Devils Vs Flyers - League - 2nd Nov 22 - 19:30 FO

MA18

We had one of the acknowledged greatest players ever in British Ice Hockey, let alone the Devils, in the IAW yesterday evening. A privilege and an opportunity for celebration.

Pity more wasn't made of it by the Club...a montage of Doug's great moments and moves (where do you start), a walk to middle ice for an ovation, maybe a meet after the game/autographs or win something of his, instead of just a shared puck drop with a sponsor, a quick thankyou to him and wave to the crowd. Felt it was all a bit rushed as part of all the things they had to squeeze into the pre-game.

Sadly, I doubt many of the so-called newbies and non-hockey people in last night's crowd even had the faintest idea who Doug McEwen is....
We had one of the acknowledged greatest players ever in British Ice Hockey, let alone the Devils, in the IAW yesterday evening. A privilege and an opportunity for celebration.

Pity more wasn't made of it by the Club...a montage of Doug's great moments and moves (where do you start), a walk to middle ice for an ovation, maybe a meet after the game/autographs or win something of his, instead of just a shared puck drop with a sponsor, a quick thankyou to him and wave to the crowd. Felt it was all a bit rushed as part of all the things they had to squeeze into the pre-game.

Sadly, I doubt many of the so-called newbies and non-hockey people in last night's crowd even had the faintest idea who Doug McEwen is....
Bang on! I had a right go at my kid last night for being a 12yr old newbie and not being born in the early 90s….That will teach her.

E.D.S.

I thought it was a cracker of game. I loved the drama for a wet and windy midweek game. Albeit the first period was a bit touch and go. We largely looked in control. I saw so much more puck retention and cycling going on. Then we self destructed in the second. Soft penalties. Great to see Louis with the fire in his belly again. His ability to man handle people, mid ice or against the boards is frightening.

I never saw us losing this game. What I did see were players defending Bownsy's net like they had been impacted by his abuse/criticism as well. They collapsed low down when they needed to and shots just didn't get through. Huge difference from previous nights. The first Flyers goal Bownsy was screened by two Devils so had no chance and the one I guess he'd want back is every goalies weak spot - above the pad, below the glove and close to the body - a nightmare to save. There was a noticeably change in how we defended as a team last night.

Coughler needs to be drug tested. Work rate is off the charts, he tries to do everything. Hit, pass, score, agitate the lot.
Great to see Penny finally arrive with a statement performance and Sanford just showed composure and quality when needed with another impressive work rate. Crandall still feels off the pace for me but this was a good character win. Brandt, again, delivered.

Yes it was Fife but still a morale boosting win.

MA18

I thought it was a cracker of game. I loved the drama for a wet and windy midweek game. Albeit the first period was a bit touch and go. We largely looked in control. I saw so much more puck retention and cycling going on. Then we self destructed in the second. Soft penalties. Great to see Louis with the fire in his belly again. His ability to man handle people, mid ice or against the boards is frightening.

I never saw us losing this game. What I did see were players defending Bownsy's net like they had been impacted by his abuse/criticism as well. They collapsed low down when they needed to and shots just didn't get through. Huge difference from previous nights. The first Flyers goal Bownsy was screened by two Devils so had no chance and the one I guess he'd want back is every goalies weak spot - above the pad, below the glove and close to the body - a nightmare to save. There was a noticeably change in how we defended as a team last night.

Coughler needs to be drug tested. Work rate is off the charts, he tries to do everything. Hit, pass, score, agitate the lot.
Great to see Penny finally arrive with a statement performance and Sanford just showed composure and quality when needed with another impressive work rate. Crandall still feels off the pace for me but this was a good character win. Brandt, again, delivered.

Yes it was Fife but still a morale boosting win.
Agree with all of that but the goal they scored when we were 5 on 3 was weak. You’d expect us to concede in that situation but I think that’s the one he’d want back.

The Batch tripping pen just after that was a coach killer. Made up for it with his well taken goal.

Wannabe2

I've been going for 18 years but I'm still too noob to have seen Doug play. I'm aware of his name but he doesn't really mean anything to me. Always nice to welcome old players back though
Wow James never knew that, must get the dvd I made of him to you, he certainly was something else, prior to signing for us he scored 7 goals against us, you would have loved this legend, greatest ever and a pure Gent.

moggy#9

The true GOAT. I was trying to explain to my kids how good he was and was asked if he had a special move. They were a bit shocked when I said it mainly involved him skating around his own net a couple of times being chased by the opposition (usually Rocky Saganiuk) then skating the length of the ice and scoring. It was a regular thing. Truly and outstanding player ahead of his time in UK Hockey. Effortless.
Although rocky was getting on a bit by then, he was still fit and a ex NHL player. MC just gave him a skating lesson. My favourite moment though was up at Durham. He went coast to coast to score, beating half the wasp team on the ice whilst skating backwards. I remember someone having a t-shirt which said "the trouble with good is that he thinks he's Doug McEwen". He is simply the best to ever lace on skates for this club.

moggy#9

Wow James never knew that, must get the dvd I made of him to you, he certainly was something else, prior to signing for us he scored 7 goals against us, you would have loved this legend, greatest ever and a pure Gent.
Ah yes that game at Lee valley. I believe it was 7+2 in an 11-8 win (defence wasn't do much of a thing in those days).

moggy#9

Doug was a great player in that era and an absolute legend, rightfully so, but it’s worth remembering that he played in an era where defences and goalies were non existent and decent imports regularly scored for fun.

His super league seasons are probably a better test of his ability and he still did a great job across those three seasons (?), but as good as he was I’m not sure he ranks in the top 10 of all time best Devils players let alone top 1. Sorry, unpopular opinion I appreciate.
I respect that opinion, but bear in mind by the time isl came around he was well past his peak. When he was at his peak he compared well to players will excellent pedigrees.

Although a great scorer his best attributes were his skating and defensive ability. Those would, I think, stand up well even if he was playing today.

TL91

That’s very true and I’m sure when you reach the age a lot us are now you’ll have equally the same fond memories. It maybe an age thing, maybe not, many l speak too from that period, some who still go to games, others who don’t, all agree it feels different. Maybe invading the ice after an important game, maybe the closeness of No plexi between you and them. Maybe the newness of the sport, l really don’t know, it just is a special memory of a very special time.
Completely agree…we all look back on a time in any sport with particular fondness. It’s the elitism towards these ‘newbies’ that does it for me. What do we do? Acquire no new fans, the rest of us die and then so does the devils as no one is alive to come watch. It’s talked about as an inclusive sport so how about it, eh?

BostonBart22

Great memories of doug , but one he will want to forget was Ross lambert , Nottingham , suckered punched him and battered him, looked as if mc was in a car crash after that coward pummeled him...rumours police were called by fans to get lambert arrested GBH it was that bad .

The_Stick_

I think the fact we are able to bring in so many “newbies” isn’t to be frowned up, it should be something that every fan should want to embrace. Everyone here has a passion for our team, young or old, and the fact that the team we care about and have such passion for is growing to a new audience is a brilliant sight that I do not wish to slow down at any stage.

Wannabe2

Chinny was on the case mind you, as he always was. Loved Chinny didn’t give a shit about anyone and as a Dinas Powis lad was a local hero.

doron

i always thought chinny gave it his all, especially when lawless had him man-mark a player, and get under their skin. Doug McKeown and Steve Moria. are 2 of the all-time greatest players.

Wannabe2

Great memories of doug , but one he will want to forget was Ross lambert , Nottingham , suckered punched him and battered him, looked as if mc was in a car crash after that coward pummeled him...rumours police were called by fans to get lambert arrested GBH it was that bad
1 nasty incident in 413 league games, and that was sorted.

moggy#9

Great memories of doug , but one he will want to forget was Ross lambert , Nottingham , suckered punched him and battered him, looked as if mc was in a car crash after that coward pummeled him...rumours police were called by fans to get lambert arrested GBH it was that bad .
I hated Lambert - an utter scumbag. I seem to remember he got what he had coming though.

lloyd_jeff

Yes Lambert was an extra special kind of player, after that both players & fans who weren’t particularly fond of use agreed that was uncalled for, cheap & extreme. He did himself no favours that night.

E.D.S.

I respect that opinion, but bear in mind by the time isl came around he was well past his peak. When he was at his peak he compared well to players will excellent pedigrees.

Although a great scorer his best attributes were his skating and defensive ability. Those would, I think, stand up well even if he was playing today.
Agree with you here Moggy plus what Rempel stated about defences and goalies not being as good is harsh, for me. They aren’t as good as when you look at now, but at that time they were the best that was around. Goalies hadn’t heard of the butterfly to fill the net. The closest we had was Nottinghams David Graham who was massive and just used to lie down. You can’t really compare the product then to now but I firmly believe (even with my rose tinted spectacles) that Dougie is one of only a handful of players that could make it in this league now from the old era. For those newbies who didnt see him play think of Fourniers skating ability, with Hotham’s hands and Trevor Coxs vision and you’d be almost there.
I don’t think you can point to the defensive capabilities and goalie standards of old as a reason for Dougie’s success. It’s like saying the footy players of old were slow and cumbersome that’s why Pele scored as many as he did or looking back at Ronaldo/Messi in 20 years time and remarking on the poor defending. The game evolves and MC would have evolved with it.

Gavevs88

Those "Newbies" keep the club going though......we were all newbies once upon a time.

Rempel16

Agree with you here Moggy plus what Rempel stated about defences and goalies not being as good is harsh, for me. They aren’t as good as when you look at now, but at that time they were the best that was around. Goalies hadn’t heard of the butterfly to fill the net. The closest we had was Nottinghams David Graham who was massive and just used to lie down. You can’t really compare the product then to now but I firmly believe (even with my rose tinted spectacles) that Dougie is one of only a handful of players that could make it in this league now from the old era. For those newbies who didnt see him play think of Fourniers skating ability, with Hotham’s hands and Trevor Coxs vision and you’d be almost there.
I don’t think you can point to the defensive capabilities and goalie standards of old as a reason for Dougie’s success. It’s like saying the footy players of old were slow and cumbersome that’s why Pele scored as many as he did or looking back at Ronaldo/Messi in 20 years time and remarking on the poor defending. The game evolves and MC would have evolved with it.
The goalies were some of the best around? I respect your opinions but they were nowhere near it.

He wasn’t the only player to have put up north of 150 points in a 30 game season.

You mentioned Hotham, Fournier and Cox as comparators. I think each of these would break 200 points with ease in those days.

It was entertaining for sure, but the standard was very bad compared to the ISL and the product we had pre covid.

I so want to believe that prime Dougie could transition and I’m sure he’d be a good player in this league today.

But i don’t think he’d have a hope of going coast to coast like he could in that era.

I’m just disputing his place as top Devil of all time, not that I don’t rate what he did in that era

Slartibartfast

I hated Lambert - an utter scumbag. I seem to remember he got what he had coming though.
Yes I seem to recall Chinny giving him a good battering. Chinny was still a youngster so it added insult to injury, the so called tough guy getting battered by a kid. Great days but the standard of hockey now is much higher so there is no point making comparisons.