Devils Vs Gothics - Pre-Season - 2nd Sep 23 (FO 19:00) & 3rd Sep 23 (FO 16:00)

kettdevil1

Well that was unexpected. Possibly the least friendly, 'friendly' I have ever seen and tremendous entertainment because of it. Amiens came with a game plan that involved excessive use of sticks and sly digs and I think we now have an answer as to whether we will be bullied this season. Every action from an Amiens player resulted in an escalated action from a Devil and the brawl at the end felt inevitable from early on. Having 'bigged up' the Amiens NM before the game, he had a very poor game and although the scoreline flattered us a bit, it was still a very comfortable win.

There were so many takeaways but for me the key one was what a difference PR has already made. The PP is still not the finished article but there was a clear plan and two pp goals was a decent return, the transition play no longer depended on stretch passing and the transformation of certain players (most notably the excellent Crandall and an old school Josh Batch) was fantastic to see.

My first look at the newcomers and I loved Arniel's vision, Rymsha's ability to focus on defence and Barrow's physical play. The real surprise though was Mosey who threw two monster checks, was at the centre of a lot of the physical confrontations and won all his battles. I really don't remember this side of him before.

No idea if supplementary discipline kicks in for pre-season but if so then Brandt will probably sit for a couple but.... happy enough with that as he certainly made a statement and happy enough with all aspects of the team at this stage. On this evidence there is a purpose to the team that has been missing since the Lordo years.

Roll on 4pm.

moggy#9

I'll add some game thoughts a little later, but I continue to be frustrated at the highlights package. They manage to completely ignore the incident which led to barndt being thrown out. They also manage to completely ignore harewood's 1 on 1.

How many times does it have to be said, highlights should reflect the whole game, not just the goals.

JC23

I remember this used to be a trademark of Kevin Noble and I'm sure caused a nasty career ending knee injury on Wally. I may also be wrong and pointing the finger at Noble as to be quite honest I hated that rat of a player.
Close, but not quite.

Noble was indeed an absolute rat of a player, but it was Carl Hudson who he almost ended the career of, with a low bridge which sent Huddy flying over him, and almost took his knees out for life.

Wally was first man in and fought No-balls Noble - Wally’s knee was made of glass long before this sadly.

MA18

I'll add some game thoughts a little later, but I continue to be frustrated at the highlights package. They manage to completely ignore the incident which led to barndt being thrown out. They also manage to completely ignore harewood's 1 on 1.

How many times does it have to be said, highlights should reflect the whole game, not just the goals.
I’ve always found it poor, especially when the club have links with CardiffMet who run a number of sport’s performance and sports media courses. Surely the two can link up somehow.

MA18

If I was Todd and PR I’d be a bit put out that we’ve given Amiens the opportunity to come here to play back to back games and they went out to play a game that was full of cheap shots, unnecessary late hits, hit elbows and legs being taken under players.

I love the physical side of the game but it was all a bit OTT IMO.

While we held our own with Chad, Brandt, Barrow and even Mosey stepping up I think it showed that will PR not want to play an overly physical game we don’t have much choice should the opposition take it that way.

It was always going to end in a brawl like it did and unfortunately when Brandt is giving away a bit of size and not really being a fighter it doesn’t put a stop to the antics.

That’s being said I’m really impressed with the roster this year, some great skills and the partnerships/lines are coming together nicely. We’ve got some great characters too, Rymsha is clearly enjoying himself, Donaghey skated a lot better than he did against Belfast, a frustrated Mosey entertained me all night.

Shame I have plans and can’t be there this afternoon.

Devil94

Or you could look at it the other way, Amiens have driven all the way here and provided us with 2 games when no one else was available.

Fair play to them I say. They would have known that we would be more physical than what they're probably used to, and they came in and gave it a good crack. We're no angels ourselves and I'm sure a lot of their antics would have been in retaliation to something we had done.

MA18

Or you could look at it the other way, Amiens have driven all the way here and provided us with 2 games when no one else was available.

Fair play to them I say. They would have known that we would be more physical than what they're probably used to, and they came in and gave it a good crack. We're no angels ourselves and I'm sure a lot of their antics would have been in retaliation to something we had done.
I not sure about that. From where I was sitting they came across as a poor team littered with poor players that got frustrated very quickly that they couldn’t play us.

As I said, love a physical game but 3 periods of cheap shots did get a bit tiresome IMO.

lloyd_jeff

Well so far it’s as if Todd and the owners actually read and implement everything written by members of the Inferno regarding game and player expectations. It’s fantastic, let’s see this going into games that matter…

moggy#9

Other than the comment about them coming to play when there were few options, I completely disagree. Even if you're frustrated with physical play, you respond with a few solid hits of your own or, if you have no option, drop the gloves. Low hits, stickwork and generally trying to injure your opponent are completely unacceptable. Anyone who tries that deserves to have the crap knocked out of them.

The games so far have illustrated that, no matter what people like Todd and PR mights say, there is still a place for protectors in the game. It looks like batch is willing to step up, but we can't have Brandt being the weapon of first resort against players who are considerably bigger than him.

Given the recruitment of Glasgow this summer, in concerned about how they might approach next weekend.

moggy#9

Well so far it’s as if Todd and the owners actually read and implement everything written by members of the Inferno regarding game and player expectations. It’s fantastic, let’s see this going into games that matter…
Yes they've also kept the player introductions before the teams come out to speed things up, which is great. Now if Todd would just tone down his intro....

MA18

Other than the comment about them coming to play when there were few options, I completely disagree. Even if you're frustrated with physical play, you respond with a few solid hits of your own or, if you have no option, drop the gloves. Low hits, stickwork and generally trying to injure your opponent are completely unacceptable. Anyone who tries that deserves to have the crap knocked out of them.

The games so far have illustrated that, no matter what people like Todd and PR mights say, there is still a place for protectors in the game. It looks like batch is willing to step up, but we can't have Brandt being the weapon of first resort against players who are considerably bigger than him.

Given the recruitment of Glasgow this summer, in concerned about how they might approach next weekend.
Completely agree.

I understand why Louis isn’t here anymore but I’m not sure Batch has the minerals to stamp much out unfortunately.

moggy#9

Completely agree.

I understand why Louis isn’t here anymore but I’m not sure Batch has the minerals to stamp much out unfortunately.
Yes, we have to play the game as it is, not as we'd wish it to be. If eihl teams can't match our speed this is exactly the sort of tactics they'll resort to.

Devil94

I not sure about that. From where I was sitting they came across as a poor team littered with poor players that got frustrated very quickly that they couldn’t play us.

As I said, love a physical game but 3 periods of cheap shots did get a bit tiresome IMO.
I must have seen a few stuff that you missed then. There was plenty of it going on from both sides.

MA18

I must have seen a few stuff that you missed then. There was plenty of it going on from both sides.
The devils couldn’t just go passive though could they.
Surprised we didn’t pick up a few injuries, which pre season would have been awful.

I think PR getting off the bench in the third was probably a sign is was a few levels to high.

moggy#9

Interestingly the amiens twitter feed talks about last night ending like a boxing match and getting revenge tonight. I hope that their intention was to imply in terms of the scoreline, because if they mean some other way, then things could get messy.

Finny

You must be utterly gutted.

Finny

As others have said a very entertaining un-friendly pre-season games.

Important not to get too carried away as Amiens are likely to be lower in quality than anything in the EIHL this season, but I’m also not sure we ever got out of third gear.
PP is starting to look better and already has more variety than the whole of last year. Some of the chemistry is starting to show as the new players start to find their feet.

Oh, and Joey Martin has still got it hasn’t he!

Amiens match report :-

Another new destination this year for the Gothic and their preparation. In the United Kingdom this time, to face the Cardiff Devils. If we expected strong opposition, it was indeed a very strong opposition that presented itself against Mario Richer's men. Stronger in all compartments of the game, physically, technically and collectively, the Devils left the Amiénois no chance.

Even if Mathieu Boucher gave the Gothiques the advantage at the beginning of the match, on a recovery due to a good pressing, the Amiénois could not compete for very long. And Jared Freadrich's reduction in the score at the very end of the game does not change much to this loss on the score of 8 goals to 2.

Member of a championship that gives pride of place to physics, the Welshmen made Romain Bault and his teammates live a very stormy end of the match, which announces an act II tomorrow afternoon very hot...

Meet at 5 p.m. (Fraiçaise time) to follow the live of the match on the Gothiques app.

moggy#9

A few random comments from last night:

Harewood has looks ready for elite league. It's a dilemma whether to put him in Bristol for another year or give him a step up. If he does play with the pit bulls, he could be a dominant player.

White-sey looks very capable, though green. He needs to play with Bristol, not Slough this season.

I've been a critic of Ben bowns, but I didn't see him put a foot wrong last night. Excellent positioning and he clearly had confidence in those around him. Josh batch also looked solid.

Brandt. What can I say. This guy is the heart and soul of the team. He'll stick up for his team mates and a well taken goal.

All of the new guys were great but rymsha is looking very effective and Busch is showing that he could be a real problem for opponents around the net.

The pp is starting to show signs of life. The movement and awareness is streets ahead of last season. There also seemed to be a bit of swagger. Cox seemed to aim for the rebound off the defnceman's skate for his goal.

I know that amien are one of the weaker opponents we'll see this season, but these games are about getting things worked out. I can't remember a devils team looking so coherent this early since, well... Ever.

doron

i 2. would have to say, Ben bowns had a great game well done. Harewood looked good also. game 2 up next . let us see what happens