Devils Vs Giants - Pre-season - 26th Aug 23 - 19:00 FO

Wannabe2

God what a breath of fresh air this team and coaching staff are, the off season seemed like an age, but this team look like the wait was well worth it, we are younger, faster, directional, confident, gritty, and entertaining. When you go two goals down against Belfast, but not one head drops you witness a team that has faith in each other, and that certainly rubs off onto their fans. Two very entertaining games over the weekend, and hopefully more of the same to come, the crowd for a pre season game was awesome, obviously the price helped but those punters will be back after that display. So thank you Devils for a great weekend, and most certainly and a pleasure to say HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

mjh

Enjoyed the game but not a fan of the chl rules. However, it did highlight how effective Belfast's PP was compared to ours which was pretty poor last night. We also struggled at times to get any decent time in the offensive zone. That being said we took chances really really well and kept powering through. I felt the coaching team looked in control throughout and the players will build chemistry and minimise the dodgy passes. Rymsha looks like a handful and played physical hockey. Crandall also played his heart out and had a good game. Great to have hockey back and I'm confident we'll be competing for silverware come the end of the season, based on the evidence of this weekend.

Devil94

Well it looks like one thing that hasn't changed from last season is our piss poor highlights package. I couldn't make it last night so I'm looking forward to reading more posts on here about the game and the new guys as there's nothing to see on the video.

Great start on the ice though, very promising indeed.

Pondlife

So to summarise the weekend;

We beat Belfast twice H&A.
Despite going down early doors heads remained cool and last night's 2nd period right up there for entertainment.
Batchy dropped the gloves.
Nobody is bullying us this season, everyone was up for it pretty much
Yes obviously special teams need work but half the team only met each other a week ago
Based on the merch around the arena and the queue for the shop, no-one really gives a fck about the new logo
Joey Martin will again be one of if not the best 200ft players in the league.
and finally we beat Belfast twice H&A (it's worth repeating)

moggy#9

It's hard to know where to start with last night. In late August we're usually happy to see any hockey. The expectation is usually a glorified training session. If I saw a game with that much fire at the height of a season, I'd be impressed. To play two games at that level after less than a week together bodes extremely well for the season.

As so many others have said, the CHL power play rules suck. I'm glad to see teams staying 5 on 5 for coincidental, but giving a team a massive advantage for a potentially dubious calls is ludicrous. That brings me on to the special teams. We obviously struggled but, in the case of the pp, that seemed to be more about being slightly off on execution (which will come). There was good movement and creativity. Against a lesser opponent we may well have scored a few. Already it feels like a breath of fresh air compared to last season.

Defensively there were a few lapses. I would have preferred for us to have a proper stay at home defencemen on the team, but I accept that this is about PRs approach to the game, and it wouldn't work in his system. I was impressed by rymsha and, among the forwards, I was encouraged to see Sanford has really upped his defensive game.

Booth had me worried in the first few minutes when we went 3 down, but as there game progressed he seemed to settle. His positioning started to look solid and he started to look liked the top tier goalie we need to get silverware.

The 4th line was impressive. Aside from the 4th Belfast goal, when Keefe got a favourable line change while they were tired, they brought the energy all night.

I'm reserving judgment on the new guys for the most part, but I'm feeling positive. Hopefully next weekend we'll get to see harewood to see how he's progressing.

In terms of presentation, I really liked the new "let's go" video and I liked doing all of the player introductions before they come into the ice (to speed things up). The thing with phone lights was fun too. I think that'd work really well as part of the intro. We just need to steal the microphone away from Todd, to stop him doing his "your team, the home team" bit. It wasn't needed in the old days, it isn't needed now. The ice is a lot busier now with all the adverts, but in person it wasn't as noticeable as when you watch the stream. I don't like it, but I understand why it's necessary. Thank goodness we don't have animated advertising boards though.

All in all, I'm really buzzing. I can't wait to see us against angers, but I can't see that game having the edge this one did.

moggy#9

So to summarise the weekend;

We beat Belfast twice H&A.
Despite going down early doors heads remained cool and last night's 2nd period right up there for entertainment.
Batchy dropped the gloves.
Nobody is bullying us this season, everyone was up for it pretty much
Yes obviously special teams need work but half the team only met each other a week ago
Based on the merch around the arena and the queue for the shop, no-one really gives a fck about the new logo
Joey Martin will again be one of if not the best 200ft players in the league.
and finally we beat Belfast twice H&A (it's worth repeating)
Something occurred to me about the logo. If you imagine a vertical line down from the left of the left horn, and then remove everything to the left of that - it actually looks a lot better.

Vartel

There was what seemed like a weird icing call in OT where Devils player got to the goal line first but it was called back as icing. What happened there?

Diafol

The on-ice ads did concern me at the STH night but I was pleasantly surprised to find they don't really get in the way during a game.

Totally agree about the new CHL rules.
I usually enjoy watching CHL but that PP rule is going to see many games being terribly one-sided and boring as a consequence.

Mooney#16

One massive thing I want to see Devils working on and it’s a hangover from last two years is puck movement. Too many players like too much time on the puck and then get pressurised into making a turnover. We do not move the puck quick enough. It’s why the power play struggles and the transition is not brilliant. Skating gets you into space on the ice and you then need passing to get you the puck. There is a lot of individual rushing of the puck and Giants did really well at closing the lanes. Means they leave open areas of the ice and Devils need to get much better at getting a player into these and in possession of the puck. Giants penalty killers absolutely harassed the PP and were quicker than the puck could be moved which hugely frustrating to watch. I only raise it as it’s a legacy issue with some players and it really needs coaching out of them especially in pre season.

Despite Devils winning in OT it was about 4 mins of solid Giants pressure and Devils scored on first rush into the offensive zone so I’m more cautiously optimistic than some but I do want to see a team that can take authority in a game and not live of counter punching. Plenty of work to do but wins are also wins and you’d rather have just won two games rather than lost them.

The biggest ( only?) downside of an excellent weekend of hockey for me as someone who doesn’t attend games but have to rely on streaming is the bloody ridiculous number font.
The logo never really bothered me too much anyway so I’m not going to mention it……oops
Two of the first three goals, Booth made good saves, but was scored on the rebounds so although it was an unwanted start for him probably not as bad as the 3-0 looked.
How great would it be to have a season filled with that standard of game hopefully including all or most teams.
I have been excited about the season from when PR was announced as coach as he has experience, is successful, knows the league and a lot of the players in it.
It’s only two games but we spent last season although with good success results wise against Belfast , but spent most of the games chasing them around our zone.
Over these two games it seemed a lot more even although there were spells last night where we were buckling but didn’t break.
Last season 3-0 might have turned ugly

doron

chl rules are a nightmare. it put booth on the back foot from the start , but i think he had a great game last night and the same must be said for bowns the night before. i like the effort put in by the players and the advertising on the ice didn't distract from the game so i stand corrected on that one. the webcast last night was well presented so well done on that point, still don't like the logo.

Diablo3

It's hard to know where to start with last night. In late August we're usually happy to see any hockey. The expectation is usually a glorified training session. If I saw a game with that much fire at the height of a season, I'd be impressed. To play two games at that level after less than a week together bodes extremely well for the season.

As so many others have said, the CHL power play rules suck. I'm glad to see teams staying 5 on 5 for coincidental, but giving a team a massive advantage for a potentially dubious calls is ludicrous. That brings me on to the special teams. We obviously struggled but, in the case of the pp, that seemed to be more about being slightly off on execution (which will come). There was good movement and creativity. Against a lesser opponent we may well have scored a few. Already it feels like a breath of fresh air compared to last season.

Defensively there were a few lapses. I would have preferred for us to have a proper stay at home defencemen on the team, but I accept that this is about PRs approach to the game, and it wouldn't work in his system. I was impressed by rymsha and, among the forwards, I was encouraged to see Sanford has really upped his defensive game.

Booth had me worried in the first few minutes when we went 3 down, but as there game progressed he seemed to settle. His positioning started to look solid and he started to look liked the top tier goalie we need to get silverware.

The 4th line was impressive. Aside from the 4th Belfast goal, when Keefe got a favourable line change while they were tired, they brought the energy all night.

I'm reserving judgment on the new guys for the most part, but I'm feeling positive. Hopefully next weekend we'll get to see harewood to see how he's progressing.

In terms of presentation, I really liked the new "let's go" video and I liked doing all of the player introductions before they come into the ice (to speed things up). The thing with phone lights was fun too. I think that'd work really well as part of the intro. We just need to steal the microphone away from Todd, to stop him doing his "your team, the home team" bit. It wasn't needed in the old days, it isn't needed now. The ice is a lot busier now with all the adverts, but in person it wasn't as noticeable as when you watch the stream. I don't like it, but I understand why it's necessary. Thank goodness we don't have animated advertising boards though.

All in all, I'm really buzzing. I can't wait to see us against angers, but I can't see that game having the edge this one did.
Agree with most of what you say but sorry, Todds introduction is a tradition. We are all saying it along with him and it wouldn't be the same without it. Long may it continue.

BostonBart22

The biggest ( only?) downside of an excellent weekend of hockey for me as someone who doesn’t attend games but have to rely on streaming is the bloody ridiculous number font.
The logo never really bothered me too much anyway so I’m not going to mention it……oops
Two of the first three goals, Booth made good saves, but was scored on the rebounds so although it was an unwanted start for him probably not as bad as the 3-0 looked.
How great would it be to have a season filled with that standard of game hopefully including all or most teams.
I have been excited about the season from when PR was announced as coach as he has experience, is successful, knows the league and a lot of the players in it.
It’s only two games but we spent last season although with good success results wise against Belfast , but spent most of the games chasing them around our zone.
Over these two games it seemed a lot more even although there were spells last night where we were buckling but didn’t break.
Last season 3-0 might have turned ugly
Agree the number zero looks like an 8, even todd mentioned it reading out the winning 50 50 and sohb winning numbers

moggy#9

Agree with most of what you say but sorry, Todds introduction is a tradition. We are all saying it along with him and it wouldn't be the same without it. Long may it continue.
Pah! We used to mock Sheffield for needing to be told when to cheer and look what we became. To my ear it sounds like something more suited to the WWE.

The old logo was more of a tradition, but that got binned when it was deemed to have outlived its usefulness, as were the previous intros.

Diablo3

Pah! We used to mock Sheffield for needing to be told when to cheer and look what we became. To my ear it sounds like something more suited to the WWE.

The old logo was more of a tradition, but that got binned when it was deemed to have outlived its usefulness, as were the previous intros.
Agree with being told when to cheer, but the intro is not it. The "Make some Noise" screen is cringe worthy. The logo, I'm getting used to. But games when Tod isn't there, the intro just doesn't seem the same. I'm sure I'm, not the only one.

kristian

I think introducing the team last night may have been because the face off was put back 30 mins.

Gavevs88

There was what seemed like a weird icing call in OT where Devils player got to the goal line first but it was called back as icing. What happened there?
The one where Crandall was easily the first man to the Puck but they still called icing? Yeah I didn't understand that one either!!