Devils Vs Flyers - League - 2nd Nov 22 - 19:30 FO

Kevlar68

I didn't see the game but saw the scores coming in on EIHL. Was this game in a parallel universe? I mean, Martin fighting, Batch scoring, crazy back and forth scoreline.
A good much needed 2 points. Let's push on from this.

BostonBart22

Enjoyed that game, a vast improvement from last few games, some quality saves from bowns at crucial times when we were losing, the 3rd period was on a par when we beat storm 8 .1 pre season, good to see doug mcewen as well.

lloyd_jeff

Still a very disjointed performance although it showed periods when capable players wake up to the fact their in a hockey game. Score line says it all really. Don’t know why players are so up & down, my opinion is still one of coasting & yet again this season the beginnings of the rot appears in results & the inevitable consequence gets addressed & we see a fight back. Hopefully that lasts longer than previous seasons and we take this, improve and start dominating in the way we can. At the very least fight for it.

Wannabe2

Much better performance last night, with our team playing like a team, and playing like they can, still very sloppy at times, but a very big improvement. Players playing like they are interested and care which was nice to see, Bownsy pulled off some blinders, and the atmosphere was good to feel. Highlight for me was meeting the greatest player ever to wear a Devils shirt, Sir Doug McEwen, and finally getting Doug to sign my 3 game worn shirts at long last.

bb1

Good comeback and with respect to Fife they battled hard for 2 periods but looks like travel took its toll in the 3rd. If we played 2 periods like that against Giants, Sheffield or Flames we would have got a complete hammering. Bowns is clearly struggling with confidence and its showing. What doesn't help him out is how poor our defence is atm. We look fragile at the back and sadly much weaker than we have ever looked since the Hotham and Hendo days. That matched with either of our net minders having a bad night spells disaster.

I'm gobsmacked with how little Dupont ran the Brandt and Duggan line. Just when you need to get thew crowd going he didn't use those guys. Brandt surely can't be carrying a niggle. If he is it didn't show as he threw a couple of great hits as per usual.

As for the forwards. Penny imo played well and showed what he is capable of. Sanford and Coughler again were on form but still too many guys missing sadly. Dupont needs to address this asap! I still have zero idea why we signed an assistant coach either. He must do an awful lot of work in the background because during games he barely exchanges a sentence with Dupont.

Overall it was gutsy last night but we should never have been in that situation with Fife. They are a decent team (and I know it isn't our devine right to win every game) but we should comfortably have too much for them esp as they were imports down.

MA18

Good comeback and with respect to Fife they battled hard for 2 periods but looks like travel took its toll in the 3rd. If we played 2 periods like that against Giants, Sheffield or Flames we would have got a complete hammering. Bowns is clearly struggling with confidence and its showing. What doesn't help him out is how poor our defence is atm. We look fragile at the back and sadly much weaker than we have ever looked since the Hotham and Hendo days. That matched with either of our net minders having a bad night spells disaster.

I'm gobsmacked with how little Dupont ran the Brandt and Duggan line. Just when you need to get thew crowd going he didn't use those guys. Brandt surely can't be carrying a niggle. If he is it didn't show as he threw a couple of great hits as per usual.

As for the forwards. Penny imo played well and showed what he is capable of. Sanford and Coughler again were on form but still too many guys missing sadly. Dupont needs to address this asap! I still have zero idea why we signed an assistant coach either. He must do an awful lot of work in the background because during games he barely exchanges a sentence with Dupont.

Overall it was gutsy last night but we should never have been in that situation with Fife. They are a decent team (and I know it isn't our devine right to win every game) but we should comfortably have too much for them esp as they were imports down.
Completely agree.

Fife were awful in parts, not sure I’ve seen so many air shots in a game.
Bowns doesn’t look confident, I dread to think what’s going through his head when he knows he’s got a shot coming his way. He’ll want 1 if not 2 of those goals back. So much better saves throughout the game though, that can only build confidence.

Thought the same with Brandt, barely on the ice. Penny showed up, hopefully Britten was watching and can see what he now needs to play too.

Assistant coach might as well make a name for himself, when the Fife equipment guy was man handling Coughler at the benches would have been the ideal opportunity.

jenks33

As somebody said the other day Keefe has had Rob Stewart as his assistant for years and Fox has got Beston-Will as his assistant so it’s probably a bit harsh to criticise the club for bringing horn in. I know we’ve got Franny but he’s got other commitments.
If I’m honest I possibly would have liked us to bring in an assistant with a bit more experience. I feel an older head would really help Dupont at times. It was probably DuPont’s decision though seeing as they both played in Norfolk together.

Last edited:

ASHIPP

Lord had Franny and Jamie Elson That did him wonders. Dupont needs an Assistant Coach who has at least 1. Coached for a while....and is not learning his role alongside a rookie coach. 2. Knows something about this league..

moggy#9

Lord had Franny and Jamie Elson That did him wonders. Dupont needs an Assistant Coach who has at least 1. Coached for a while....and is not learning his role alongside a rookie coach. 2. Knows something about this league..
But who would accept having the shots called by someone with less experience than themselves. I still firmly believe we should have appointed and experienced head coach and then allowed Dupont to develop in an assistant's role.

moggy#9

Much better performance last night, with our team playing like a team, and playing like they can, still very sloppy at times, but a very big improvement. Players playing like they are interested and care which was nice to see, Bownsy pulled off some blinders, and the atmosphere was good to feel. Highlight for me was meeting the greatest player ever to wear a Devils shirt, Sir Doug McEwen, and finally getting Doug to sign my 3 game worn shirts at long last.
Yes, number 7 was the best ever. An incredibly nice guy too. I swear that guy could play anywhere on the ice. If he'd been asked her probably would have kept net. There was a reason he was known as God.

lloyd_jeff

Fond memories in the WNIR, nicest guy on & off the ice, except when pushed, he had a edge to him, always took a lot more than he gave though. Legend.

ASHIPP

We had one of the acknowledged greatest players ever in British Ice Hockey, let alone the Devils, in the IAW yesterday evening. A privilege and an opportunity for celebration.

Pity more wasn't made of it by the Club...a montage of Doug's great moments and moves (where do you start), a walk to middle ice for an ovation, maybe a meet after the game/autographs or win something of his, instead of just a shared puck drop with a sponsor, a quick thankyou to him and wave to the crowd. Felt it was all a bit rushed as part of all the things they had to squeeze into the pre-game.

Sadly, I doubt many of the so-called newbies and non-hockey people in last night's crowd even had the faintest idea who Doug McEwen is....

Last edited:

TL91

We had one of the acknowledged greatest players ever in British Ice Hockey, let alone the Devils, in the IAW yesterday evening. A privilege and an opportunity for celebration.

Pity more wasn't made of it by the Club...a montage of Doug's great moments and moves (where do you start), a walk to middle ice for an ovation, maybe a meet after the game/autographs or win something of his, instead of just a shared puck drop with a sponsor, a quick thankyou to him and wave to the crowd. Felt it was all a bit rushed as part of all the things they had to squeeze into the pre-game.

Sadly, I doubt many of the so-called newbies and non-hockey people in last night's crowd even had the faintest idea who Doug McEwen is....
Newbies…we’ve all got to start somewhere. You were new once too.

E.D.S.

Yes, number 7 was the best ever. An incredibly nice guy too. I swear that guy could play anywhere on the ice. If he'd been asked her probably would have kept net. There was a reason he was known as God.

The true GOAT. I was trying to explain to my kids how good he was and was asked if he had a special move. They were a bit shocked when I said it mainly involved him skating around his own net a couple of times being chased by the opposition (usually Rocky Saganiuk) then skating the length of the ice and scoring. It was a regular thing. Truly and outstanding player ahead of his time in UK Hockey. Effortless.

fridaysfingers

What exactly is a ‘so-called newbie’?

James

Administrator
Thread starter #59
I've been going for 18 years but I'm still too noob to have seen Doug play. I'm aware of his name but he doesn't really mean anything to me. Always nice to welcome old players back though

lloyd_jeff

Newbies…we’ve all got to start somewhere. You were new once too.
That’s very true and I’m sure when you reach the age a lot us are now you’ll have equally the same fond memories. It maybe an age thing, maybe not, many l speak too from that period, some who still go to games, others who don’t, all agree it feels different. Maybe invading the ice after an important game, maybe the closeness of No plexi between you and them. Maybe the newness of the sport, l really don’t know, it just is a special memory of a very special time.