ways of winning. Here when we're playing poorly - we nearly always get beat.

Devils86

A few games a season which get filed under: an off night.

We were not good; very little fight or stomach; no fluidity and zero luck. We made their NM look better than he was, and they took their chances. They also did the dirty stuff well under the radar with Caruso managing to get away with plenty until late.

Overall a bad night at the office. We have them. I don't personally see this Panthers side winning anything this year unless they improve as I would expect the Steelers to roll them over and both ourselves and Giants would also (but only if we show up!).

Pre-match thought we would win tonight and lose tomorrow, given how inconsistent we can be. Lets hope we turn it around after a PR dressing down

Poor overall performance. Lacking the vision to see that when you have a hot opposition goalie (that also fills more of the net than most), you simply have to move the goalie and create back door chances at a half empty net. Devils shots were straight in the goalie’s midriff, and there was minimal Devils movement off the puck, making it easy for a well organised defence to defend against.

Wasn‘t a fan of the Panthers frequently taking stick liberties on Bowns, nobody standing up to protect him.

Was looking for a plan B to be introduced but struggled to notice any significant differences. Appreciate we had a game on Wednesday and Panthers didn’t, but if I had to use one word to describe the Devils performance tonight, it would be lacklustre

Hoping for a bounce back performance tomorrow.

Good to see the Panthers back playing. Well done on your win. Safe journey home